Arizona CC hits coming Friday...

The longer they wait after the CC update deadline to do this draw, the more of a headache they are creating for themselves. They did the right thing by pushing the update back, but they should have been ready to do the draw immediately after the CC update deadline.
There is obviously something really wrong with the draw this year. I wish they’d just be open and let us know what in the hell is going on and quit telling us it because of the increase in applicants. There’s been a smaller increase every year for the last couple of years and it never caused any delay. To blaim a 10% increase on this is pretty insane at this point.

Diz

FNG
There is obviously something really wrong with the draw this year. I wish they’d just be open and let us know what in the hell is going on and quit telling us it because of the increase in applicants. There’s been a smaller increase every year for the last couple of years and it never caused any delay. To blaim a 10% increase on this is pretty insane at this point.
I would bet it's related to the updates they made to the portal this year. Remember back in December everyone got an email saying you had to update your portal login. It seems like something went awry with this update. For the sake of speculating further, perhaps these issues caused them to have to process some of the apps manually. Which is why the number of applications is causing a delay to the draw. Here's the email reminder I received.

GAME AND FISH NEWS
Jan. 15, 2021
Arizona Game and Fish Department​
AZGFD provides solutions for updating your portal account
PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) recently updated its online systems to provide enhanced features for its customers.

What must you do to access the updated features? AZGFD sent out emails Dec. 8–10 to portal account customers (to the current email address the department has on file) with instructions about how to update portal accounts. The email was sent from [email protected] via amazonses.com, and the subject line reads: “Your Arizona Game and Fish account has new features! Log in today.” If you still have access to that email, make sure to click the link in the body copy to confirm your account and update your login information. It is imperative you complete this step.

AZGFD strongly recommends you do this before purchasing a hunting or fishing license or applying for the upcoming elk and pronghorn draw.

f you cannot find the email that AZGFD sent Dec. 8–10, click here and you will be able to request a password reset on your existing portal account. You must know the user name or email associated with your portal account to activate the password reset.

If you updated your account information after Dec. 8, no need to take further action.

Updated account features include:
  • Enhanced customer account management: you can add dependents to your account and update your information 24/7.

• Customer information automatically populates fields when purchasing your online license so that you don’t have to reenter information again and again.

• The ability to purchase hunting and fishing licenses for dependents linked to your customer account and also add those dependents to your draw application.

Diz

FNG
So basically all of you guys that didn't follow the instructions back in December are responsible for all this :ROFLMAO:
Ha. That wasn't what I meant but I see how it sounds like that. I would assume there were issues with the new portal that caused the problem. But I'm just speculating while I wait to see that I wasn't drawn.

BBob

WKR
No doubt the new system caused issues. Just about every time they've gone with a new system/contract there have been problems. This is the most bitching I've ever seen over it though. I'll call it the new normal internet outrage. I also doubt that AZ actually runs or even owns the system themselves. In the past they've stated it's a contracted out thing and I'll bet this new system is contracted and run by an outside vendor as well.

Reactions: Diz

Diz

FNG
I agree BBob and have been fairly patient since they haven't missed any of the actual published deadlines yet. I do see why some are frustrated if they've had cc fraud in the meantime since they're not doing the call backs for declined cards anymore. but that seems to be a very small minority. they allowed a second cc update deadline to try and fix that problem. not to say fraud can't happen again while we wait. We'll see how it plays out.

Pro953

WKR
So basically all of you guys that didn't follow the instructions back in December are responsible for all this :ROFLMAO:

I was told that is exactly what is was. The system is loaded with duplicate records as applicants created new accounts instead of updating current accounts. They are having to merge these together to join the accounts with the points to the accounts with the application.

That said this is 3rd hand information so it may not always be the applicants fault it could be a design error in the system making the duplicate accounts. The former was just how it was expressed to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
I was told that is exactly what is was. The system is loaded with duplicate records as applicants created new accounts instead of updating current accounts. They are having to merge these together to join the accounts with the points to the accounts with the application.

That said this is 3rd hand information so it may not always be the applicants fault it could be a design error in the system making the duplicate accounts. The former was just how it was expressed to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anecdotal evidence here, I followed the instructions in December and have had zero problems. I have seen my points and applications the entire time.

Extrapale

WKR
Anecdotal evidence here, I followed the instructions in December and have had zero problems. I have seen my points and applications the entire time.
Not everyone got the December email.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Thomas11

WKR
The thing is, why send out and deadline for cc updates on Friday at 5 if they aren’t going to hit cards?! They are just making themselves look like idiots at this point?!! That was about the dumbest thing they could have done. Real boneheaded

The thing is, why send out and deadline for cc updates on Friday at 5 if they aren’t going to hit cards?! They are just making themselves look like idiots at this point?!! That was about the dumbest thing they could have done. Real boneheaded
I completely agree! Mistakes happen and troubleshoot as necessary, but don’t make the same “oopsie” again and call it a “mistake”!

Just make sure everything is good, send out a CC update for xx date and run them the following day!!!

They are about to get reamed by hunters all over again and they did it to themselves. Get ready for a third CC update date 😂

Thomas11

WKR
They are about to get reamed by hunters all over again and they did it to themselves. Get ready for a third CC update date 😂
They sure did! Why put the cc deadline out there if you’re not ready? I mean that has to be the dumbest thing I’ve saw yet. Honestly I feel sorry for the poor folks at AZGF. It has to be embarrassing for them

I already personally know of one applicant with fraudulent charges since the last CC update (and who had pretty good odds of drawing). The CSR said they can’t do anything, so they better be planning another CC update or to call declined cardholders.

The department has already torched their credibility, so they also got some ’splainin to do. Blaming it on record applicant numbers a marginal increase in apps this year just doesn’t cut it.

come2elmo

WKR
All things considered I am fine with AZ hitting my card only when they need it. Beats the hell out of the charge me now refund me later bs the other states do. Which probably came about because of all the deadbeats that drew a tag and never paid for it when G&F came calling. Which probably caused its own forum thread or back in the day bulletin board post. Given all the whining about it on here if I was AZ I would say fine. We will just charge you up front then run the draw when we damn well please. Given the fact Santa is just going to push most of us down the slide anyway I for one will just wait patiently for the text from my cc company.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
All things considered I am fine with AZ hitting my card only when they need it. Beats the hell out of the charge me now refund me later bs the other states do. Which probably came about because of all the deadbeats that drew a tag and never paid for it when G&F came calling. Which probably caused its own forum thread or back in the day bulletin board post. Given all the whining about it on here if I was AZ I would say fine. We will just charge you up front then run the draw when we damn well please. Given the fact Santa is just going to push most of us down the slide anyway I for one will just wait patiently for the text from my cc company.
Unpopular opinion, but as an Arizonan, I'm all in favor of moving to a system like New Mexico and other states.

Pay prior to the draw. No points. No more point creep. Randomized draw across the board. Waiting periods after successful draws.

There's no perfect solution. But the current systems in most western states does not provide an advantage to the average hunter. They're very successful revenue generating operations which have only been bolstered by the likes of GoHunt, YouTube and such. Not that more money is a bad thing. The conservation and wildlife management aspect of hunting funds tends to get overlooked too often in my opinion.

Selfishly, I'd rather have a system that doesn't all but eliminate the opportunity for non-resident and new hunters to get into some of the best units in western states. For example, there isn't enough lifetime left in me to even consider trying to hunt Muleys in Paunsaugunt.

Tangental rant over. We now resume our regularly scheduled coverage of impatiently waiting for AZGFD.