25-06 for my do it all rifle?

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
What are some pro's and con's to the 25-06 for a do it all rifle? As of right now the only rifle I own is a .243 and I've got the itch to purchase a new addition. I mainly hunt whitetails but also shoot quite a few coyotes around the farm. I hunt coal country in Southeast Ky so I'm looking for something that will shoot as flat as possible and sufficient for varmint hunting all the way to big whitetails. From what I have researched the 25-06 seems to be a fantastic choice and I don't understand why it isn't talked about more. Also if you did have one what would be your round of choice?

mmac

WKR
I love the 25-06. I added an article comparing it to the 6.5 CM that was pretty interesting. But for WT it is a hammer. I used the heavier loads, but you can use the 110 AB if more punch is needed.

My current one is a Kimber Montana and easily sub moa with multiple loads. Really light and recoil is very mild.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
I'm pretty simple when it comes to guns. I just want one rifle to grab and go shoot stuff. Seems like the 25-06 would give me the ability to just aim and shoot out to 300-400 yards. Never had any problems with my .243 but I'd like to retire it and set it back for my son.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
My father bought a Rem 700 BDL in 25-06 probably close to 45 years ago and it’s still a 1/2 MOA rifle easily. There’s no telling how many deer it’s dropped and it urged me to build one for myself. Just like you, I’ll spend most of my years hunting white tails and don’t need anything huge. I wanted one rifle that would be perfect for how/where/what I hunt, and not many people shoot them nowadays either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
It's just not a sexy cartridge these days, but it has plenty of support. I have one in a Ruger #1 that is a really fun rifle. Every once in a while I threaten to punch it out to .257 Weatherby, but never do it.

I handload for it, and use 115 grain Nosler BT's. Wicked combo.

Jeremy

Laramie

WKR
I'm a fan of them. I have seen them cleanly kill elk out to 400 yards. It wouldn't be my recommendation as an elk gun but lets you know there isn't a whitetail out there it can't handle. They are fairly flat shooting and as others have said, very mild recoiling. Depending on the load and the rifle, there should be very minimal recoil increase from the .243.

If I were buying factory ammo, I would shoot these- https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/25-06-remington-110-gr-eld-x-precision-hunter

I've got a Savage 111 in 25-06 that is a killer... a dozen or more animals (all antelope and three mule deer if I recall). All killed with one Hornady 117 gr SST out to abotu 350 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any deer on the planet with one. Spomer has a great article on the comparison.

I think the biggest knock is the lower BC... but when you're screaming over 3,000 fps I'm not sure how much that works out on the math front. I set my scope up one time (I think bullets 4,5, and 6) and haven't touched it in over a decade. Anything from 0 to 200 I don't even think about it... out to 300+ I aim high a touch. I have many hunting rifles but still very fond of this one.

Vaultman

WKR
I shot mine yesterday. It is by far my favorite of all the hunting rifles I have ever owned. Mine is a Rem 700, bought it used 15 years ago. I bet it's 30 years old. Most accurate of all my hunting rifles. Sub- 3/4 to sometimes 1/2 MOA with the right ammo, and 1MOA with almost anything else.
I am a fan of the 25-06 for deer size and down. If all I hunted was deer and wanted to reach 400 yds it'd 100% be my round of choice.

Pros: Fast, flat (at least for MPBR type shooting), moderate recoil combined with more terminal performance than needed for deer sized game
Cons: Uses a long action, high BC bullets dont exist for factory twist rates and barely exist for custom barrels, short barrel life. Case design geeks will note that you'll get plenty of case stretch with each firing because of the body taper and shallow shoulder angles.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There’s nothing magical about an “all around” rifle, if it’s sufficient for everything you plan to use it for then it will be a great all around rifle.

25-06 is a great cartridge so if you like it and it will work for your intended purposes then I say go for it if that’s what you want.

25-06 with 110 gr. Accubond or 115 or 120 gr. Partition sure would work. I killed a spike bull at 300 yards shooting the 120 gr. Partition. I also let a young man on his first hunt shoot the same rifle and he shot his cow elk one shot at about 250 yards.

Hard to beat a classic like a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS, Featherweight, or Classic Sporter.

I have two Ruger 1Bs in 6mm Remington and 30-06. A 1B in 25-06 sure would be sweet. Have to find a used one I believe. A Ruger Hawkeye or Model 77 would also be a nice rifle.

OP
D.Rose

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
What barrel length is optimal for the 25-06? I’ve seen a lot of manufacturers making them in a 22”. Is that sufficient to get the most out of the caliber?

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely won't get all it has to offer from 22 inches, or even 24. That being said, everything has a cost and to be fair, it depends on what you want. It always struck me as a little funny to get a high MV cartridge and then chop the barrel back, but lots of guys want woods/brush gun handling and figure if it only costs them 50 or so fps they might as well.