AKEK Pack - Arguably The Best New Pack Around - What's Your Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randle

WKR
One of their challenges is to find a pack that has two meat shelves, when in reality their “second” shelf is simply the smaller pack attached to the main pack, which is what the grab-it from Kifaru accomplishes and other similar brands provide their own version of.
The second shelf is a beavertail on the frame in the video

fatlander

WKR
At best, this company has been extremely disingenuous with their marketing as to the design, production, and testing. They rebranded something they found on Alibaba and called it “the best new pack around,” while charging top shelf prices.

And to further muddy the waters, the flagship product they’re peddling has been used in past scams, and they operate out of an oracle office that has been used for past scams.

It’s definitely got a waddle to the walk and I think I heard a quack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"If" you are a legit company @AKEK. Send a pack to Steve at Western Edge to look over and test. He builds quality packs for kids so he knows a thing or two about packs yet isn't your competitor. I'll also buy one off Alibaba for him to look over and compare to yours.

Wow, good work to the guys that sniffed all of this out.

To come on to Rokslide and say arguably the best new pack was flat out not a good decision. This is the best hunting gear site on the planet and probably the most comprehensive group of guys with decades of frame pack use.

I support capitalism as much as anyone, but this really looks like hot garbage.

If nothing else - I now know there is an incredibly affordable pack out there…..from Alibaba……I don’t wish any ill will towards this company - but I would really like to hear their answers to the valid questions posted in this thread…..

mlgc20

WKR
Wow, good work to the guys that sniffed all of this out.

To come on to Rokslide and say arguably the best new pack was flat out not a good decision. This is the best hunting gear site on the planet and probably the most comprehensive group of guys with decades of frame pack use.

I support capitalism as much as anyone, but this really looks like hot garbage.
To be fair, it did start an argument. So, I guess mission accomplished?

fatlander

WKR
To be fair, it did start an argument. So, I guess mission accomplished?

I don’t think it’s an argument. It’s a fair assessment of what they’re offering.

They solicited questions after making some really bold claims.

If anything it’s probably saved a few folks some money.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
the biggest issue i think for most is the principal of taking a sub 40 dollar pack system from china, marketing it as possibly the best new pack, and pricing them at top shelf american made prices to people who actually use their gear.

some really good comments above of constructive criticism of marketing it for what it is, and pricing it as what it is... sell it for 275 bucks and it would be well received, and still lots of profit margin, rather than trying to dupe their customer base by pricing it so high people think it must be high quality.

"tested for a year in our plant" how can you test a pack in a plant for a year and expect to know how it will perform in the field? i know at least a couple (i would assume all) of the American pack companies test their gear through true hard use in the field for a couple or more years before they ever release it, there are several names on this forum who are part of that process. to price so close to them seems like a slap in the face... i know it's not on purpose, but their practices have that feel already.

i think it comes down to that concept that has went off the rails in the past few years "stay in your lane"

when i saw the alibaba screen shots i was a little taken back, but didn't think it was the exact same pack... then it came to light it was (good work WKR detectives, haha) and i was genuinely taken back.... market and sell the pack for what it is, everyone is happy.... compete in pricing with USA made packs with actual and extensive R&D and there is going to be some blow back, and rightfully so..... it's not a witch hunt, but i think the criticism they have got is warranted, nothing out of line.

i don't think they should be kicked off RS or anything, i think they are just another company trying to capitalize on the times we live in, and i hope they do well, but they over pitched their product to the wrong audience in this case imo

always appreciate your way of handling things here, being a very adult leader.... your patience is impressive on this site, and always fair and reasonable.
Thanks for all this.

And for those wanting 3rd party reviews, I was working on that with our writers (even though they write for us, they can say what they want and do) and have I a few lined up.

In a perfect world, we'd have time to do a review before a company comes on, but that often doesn't happen until after they come on just due to schedules and one hunting season a year.

Our agreement with these companies says front page "favorable reviews not guaranteed" so when they sign up and still send the gear, they know they're taking that risk. And AKEK took the challenge. So let's give them time to respond and we'll see if these reviews get off the ground.

And if you don't have any new info to post, hold off. It can be very difficult to respond to 14 pages of virtually the same questions/criticism. that's why I asked for a summary

mlgc20

WKR
I don’t think it’s an argument. It’s a fair assessment of what they’re offering.

They solicited questions after making some really bold claims.

If anything it’s probably saved a few folks some money.

Agree 100%. Just a poor attempt at humor on my part.

21A895E4-CD7F-40DC-B7A1-494470F481A7.pngLittle surprised there is not more of a vetting process before letting an advertiser on here. But I guess the WKR’s will ferret it out.
At least they look to have a business license, or two.
Looks like serial entrepreneurs.

Attachments

• A6B48206-9A86-451A-9F3F-72E715FE50B2.png
    A6B48206-9A86-451A-9F3F-72E715FE50B2.png
    988.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 5FD01A54-787D-47B4-920F-4AFAFD1E12CA.png
    5FD01A54-787D-47B4-920F-4AFAFD1E12CA.png
    412.7 KB · Views: 78

Rob5589

WKR
Has nothing to do with made in china. It has to do with a company inferring that they designed and tested a high end pack and brought it to market. What they really did was find a spec frame from a Chinese manufacturer, toss on a bag that they may or may not have spec'd, and called it their own. It would be no different than me buying a boatload of that Lanshan tent everyone was into a while back, throwing on my own logo, and inferring it was my own design.

Last edited:
I mean my kids gonna need a backpack. Ide take one if I won one. I don't think I'm going to spend the money I'm saving for an EXO on this.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Where is AKEK? They must be busy filling orders.

maybe, but as I asked in an earlier post, don't plug up the thread with nothingness. You know how hard it is to respond when you have to read 60 duplicate posts because if you miss one, you'll be accused of dodging the issue?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
View attachment 379470Little surprised there is not more of a vetting process before letting an advertiser on here. But I guess the WKR’s will ferret it out.
At least they look to have a business license, or two.
Looks like serial entrepreneurs.
We do vet within reason

We explain the crowd, give them posting guidelines, then let the vetting process continue once they come on. Sponsoring is part of the vetting process. That's where you come in and if this thread turns out to be accurate, I'd say it works.

As I explained earlier, these companies that do come on are taking the risk. Many companies inquire and then go away when I explain all this. @AKEK did not, So let’s give them the benefit of the doubt until they have time to respond.

*Update, I just talked to Brandon, they’re actually up at the expo manning the booth, but he will get back to it. They are considering everything reasonable that has been posted. Make sure you give him a little wiggle room for some misunderstandings between the frame design and the bag design. As I said earlier, he was very upfront about where the product was made.

In the meantime, try imagining this: whether this product was priced right or not (the market will dictate that in time,) what if it turned out to hold up well, and meet the demands of many of the members? Hmmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.