2019 Fitness Goals

I here you Cedar. I had some major recovery after shoulder surgery. My mistake was quitting all fitness together for 4 months. I could of and should of started some cardio earlier than I did. Now I'm fighting to get back to square 1. Amazing how quickly I turned into the Pillsbury doughboy
Easy to do man. I've been off track a couple times I think you'll be surprised how quickly you can get back. Anytime I do that and get discouraged I always remind myself that at one time I was a 300lb fat guy and got in good shape, if I did it once I can do it again.

JasonWi

WKR
Consistency is the key. A person doesn't always have to do any specific exercise or a specific amount of weights or reps to achieve a good fitness base, just stay consistent with getting exercise.

I strive to do at least 60 minutes of exercise 5-6 days a week. That can be dog walks, gym, hikes, bike ride, etc. Obviously we need to train more sport specific, IMO doing anything physically active makes you that much better than you began.

Brendan

WKR
@Brendan running is great exercise (especially trail running), but for hunting shape- hiking/biking/stair machines/etc are just as effective imo (especially hiking that includes decent ascent/descent, uneven ground, occasionally some weight on your back)

this time of year, nothing whips me into shape more than snowshoeing- significantly more effort/mile, hits all the muscles/tendons/ligaments (hip flexors really get a workout!), core, works on balance, the list goes on :)

Agreed with pretty much all of this. The only thing I need to be cognizant of is spending enough time and miles on my feet in the months before the season to make sure my calves, ankles, and feet are in good enough shape to handle the miles.

Just doing whatever I can to limit the pounding on my knees where there are other options.

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
This is awesome seeing everybody's goals and working through your injuries! I'd love to keep this going with updates on where everyone is at and especially what you all are doing to work your fitness into your daily lives.

I work an hour from home on a 3p-11p schedule. My job is tied to a control room for our production facility, so no lunches/break away from the room. I get all my running/pack work in in the morning before work and on the weekends, and have started doing calisthenics here at work. Squats, push ups, and bench dips, every hour on the hour. I talked to my boss yesterday, and he's going to get me a pull up bar installed so I can hit those also while I'm here. So far this week I've gotten in 515 squats, 438 push ups, and 442 bench dips.

JasonWi

WKR
January recap:

231.33 miles of cardio completed (hiking, jogging,biking, elliptical and walking) 1787.67 miles left

I'm down 7# over the last six weeks, Ideally heading into this fall another 7# lower than today.

Feeling really good physically and my elbow is progressing slowly but steadily.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I finished the month with 135 trail miles, first month in a looooong time that no miles were running miles- my hiking miles and particularly my snowshoeing/skiing miles have all been "good" miles with lots of elevation gain/loss.

My strength training has gone really well too- gains across the board on my squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead press.

So far, so good :)

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Slow start to the year, but better than last year. 65 miles ran (19.5 of which are this week already), and down about 5 lbs from New Years Day. Getting my schedule figured out has been a little rough, we went from working 4 10hr days/week to 6 8hr days/week and my boss says its not likely to lighten up in the near future. Just gotta get my sleep schedule lined out.

Calisthenics is going well, but I need to put more time into my stretching/yoga. Range of motion is a big hinderence to me and one of the things I really want to change this year.

I am signed up for two of my races so far, a 50k in late march and an 8hr trail run in the middle of June. Still need to sign up for the others I have planned this year, just waiting to see how work progresses.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stepping it up this year with the new pup🥳

Just hiking snowshoeingBD7FCE8B-5497-416A-A3C0-2D244F209071.jpegor hunting mileage I’m shooting for the stars 300000 vertical and 1000 miles......off to a good start through the first month🍺[/ATTACH]

Motivation is to put another mount on the wall or rack on the floor either will do seven months👍56A5AD6E-9942-458B-8CB6-AD6B641E9186.jpeg

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
This year I'm wanting to do an average of 3 trail miles per day, which would be 1095 miles this year. Honestly I'd be happy with 1000 but I'm going to set the higher goal to push myself. I've never tracked elevation gain but I'm curious about where I'm at so I'm going to track it this year to get a baseline for setting goals for next year.

I'm slightly behind but working on catching up this week. Last week I was on a cruise so even though I did some running and one hike, it set me back from what I've been doing. I knew that going into the cruise and was a bit ahead before so I should be back on track this week.

As of Jan. 31 I was at: 62.73 running miles and 27.41 hiking miles for a total of 90.14 miles in January and 11,570 ft. of elevation gain.

I'm a little late on this but great job to you guys that are staying consistent!

