Yamaha WR 250R or Honda CRF 300L

Vandal 44

WKR
Looking at buying a dual sport motorcycle. For those that have ridden these two bikes what are your thoughts? I am also looking at other brands as well. Only interested in a 250 or 300 because I a new rider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
The WR has been discontinued, the Honda will run forever. I picked up a used Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 last summer as a project bike. It's like an apocalypse bike. Stupid simple to operate and maintain. They're hard to find though. Low seat height, 70mpg, light weight. Both the bikes you mentioned are great bikes, can't really go wrong either way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

def90

WKR
I have an older 96 Honda XR250, it's a 4 stroke so it has tons of low end torque, that thing is a tank and will take me anywhere I ask it to and will probably outlast me.

You probably can't go wrong with either of those bikes. Don't discount the idea of finding a nice used bike, I paid $1200 for mine and it runs like a top. Like most things motorsport related you can find that guy that bought the 250 was all he needed and either lost interest after a year or moved to a bigger bike.

That's about all I have to say. Lol.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have an older 96 Honda XR250, it's a 4 stroke so it has tons of low end torque, that thing is a tank and will take me anywhere I ask it to and will probably outlast me.

You probably can't go wrong with either of those bikes. Don't discount the idea of finding a nice used bike, I paid $1200 for mine and it runs like a top. Like most things motorsport related you can find that guy that bought the 250 was all he needed and either lost interest after a year or moved to a bigger bike.

That's about all I have to say. Lol.
I've had big heavy dual sports before, and I certainly don't miss riding a 600lb bike off pavement. On long highway rides though that power is nice, but my 250 gets the same places, just slower lol.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
The WR has been discontinued, the Honda will run forever. I picked up a used Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250 last summer as a project bike. It's like an apocalypse bike. Stupid simple to operate and maintain. They're hard to find though. Low seat height, 70mpg, light weight. Both the bikes you mentioned are great bikes, can't really go wrong either way.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapat
I have a deposit on a WR 250R, I can't find a 250 or 300 Honda

WR’s are fantastic bikes. Honda is also tough to beat. You’ll be probably be happy with either one.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
This is the nicest opinion thread on rokslide, maybe the entire internet
Give it time, someone will come on this thread and blow it up with some negativity. LOL

I spent a lot of time looking at both the Honda and the Yamaha. I was leaning toward the Honda but could not find one, so I pulled the trigger on the WR 250. If I was an experienced rider I would get the Honda CRF 450L

archp625

WKR
I don’t k ow much about motorcycles but I have been looking around for one. I’m like you. Total beginner. I’m looking at the Yamaha TR200. I’m not sure if that’s what you were wanting but looks like a good beginner bike.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I don’t k ow much about motorcycles but I have been looking around for one. I’m like you. Total beginner. I’m looking at the Yamaha TR200. I’m not sure if that’s what you were wanting but looks like a good beginner bike.
That's a great bike as well. The only problem is its so hard to find bikes like that especially with all the people getting into riding. The TR200 is a little less money as well

I would suggest a TTR 225 if a new rider. Good enough smooth power through lower range. They are a little lower on suspension height which is nice for new riders to be able to plant both feet on the ground when trying new terrains like single tracks and mountain tail riding.
And yes you are right there is no inventory right now. Some used bikes sell in hours and for costs like new. Its a tough market for dirt bikes now.

archp625

WKR
That's a great bike as well. The only problem is its so hard to find bikes like that especially with all the people getting into riding. The TR200 is a little less money as well
I’m glad you said that. If I found one I would buy it. We have quite of bit of land that’s part of our HOA that I could learn how to ride it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a deposit on a WR 250R, I can't find a 250 or 300 Honda
I think you must be extremely lucky to have found a WR to put a deposit on. Is it a 2020? It sucks when they stop selling certain models here in the States but the rest of the world can still get them. Helps with parts availability though.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
You will like the Yamaha. I’ve been racing YZ250F’s since they made the very first one. Reliability has been fantastic. I doubt you’ll he hitting the rev limiter like I have over the years.

Since you are new, seriously take some time and watch a lot of instructional riding tutorials on YouTube....and practice! Better yet PAY an instructor if you don’t have buddies that can articulate the fundamentals to safely get you going

Learn how to setup your bike. That includes everything from lever positions to tuning your suspension. Stock Yamahas have great suspension. Read up on how to tune it and I guarantee it will be time we’ll spent.

Take your time getting into it. It’s a blast. Just in case, buy some supplemental medical insurance.

I feel like the WR250f is the pinnacle of on/off road performance. I have purchased NEW Suzuki, KTM, Husqvarna, Yamaha ,and Honda 250 class bikes in the last 4 years and done a full tear down on all of then. Get the Yamaha and don't look back. KTM/Husqvarna are the equivalent of a 6.5 creedmoor mounted on a Marlin model 60 chassis, except assembled by a down syndrome factory worker,,,really neat idea until you actually use it hard, 😀
The Honda bikes are a really close second to Yamaha, man they are dang near bulletproof and really user friendly to maintain....

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
Thanks for all the input. I looked all over the Eastern Washington and North Idaho for a smaller Dual Sport Bike. I pick it up next week, have to drive 3 hours one way but its worth it. I do have buddies that are experienced riders and both my son-in-laws ride and one of them is a gearhead and love to tear bikes down and put them back together.

The Yamaha seemed like it required the least amount of maintenance out of all the bike on my hit list, the valve don't need to adjust tell over 20,000 miles.