Wrestling a Grizz to the death

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
So , I have a question. If we encounter a Grizz on our elk hunt next month, what is the best strategy. I will have my chest rig handgun of course. But , from what ive heard, i will be lucky to get one or two shots off before the bear gets on top of me. I know a little jitz from watching UFC for many years. Should I try a triangle choke? Maybe keep in my guard for a minute until I can get my knife out and stab im in the gizzard? How about just carrying a bigger knife and charge the bear like brad pitt at the end of Legends of The Fall? You think it would just run off from the shock of me charging it? Or would it just be better to spray myself with bear spray and hope it doesnt like the taste of it on my body? This is a serious inquiry. I want to be prepared.
Stick your hand down it’s throat and pull out it’s heart. Works 100% of the time.

link

FNG
If this is in fact a serious inquiry, like you said. I'd suggest you stay at home and watch elk hunting videos on you tube.

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
Stick your hand down it’s throat and pull out it’s heart. Works 100% of the time.
I hate to rain in this parade of insightful tips and tricks for surviving a bear attack with some true stories from family that they've shared with me ... but... my aunt's brother-in-law was on a hunt in Alaska and got attacked by a bear. He had .44 in a chest rig but didn't have time to get it out before it was on him. At that point he decided "oh well" and shoved his fist as far into its throat as he could. He was pretty beat up and his arm was pretty torn up, but it got the bear to take off and he's still alive.
Another way to get rid of an attacking bear is to jump on its back. My uncle made the local paper in his little town on the coast of Alaska for "riding" a bear. He was blacktail hunting and saw a bear going up the opposite side hill a out 100 yards away. It stopped sniffed the air and came running right at him. Of course he only had one round left in the gun. So he waited until it was about 20 yards yards away and fired. The bear did slow, so he grabbed the rifle by the barrel and baseball style clubbed it over the head breaking his stock. As he was running to get behind a big tree, he tripped right onto his stomach and thought of all the stories of bears grinding their teeth on the back of people's skulls while they lay there, and he did NOT want that to happen, so he pushed himself up as hard as could with his arms and legs just as the bear was coming down on him. For just a split second he caught a face and a couple handfuls of fur before the bear took off as quick as it could. His brother's that were a couple hundred yards away hear the yelling, the bear, and the shot, but thought he was telling stories until they looked and saw his stock busted in two.
I made him tell me that one in person last year because I had heard a couple different versions over the years.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
To shave off a few ounces I just stick with a compact .22 handgun. In the event of a bear encounter I aim for my hunting partner’s knee cap. Like was stated earlier I don’t have to be faster than the bear, just faster than my partner.

Just like smothering your clothes in permethrine to protect from ticks, You are supposed to cover your clothes in bear spray prior to hunting. I thought this was common knowledge…

700-223

FNG
Best approach is to avoid. If not, bear spray or a long gun. Compare any hunting rifle to a handgun and it’s not even close.

Don’t hunt alone, take all bear precautions.

OP
KHNC

KHNC

WKR
I hate to rain in this parade of insightful tips and tricks for surviving a bear attack with some true stories from family that they've shared with me ... but... my aunt's brother-in-law was on a hunt in Alaska and got attacked by a bear. He had .44 in a chest rig but didn't have time to get it out before it was on him. At that point he decided "oh well" and shoved his fist as far into its throat as he could. He was pretty beat up and his arm was pretty torn up, but it got the bear to take off and he's still alive.
Another way to get rid of an attacking bear is to jump on its back. My uncle made the local paper in his little town on the coast of Alaska for "riding" a bear. He was blacktail hunting and saw a bear going up the opposite side hill a out 100 yards away. It stopped sniffed the air and came running right at him. Of course he only had one round left in the gun. So he waited until it was about 20 yards yards away and fired. The bear did slow, so he grabbed the rifle by the barrel and baseball style clubbed it over the head breaking his stock. As he was running to get behind a big tree, he tripped right onto his stomach and thought of all the stories of bears grinding their teeth on the back of people's skulls while they lay there, and he did NOT want that to happen, so he pushed himself up as hard as could with his arms and legs just as the bear was coming down on him. For just a split second he caught a face and a couple handfuls of fur before the bear took off as quick as it could. His brother's that were a couple hundred yards away hear the yelling, the bear, and the shot, but thought he was telling stories until they looked and saw his stock busted in two.
I made him tell me that one in person last year because I had heard a couple different versions over the years.
Now this is the type of info i was after!! Im leaving the gun at home now!

my aunt's brother-in-law was on a hunt in Alaska and got attacked by a bear. He had .44 in a chest rig but didn't have time to get it out before it was on him. At that point he decided "oh well" and shoved his fist as far into its throat as he could. He was pretty beat up and his arm was pretty torn up, but it got the bear to take off and he's still alive.

We could be related. My family's 'tongue torque' was developed in the Chugach mountains.

Randle

WKR
Or you can cram a trekking pole down his throat til you create another exit out the other end.
That will teach him