Colorado OTC or Wyoming General for 2019 Archery?

atenjones

FNG
My 2018 elk season is over, so I’m already thinking ahead to next year. I have 2 pts in wyoming, which will hopefully be enough to draw a general tag. But, Im also considering OTC in colorado again. I know there are exceptions to everything, and there are good and bad spots in both, but in general, which might be the better archery hunt? Will the general tag be that much better than a Colorado OTC? Or would I be better off saving up some more points until I can get into a Limited Entry unit in wyo? I also have a point in Utah and Montana, and will be jumping into AZ and Nevada next year as well, so I should have a good mix of short and long term strategies.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nevada is a REAL long term strategy. Those odds are depressing. Way less people to contend with in Wyoming, but you have big bears to contend with in a lot of units. If Colorado had Grizzlies there would be a lot less pressure lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I saw enough elk in a Wyo general unit while mulie hunting last week i'm buying points lol. Ton of elk in the area I was in and not many guys after them!

jmez

WKR
I've hunted general in MT and OTC in Co. I have only hunted a draw unit in WY. Hands down WY was the best hunt, but again, it was a draw area. Ironically, the draw area I hunted in WY had far more pressure and hunters than all my years in MT and CO combined.

If going general I would hunt MT over Co. Tags are more expensive but I've seen more elk and had better hunts in Montana. You can hunt MT general and still get another bonus point. Do you have a bonus point or a preference point in MT?

Trial153

WKR
The WY gen unit i was in was freaking zoo and that was during the type 9 season.

KHNC

WKR
I would stick with OTC Colorado. That way, if you get lost in the woods , there will always be someone nearby to ask for directions! ;)

I personally would burn your Wyoming points asap unless you are intending to wait another 4+ years to hunt wyo. I got caught in the do I get a gen or do I wait game. The LE unit i want to hunt is not a great unit. I started applying with 4 points and supposedly 100% odds, 3 yeas later I keep failing to draw and buying more points . . . All the while seeing some good looking general units that I'd like to hunt.

Once you cross 4+ points you start to feel wastefully going general wyo but your caught in the point creep nightmare unless your paying for the special tag.

Just my .02 cents! Gotta decide is wyo an every 3rd-4th year thing for you or is it once every 10-12 year thing.