Alone TV Show- contestants sponsorsed?

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I have been watching Alone season 9 on Hulu. I couldnt help but notice the contestants are all decked out in Kuiu, Sitka, or First Lite. It seems to be all matching. Do you think the contestants reach out to these companies prior to leaving to get some free gear that will be shown on the TV show?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I have no idea if they're sponsored or not. But I do know that Alone Guy wouldn't need any of that fancy stuff. He would be snug as a bug in a rug sitting in his kochanski wearing knockoff army fatigues stuffed full of pine duff while all those YouTube bushcrafters in their Sitka & Gabanna "clothing systems" froze their buns off.

WoodBow

WKR
No idea but I have wondered the same. It would be some good visibility for those companies for a very small investment.

I feel like the show should give each contestant an allowance to buy all gear with. I notice poorer people with lower quality gear and it definitely puts them at a disadvantage.

I'm most curious whether or not they are paid to just compete. Surely they are. Who can afford to take off for that length of time without pay? Same goes for the naked and afraid stuff. The newest season of Alone they did a behind the scenes episode first. All contestant are in the area of their drop off a week prior to do camera training, local area training, etc. Even more time away from home.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t think they are getting paid by Sitka, Kuiu, etc, but I’m 99% sure they get the gear free (or at a very low cost).

The History Channel does pay the contestants, they call it a stipend. It’s not a lot though, less than most folks would make working a job.

rodney482

WKR
Free gear from the show provided by mfgs wanting their gear on the show….

OP
idahomuleys

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
No idea but I have wondered the same. It would be some good visibility for those companies for a very small investment.

I feel like the show should give each contestant an allowance to buy all gear with. I notice poorer people with lower quality gear and it definitely puts them at a disadvantage.

I'm most curious whether or not they are paid to just compete. Surely they are. Who can afford to take off for that length of time without pay? Same goes for the naked and afraid stuff. The newest season of Alone they did a behind the scenes episode first. All contestant are in the area of their drop off a week prior to do camera training, local area training, etc. Even more time away from home.
The season I am currently watching it looks like everybody has "quality" gear. Even the folks that don't seem like they have much money. Thats what made me think they were getting free gear from these big camo companies.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

gtriple

WKR
It'd be a pretty cool test environment for each contestant to have full gear loadouts from different companies. Kinda like a sponsored Nascar team.

"Team Sitka" vs "Team First Lite"

fwafwow

WKR
The "Alone Guy" keeps getting brought up. Are there links to that thread?
That thread should be pinned and celebrated.

Alone Guy would not need no stinkin stipend, because he would be guaranteed the winning money. He would probably end up staying longer than required just to show how much the rest are posers.

All contestant are in the area of their drop off a week prior to do camera training, local area training, etc. Even more time away from home.

I'm also curious if they get to go home right after they tap out? They always have an interview with someone after they quit back at base camp and its "4 days after the tapout.." or something similar, so they're obviously there for a few more days. Do they get to go home then, or do they keep everyone at base camp until everyone is done?

gtriple

WKR
I'm also curious if they get to go home right after they tap out? They always have an interview with someone after they quit back at base camp and its "4 days after the tapout.." or something similar, so they're obviously there for a few more days. Do they get to go home then, or do they keep everyone at base camp until everyone is done?
If they've been out there for a considerable time, I'd imagine they keep them at base camp for at least a few days to ween them back onto a normal diet and make sure they check out medically.

WoodBow

WKR
I really doubt they keep them until it is over. Probably just until they have a flight headed out for crew. They showed everyone arriving on a big float plane this season.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR

Typically on such TV shows, contestants are held in “quarantine” conditions to prevent the show outcome from being leaked. I’d venture all contestants stay on location and are prohibited from posting on social media etc until the production has wrapped.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I went to school with one of the winners. My wife actually grew up right down the road from him. When we went back to my hometown to celbreate his sucesss I was there when someone asked about the sponsorship. He said no. He was not sponsored at the time of the show. However, after the show, opportunities opened up. As for when he won and it was over, he told me, they keep you for a bit and check you out (not sure how long), he then said, "they dont let you run right out and start eating cheeseburgers."

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
Poser is correct - at least from what I was told. He was not allowed to post on social media, or talk to anyone, not even his family until the episode was aired.

BluMtn

WKR
I know on the show survivor that when you are voted off the Island you are sent back to a hotel that has been setup for the production crew and you live like a king or queen as the case may be, I watched an interview with one of the contestants that was one of the first ones voted off and he said it was great. Had a month long vacation at the hotel and ate really well along with swimming in the pool and ocean.

fwafwow

WKR
I can see the quarantine in concept, but I doubt they keep them segregated until the show airs. That would be quite a long time. I completely agree that the contestants are under restrictions on communications for much longer - until the shows are aired, and in some respects, for a period of time thereafter.

Some reality shows keep early "losers" (my term) around in case there is a need to put them back in - either for dramatic reasons, or because someone bows out early (not relevant to Alone).

I haven't seen the current season but have watched most of them. I never really got the impression that they were sponsored by any gear companies. It does seem likely that they probably get a gear stipend from the production. The camera never intentionally shows labeling and I don't recall a single time that a contestant has mentioned a piece of gear by brand name. You also have to consider that most viewers have no idea nor care what camo pattern a guy is wearing.

Early on, I was surprised that there were not more people wearing high end hunting clothes. It's definitely picked up over the last few years.