Starting from scratch, what would you buy first?

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
If you were able to start all over again knowing what you know now, what piece of gear would you buy first? Let's say for the purpose of this thread the majority of your time would be spent mule deer hunting and all you're starting with is a rifle and ~5000ci pack and your end goal is to be spending 7-10 days elk or sheep hunting. Is there anything that you picked up a couple of years into it that just made life easier while in the field? What would you purchase sooner/later? I try to be a buy once cry once type of guy but what gear absolutely should not be skimped on and what can you get by on buying cheap so you can spend on something else?

Hopefully this will help some of us who are new to the backpack hunting world and starting out their supply of gear. I have been fortunate enough to grow up on my Indian Reservation and am able to use my home as base camp. I have enough to get by on 1-2 nights in the field but plan to start getting out for longer periods next season. I'd like to see what everyone's thoughts are on this forum as I add to my gear collection.

muleman

WKR
Good binoculars and and a comfortable pack truly capable of hauling the heaviest load you are able to carry.

fredmb

FNG
Great question! Among a slew of some of the more obvious things, here are a few things that I find essential these days. A solid sleeping pad, like the Therma-Rest NeoAir X-Lite. Getting a good nights sleep is so crucial the older I get. Also a decent pair of binocs, I like the Vortexes. A stove as well, I'd go with a Jetboil of some sorts.

This is just a start. Let's see what everyone else has got.

kickemall

WKR
For me, the two most important things not to skimp on would be boots and pack. The problem is that boots fit everyone different so you'll probably have to try a bunch before you find what works for you. As far as packs, I'm pretty sure if your a buy once, cry once guy that Kifaru is going to get the nod.

OP
B

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
Here's where I'm at now. Comfy waterproof boots, vortex diamondback binos, cheap bushnel spotter that was a gift with cheap tri pod, pack good enough for a couple days deer trip, havalon, first aid kit, kill kit, para cord, good sleep bag, decent pad.

Up until now that has been sufficient for all my hunts. I need a bigger pack. Though I might transition into it by picking up a duplex frame, grab it, lid, and just mount my current pack to it. Need a shelter/tent, and rain gear (currently carry a poncho). Usually hunt in Levi's or a pair of 5.11 cargos that I find pretty comfortable. I plan on putting together a decent layering system as I can afford it. As stated above my hunting area is within minutes of my door so when inclement weather comes I am able to either stay home or make it home quickly. This is also why my pack has worked well for me. I don't have to carry camp so it's always set up in day hunt mode with room to pack out a deer. I usually bone out all but one front and one hind quarter.

But this thread isn't just for me, it's everyone who might be just starting out. So keep them coming.

Last edited:
OP
B

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
Lightest quality shelter available. (Lightweight 3 or 4 season tent.)

Would you start out top dollar or would a few hundred get you into something that would last a couple seasons or more and allow you pick up another piece. Then upgrade down the line?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boots and quality binos........boots will wear out, but if your feet don't go you don't go....buy one great pair of binos and you will never have to buy again.

Manosteel

WKR
Quality boots and pack- spend your $$$ here. Both can make or break your extended trip into the mtns. Lots of good boots in the $300+ range ( sounds like a lot but worth every penny) good review on solemn 4d GTX boot you can get for about $150 or less on sale. Packs - spend the money on a kifaru or Stone glacier, it will serve you well for years.

Shelter - look into the moutain smith LT - light weight inepensive and proved itself in the field.
Sleeping system - get a blow up pad, you will sleep much better and go with a quilt rather then a sleeping bag ( this is the one item wish I had years ago)
A good headlamp - like a zebra light (wish I had done that long ago)

After that start upgrading optics. (Once you get into the $500+ range, they will do for years)

Quality boots, good binoculars, good rain gear, copper spur tent unless going floorless.

So many things to buy, jetboil, rangefinder, decent sleeping bag, high r value pad......

Shrek

WKR
Kifaru Duplex with an EMR II or AMR . Top quality boots that FIT ! If the boots are made in China it's because it's the cheapest place they could make them and if they are made in Italy , Germany , or other European country it's because it was the best place to make them. Performance usually follows manufacturing philosophy in boots. Floorless shelter and stove , quality down bag or quilt and high R value pad. I prefer Kifaru shelters and stoves , Western Mountaineering bags , and Exped UL mats. 100% merino base layers and Darn Tough socks. High performance clothing layers. You don't need drawers full because you will be wearing the one set the whole time. Quality before quantity. Camo is for you not the animals . Zebra light for a headlamp. Bought my first one this year and it is bright , long lasting per battery , light , and tough. I've washed and dryed mine twice now . JMO . And the best quality binoculars you can afford. Vortex Razors would be my personal minimum. European big three , Meopta , and high end Japanese binoculars. You generally can't tell the difference in better glass in the store but it shows up at dusk when you're trying to visually pull animals out of cover.

Last edited:
I would start with the big three. Pack, shelter, and sleeping bag. You will save the most weight here, gain the most comfort (albeit different areas), and they will all last......probably why they are called the big three.

Rizzy

WKR
Since you already have a pack for now, I would say;

Boots- You need to be able to get there and back without foot issues. I like stiffer boots because for me they work better with heavier loads.

OP
B

bbc26

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good info here. I think outside of a tent/shelter I have the basics covered for now. Will be looking into MountainSmith or something similar until I can afford what I really would like to have (sawtooth/stove). Any feedback on Alps Mountaineering? They come up for good prices on sttepandcheap.com from time to time.

When it comes to the rest of the stuff you carry is there that one thing that you wish you would've gotten sooner? I understand the importance of good socks but are merino underwear day and night compared to under armour? Is the system you're using now for water purification more efficient/easier than what you did when starting out? I'm well aware that what works for you will not necessarily work for me and we all change things depending on the hunt but some things are universal.

Boots, socks, sleep system, binos and pack.

I'd worry about clothes last. Mil spec BDU's, cabelas fleece, a beanie, a tarp and a fire can carry a guy for a long time.