$4K Budget for .30-06 + Optic - Elk Rifle

BjornF16

WKR
Not really any bad choices out there.

I’ve only had one 30-06 in my 40+ years because they are too good at everything and I like to try and find the “perfect” cartridge/rife for each job/hunt.

You might find this book interesting:

Since it is not one of the many listed you might look into a Blaser R8 Professional “package”. They come with a Zeiss scope usually and you can get a two barrel set for $4000. A few years ago I chose a package with 300 Win and 243 Win. 30-06 and 243 would be awesome.
Can you point to a Blaser package for $4,000?

KineKilla

WKR
Pick up an off the shelf X Bolt in 30-06, stick a good set of bases and a Leupold vx-5 on top and you're good to hunt anything in NA and beyond.

Bet you'd be all in for less than $3k.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

BjornF16

WKR
He won’t need a 10 twist for any factory 3006 ammo though.
Ja, I caveated elsewhere about heavy long for caliber or Hammer bullets…OP later indicated he wasn’t going to hand load, so I agree…11 twist in a non-issue

BjornF16

WKR
Also, don’t look past the Sako S20…I have one and I absolutely love it. But it before the 31st and you get the other stock set for free from Sako via a rebate they have going right now. And, it’s confirmed a carbon fiber set stock will be released in the near future. They’ve also hinted at new barrels, etc. It’s a pretty sweet set up, albeit heavy-ish in its current state. The Cf stock will cut a significant amount when it’s out.
Can you reference where carbon fiber stock has been confirmed?

Bluumoon

WKR
Probably already been suggested...
Starting over I'd go the Tikka Route

1 in 30-06 - threaded $1k SWFA 3-9 $500
1 in .223 -threaded $1k SWFA- 6x $300
1 suppressor $1k

Come up with some $ for more than a couple boxes of ammo.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Tikka T3x SS Lightweight in 6.5 CM, Sportsmatch Rings, SWFA 6X scope due advice from Formidilosus.

I've had it a couple of years now. It does what Form said it would as far as I can tell. It'll put 10 rounds cold to hot in under an inch. Action is smooth. It's not heavy. It's not picky about ammo. Feeds easy.

The only complaints I have is that it's a little loud when cycling the action due to the plastic magazine but that can be mitigated..... and finding bullets to load has been difficult because of everyone buying everything available.

It's the easy button solution that costs way less than your budget which will help with buying all the ammo your going to need shooting it.

Nothing wrong with wanting something nicer and prettier. If you just want something to work, this is the combo.

^^^

Four guys i hunt with punched the “easy button”, I did too. Only one out of the five rigs doesn’t have an SWFA (huskemaw), and most have different rings than sportsmatch but the SWFA/T3 combo is dang hard to beat at any reasonable price.

For mine - I’ve never had it easier. Floated the barrel, lightened the trigger, picked a load that gave me 2650 with 147’s and it grouped with no load development. Over the last three years zero has never shifted, and it tracks.

And I’ve never cleaned the barrel…..

I'm going to the other side of the coin here. Other than load development, if you do that versus factory loads, you're going to verify the zero on this rifle every year and hunt with it. You're going to carry it a whole lot more than shoot it. Like they say and I can vouch for this, you'll never feel the recoil in the field and be able to hold it steady with a good rest. 24" bbl will help it hang well if you shoot off hand which would be at a shorter range anyway.

A gun of the magnitude your contemplating building or buying, it'll shoot very accurately with a lighter barrel. Get it in 24" which I think optimizes the '06.

No muzzle brake as you have said, allows an extra couple inches of barrel length without adding weight and nothing wrong with a good 3-9x size scope to help keep that weight down. '06 isn't going to be a long range rig in the overall picture so setting up with dials is probably not worth considering if it were mine, but those lighter weight scopes can be had with a BDC reticle.

fwafwow

WKR
I used to own a benz...it was absolutely the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned! I had it for over 5 years and the only issue it had was the occasional ignition coil would go out which is a 50 dollar part and a 5 minute job. Just saying!
I was in another country years ago and was fascinated that all of the taxis were Mercedes. I asked a driver about their dependability and he said they routinely got 200-300k miles out of them. End of tangent.

fwafwow

WKR
Whoops. They’ve gone up quite a bit since I bought my Jaeger package a few years ago. At that time the synthetic stock setup was $2995 all over.
I tried to find that deal too. What’s the rough cost now - or without the scope? I’ve always wanted a Blaser and the post got my attention.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus

How do you rate Weatherby Mark V ?

Better than a Remington usually, but they have their own issues.

The last two that I saw, were used for week of shooting in the Rocky Mountains this past summer.

1FCDBEAA-5390-453C-9D08-D19ECDB5CC3B.jpeg

98A2D3FB-C103-45B6-835D-14ED2279E68A.jpeg

Feed/function isn’t as smooth as the Tikkas, Sauers, and AI’s alongside them, but did function fine initially. By the second day (50-75 rounds), they were getting sticky and not nearly as smooth from dust. By day three intermittent feeding issues started showing up.
Two Howa actions were shot as well, one Weatherby Vanguard and one Howa, but were about the same as the Mark V’s, and one started having trigger issues as well on day three or four- still functioned, but the first stage would randomly not be there.

None of the 6-8 T3’s, Sauers, or AI had any issues at all in the same conditions. One Remington based action was used and by the end of the first day, it started having feeding issues. That rifle was put up before 30 rounds had been shot.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I tried to find that deal too. What’s the rough cost now - or without the scope? I’ve always wanted a Blaser and the post got my attention.
Sorry to derail OP…looks like a synthetic R8 is $4250.

prm

WKR
I’d like a Sako 85 Arctos. Maybe even stick with the irons. And I’d shoot 180 Partitions. Damn, I’m getting old.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited: