Wrong tires end my hunt early

Mosby

WKR
I have had a tire shop put on different tires than what I ordered before. Like anything else you have to make sure you get what you pay for. I am not a tire expert. The 10 ply's I have bought in the past were E rated tires. I had tire guys tell me at the time that the sidewall of those tires were not any thicker than C rated tires and the "ply" system doesn't apply anymore. I had Suburbans for years and put them on regardless. Heavy tires for a heavy vehicle made sense to me.

I have a Chevy Colorado now. Much smaller and lighter and set up for 2 ply Duratrac's that came stock. I just put on Falken Wildpeak AT3w's and took tire weight into consideration when buying new tires. My new tires are "6 ply"...if that is even relevant anymore.

I try to hunt in several states a year and I haven't had a tire blowout since hunting on my tease in Texas in 1993. I am more concerned about how tires perform on snow and in bad conditions than the sidewalls but where I hunt probably has a lot to do with it....and a bit of luck...knock on wood.

I’ve driven 50 miles with 5 plugs in a side wall. Not saying you should but at the very least should have the option.

I run E on my truck and 12ply on my mule and still get to plug tires, it’s part of the outdoors. Just order the two below and be done with it

Plug kit

Compressor

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I’ve driven 50 miles with 5 plugs in a side wall. Not saying you should but at the very least should have the option.

I run E on my truck and 12ply on my mule and still get to plug tires, it’s part of the outdoors. Just order the two below and be done with it

Plug kit

Compressor
Thanks for the plug kit link.

Never thought of plugging a sidewall but nice to know it'll work in a pinch.

Eddie

I wouldn’t buy any air compressor but that one or smitty built. I’ve burnt a few others up. The Viair is the gold standard IMO. Regardless always go with alligator clips. 12v cig plugs blew fuses like crazy and the wires are really tiny, and get hot real quick.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
That’s a good idea to keep a plug kit but neither one of the tires on this trip could have been plugged.

sndmn11

WKR
I’d feel sorry for you if your antelope hunt got ruined. It’s hard to be a tire expert too. I’d easily have made this mistake if it happened at my tire store. That’s why he put the thread up, to make us un-wise more aware.

Thanks OP

I equate it in my mind to being responsible for things that matter to me. A flat tire is one thing, blaming it on an anonymous person is entirely different when the solution takes 10 seconds. In my eyes it would be the same thing as buying 300win ammo when your gun is chambered for 300wsm, but blaming Hornady for putting them both in red boxes.

If something matters to me enough to want to complain to anyone who will listen, it matters enough to me to then responsibly prepare for. If the latter doesn't happen it really is the fault of nobody but myself.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I equate it in my mind to being responsible for things that matter to me. A flat tire is one thing, blaming it on an anonymous person is entirely different when the solution takes 10 seconds. In my eyes it would be the same thing as buying 300win ammo when your gun is chambered for 300wsm, but blaming Hornady for putting them both in red boxes.

If something matters to me enough to want to complain to anyone who will listen, it matters enough to me to then responsibly prepare for. If the latter doesn't happen it really is the fault of nobody but myself.
I think more like you go to gun counter and say I want 300wsm and the guy grabs them and puts them in the bag for you. You throw them in your pack and get to camp and load up your gun and all of a sudden you have 300wm. In both cases the solution would have been to double check, but it’s not a stretch to think the tire guy did as you told you he did!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Brother! No long post needed, we get it, you would never make that mistake. But I have, when I buy something I expect people to get it right. I think that’s all he was trying to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most people don’t pay attention to the load rating and just the ply rating. I just bought new tires and wanted the BFG all terrain but the load rating was to low even though it is a 10 ply. I ended up with the 12 ply nitto ridge grapplers because the load rating is way higher for towing.

The BFG would work if I never put anything in the bed or towed but that makes having a 1 ton pointless.

I haul heavy loads on BFG AT’s every single day...

Edit: I just looked them up and they are “E” rated. What higher load rating is there?

colersu22

WKR
I haul heavy loads on BFG AT’s every single day...

Edit: I just looked them up and they are “E” rated. What higher load rating is there?

There is F which is 12 ply which is what I went with for my f350. If you look on your door it should say the recommended load rating which will be a number. Ply rating use to be the thing to go off of but you should look at ply rating and load rating. The 10 ply Bfg AT has a lower load rating than the 10 ply Nitto, they are not all rated the same.

Attachments

• 47E609BC-D7DC-43F7-A788-240ADA194967.png
    47E609BC-D7DC-43F7-A788-240ADA194967.png
    522.9 KB · Views: 36

jedm

FNG
I really had no idea there was so much involved in tires. Almost overwhelming to someone that just drives a vehicle to get around and doesn't off-road or haul very heavy loads where I would understand that's a different world of tires. This thread is very informative. Glad I'm aware of this now.

grfox92

WKR
OP sorry your hunt got cut short. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect what you asked for.

As for some of the commenting going on in this thread some people should be embarrassed and it's not the OP. This isn't archerytalk. Rokslide is better then this....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
After reading though this I didn't see what chain you bought them from? I have used Discount tire for lots of sets and have been very happy. Buy the replacement certificates and if the tire is destroyed you get another one if its in 3 years, or there is still life in the tire. Also if you need one right away and a DT store isn't nearby they allow you to replace it from another tire place and will pay you back. From what i have seen, and other friends they do everything they can to keep you happy

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I posted this in another tire thread, but wanted it straight from the horse's mouth- so I contacted the manufacturer, BFG in this case, C vs E rated KO2's. From BFG- the sidewalls on the E are more puncture resistant- makes sense as the tire weighs a couple of more lbs than it's C rated brother- the sidewall being more reinforced for more load.

The actual tread is the same, with equal puncture resistance (for the KO2).

This is for the BFG KO2, it could vary by manufacturer (or model), but if you think about it- you'll need more reinforcement in the sidewall for more load, more reinforcement should equate to more sidewall protection

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider
I've been on many gravel roads but one project was so hard on tires we also ran out of spares. A farmer had a tire changer and when he was patching my tire said he had so many flats he needed the changer. He said 10 ply tires were necessary there.

Not all gravel roads are the same.