30 Nosler +P 2.0

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My first 30 Nosler +P didn't quite go as planned. It shot ok but I never really love the accuracy, so I wanted a redo and went with a longer steel barrel. The build list will change I had to borrow a chassis till my stock is done. Anyways I took her out today, I shot the same Unknown Munitions load I had for my last rifle. I was more than happy to see 3010 ish FPS on the labradar. The first group looks very promising too.

Bat Vampire Action
Benchmark #5 Deep Flutes 8 Twist 22"
Trigger Tech 2 Stage diamond(feels really crunchy will probably change to a geissele super 700)
XLR Aluminum Element. WIll be a Manners LRH.... Someday...
AB 8 Stack Suppressor with a 4" reflex. Freaking sounds great!
Kahles 525 Will be a Nightforce NX8
Hawkins
215 Bergers
VV570
ADG Brass

cf18e211172097ca1b7501036cc5ad9b.jpg

722c49ecd9e0e22f2e55b70c7405db3f.jpg

a8b5d1e87df0e252cf78937937b67d2a.jpg

Last edited:
Are you thinking of being done with carbons? Done with carbon 6? Or just short barrel carbon magnums? Also noticed your starting to go back to stocks? Is the chassis fad faded out? Curious how your feeling if you will share. Thanks. Oh and who did your fluting?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Are you thinking of being done with carbons? Done with carbon 6? Or just short barrel carbon magnums? Also noticed your starting to go back to stocks? Is the chassis fad faded out? Curious how your feeling if you will share. Thanks. Oh and who did your fluting?
I'm done with Carbon barrels on big magnums. I've had issues and I know lots of other people have as well. I don't have an answer to why.

I really like the EH1 style of stocks so I though I would give the LRH a try. I love the Element chassis but I have to pay attention and not death grip them the with magnum calibers. Which Fs up my POI. I don't seem to have that issue with stocks like the EH1 or Bravo Chassis.

Benchmark did the fluting they also cryo the barrels after they flute. @Unknown Munitions sales them with the heavy flute.

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm done with Carbon barrels on big magnums. I've had issues and I know lots of other people have as well. I don't have an answer to why.

I really like the EH1 style of stocks so I though I would give the LRH a try. I love the Element chassis but I have to pay attention and not death grip them the with magnum calibers. Which Fs up my POI. I don't seem to have that issue with stocks like the EH1 or Bravo Chassis.

Benchmark did the fluting they also cryo the barrels after they flute. @Unknown Munitions sales them with the heavy flute.
What’s the weight different roughly between a carbon 6 sendero and a benchmark #5 barrel deep flute like your?

Thanks for the honest answers. I’ve been lucky with my carbons so far… got a couple benchmarks that will getting spun up soon. Fingers crossed my good run continues.

The chassis thing is interesting. I’m waiting on a element I ordered. I’m super nervous. It will be on a big thumper. My first chassis….

Are they stocking those fluted benchmarks? I have a vesper on order that has a barrel but am contemplating a igniter that would need a barrel. Had a carbon6 in my cart during their sale probably should have risked it but couldn’t pull the trigger. I’m just a benchmark, bartlein guy.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the honest answers. I’ve been lucky with my carbons so far… got a couple benchmarks that will getting spun up soon. Fingers crossed my good run continues.

The chassis thing is interesting. I’m waiting on a element I ordered. I’m super nervous. It will be on a big thumper. My first chassis….

Are they stocking those fluted benchmarks? I have a vesper on order that has a barrel but am contemplating a igniter that would need a barrel. Had a carbon6 in my cart during their sale probably should have risked it but couldn’t pull the trigger. I’m just a benchmark, bartlein guy.
I think most carbons shoot especially 6.5 and smaller, but when you spend $600 to $800 bucks on a barrel and it doesn't shoot and the barrel company blames the gunsmith.... it gets old! This just rarely happens with quality steel barrels.

The chassis deal is a me problem not a chassis problem.

I'm pretty sure UM stocks them.

Wrench

WKR
Amen on carbon and big boomers. I have one here shooting 1.2ish with 2 tenths run-out on a minimum clearance chamber, manson nailed the reamer.....it's not the plumber.

Good call I freaking love Benchmark barrels, ditto on hit or miss with CF magnums..
I had a 22" #5 fluted Benchmark 7wsm that weighed 2.8 lbs and shot in the .3s, I never should have sold it haha.
I'd like to hear more about that suppressor

So this +P chambers are baffling to say the least. What are the published pressures these +P can handle or produce?

No one can answer that. Gaining 100 fps by taking the same case and seating the bullet out farther. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything special.

There is already a discussion on the Hide about this and Frank at Bartlien Barrels has chimed in a lot. Total BS!

So 300 PRC versus 300 PRC +p is this like saying .223 versus 5.56?

What's the pressure testing look like? There isn't any. Get a better cartridge if you need to +P it

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well there ya go Ryan. Trash that thing. Waveslayer has spoken.
Yep, asked a question, yet no one can answer. It's basic physics that even well know barrel makers question with the +P chamberings.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
So this +P chambers are baffling to say the least. What are the published pressures these +P can handle or produce?

No one can answer that. Gaining 100 fps by taking the same case and seating the bullet out farther. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything special.

There is already a discussion on the Hide about this and Frank at Bartlien Barrels has chimed in a lot. Total BS!

So 300 PRC versus 300 PRC +p is this like saying .223 versus 5.56?

What's the pressure testing look like? There isn't any. Get a better cartridge if you need to +P it

Please link the thread on SH. I would love to read it.

This is my sixth +P rifle. Haven't blown one up yet, guess I've been lucky and I get great brass life. My first four were easy to load for and very accurate. So to me after actually owning a few...they are the "better cartridge"

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
If you still don't understand the concept, I'd recommend you watch this video from the man who designed and developed it. It DOES NOT CREATE MORE PRESSURE! It should run at the same pressure levels as SAAMI. After you watch the video, you'll understand why there's a net velocity increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The +p idea has been around a long time. DE edge trademarked their work with that name. But a bore rider throat, stepped is the same. The concept is not new. Some are fans and some aren’t including very well known shooters and smiths. To each their own.