Odd one out here, as in most places. I'd like to gain mass and break the 160lb mark and stay above that for the year. I'm tracking strength rather that body weight gains so I'm hoping the body mass will be a fortunate byproduct. I've never had a problem throwing on a ruck and busting out a plethora of miles, but I have weaknesses that lead to injury when the pack breaks 50lbs. Been working with the team at Grunt Work since archery season ended here in Colorado in 2018. So far so good, I just need to remain consistent which has been a struggle. Our family is just passing through the second stretch of stomach nasty since new years. That crap will beat ya down in a hurry!

Virginian

Lil-Rokslider
I hope everyone is keeping with their goals

I broke my ankle just before Christmas so I've been on crutches. I was going to run a 100 miler ultra in September but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now. I go back to ortho Friday to see if I'll need surgery. Fingers crossed it's healing. I've crept up to 245. I want to get back to 200 if I can ever get over this ankle. I wanted to do a bunch of trail running this year. I guess I need to hit the rower while sidelined

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ sorry to hear that; hope your recovery is speedy!

we've been in a strong arctic pattern for the entire month of February- the average temp for February (high and low averaged) is ~ 27, our average thus far has been 7- I'm confident this will go down as the coldest February on record with over 130 years of keeping record

getting out has been challenging to say the least, but I've managed to average about 30 miles/week; if we ever get back to near normal temps, it'll be a he11 of a lot easier :)

JasonWi

WKR
I finished February with 201.67 miles of cardio and 433.0 miles for the year so far.

No additional weight loss for this month, but I did maintain my weight (208#) that I had achieved last month.

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
This year I'm wanting to do an average of 3 trail miles per day, which would be 1095 miles this year. Honestly I'd be happy with 1000 but I'm going to set the higher goal to push myself. For this year I'm going with hiking or trail running as "trail miles". I've never tracked elevation gain but I'm curious about where I'm at so I'm going to track it this year to get a baseline for setting goals for next year.

I guess I'll try to update monthly to make sure I'm tracking. Currently I'm at:

Running- 140.76
Hiking- 45.57
Total- 186.33
Elevation- 22,056

I'm on track at the moment but I'd like to get a bit ahead as I know things get crazy for me in the summer months.

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome job so far guys! I'm down a couple pounds to 202, and have 212 total miles of running for the year. I'll have to add my elevation up, it's not tracking because it has had to be treadmill incline since I haven't had the time to get outside much. I would guess I'm over 15k, but I'll add it up and update.

The year started slow, but February ended strong for me. I'm on an 8 day running streak right now, and over the past 12 days I've put up 101 of those miles!

Edit to add: Just added up my treadmill elevation with my 1900ft of outside elevation (I'm in Indiana, cut me some slack,lol) and I am currently at 24,583 ft of gain. Not too shabby for a flatlander!

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
Awesome job so far guys! I'm down a couple pounds to 202, and have 212 total miles of running for the year. I'll have to add my elevation up, it's not tracking because it has had to be treadmill incline since I haven't had the time to get outside much. I would guess I'm over 15k, but I'll add it up and update.

The year started slow, but February ended strong for me. I'm on an 8 day running streak right now, and over the past 12 days I've put up 101 of those miles!

Edit to add: Just added up my treadmill elevation with my 1900ft of outside elevation (I'm in Indiana, cut me some slack,lol) and I am currently at 24,583 ft of gain. Not too shabby for a flatlander!
I can't do the treadmill so I'm impressed with what you've done. I'd rather run ten trail miles than 2 boring treadmill miles. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I run in snowstorms and rainstorms rather than use the treadmill. Poor conditions slow me down but don't stop me. If I had to do it all on the treadmill I think that would stop me from running.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JasonWi

WKR
Odin is getting so big! Hard to believe that puff ball is tha long legged teenager in such a short amount of time!

OP
C

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
I can't do the treadmill so I'm impressed with what you've done. I'd rather run ten trail miles than 2 boring treadmill miles. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I run in snowstorms and rainstorms rather than use the treadmill. Poor conditions slow me down but don't stop me. If I had to do it all on the treadmill I think that would stop me from running.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Believe me, if it wasn't for wireless earbuds and Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime I wouldn't survive on the treadmill. I've run a bit outside this year, but I can't get any climbing in where I live by running the roads, and my 6 day/week work schedule makes it difficult to get my butt to the MTB park (30 min away) or the nearest state park (40 min away) and get real climbing and trail running in.

Guys like you impress the hell out of me having the drive to get out in the crappiest weather and still get your workouts in. And a little envious that a lot of you are in such close proximity to real mountains/trail systems. I feel like I get respectable vertical in for an Indiana boy, but it's no substitue for the real thing.