Atv tires for PNW

Any suggestions? Was just at les scwab, not much of a selection and premium price. Don't need anything huge to dig trenches through a mud pit, just hunting and exploring, lot of snowy mountain roads.

Honda rancher, if it matters

Trees91

WKR
Maxxis bighorn are pretty classic. Fairly light, radial and non directional so you can rotate. I run them on rocks and dry trails mostly. Not sure how they would do in deep snow.

Broomd

WKR
Check out the MassFX 6 plies on eBay, great tires, and priced right.
Unless inflation has killed the price on 'em, they are a bargain.

I've never needed anything more on the ranch..

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
I always use ITP mudlites, they aren’t as smooth when it’s dry but when the weather sux they handle the snow and mud substantially better.

Wrench

WKR
The surf/maxis are kind of "everything you need and nothing you don't". They're better than stock in most ways and it takes a lot of money to surpass them. I've run em in deep snow and they do alright.

Wrench

WKR
My favorite to date is the titan 589. They're able to run over chainsaws and avoid a flat. They're heavy, but if you run anywhere flats are a potential, these can run damn near flat.

GBC Dirt Commander, great all-around tire. I use them from dirt hard pack trails to deep mud here in Alaska. No issues so far,

I also run the Kenda Bear Claws. Have them on my Forman 500 for six years and they still have lots of life. Aggressive and great on dirt, rock and mud. They even work good on the snow and ice when the plow goes on for winter.

rgramjet

FNG
I just replaced the factory Maxxis tires on my 2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 with the exact tires that came on it.

Aggressive enough to get through the soupy muddy stuff and does well in snow. I've plowed countless deep snow and crossed many a stream.

Great tires!

BluMtn

WKR
The best all around tire I can recommend is the Maxxis Bighorn Original. Not the 2.0, 3.0, or whatever they are making now. I have been using those tires for almost 20 years now. In all those miles on ATV's, and SxS's I have only had a couple flats caused from nails. The current set I have on my SxS has about 7,000 miles on them and still have life left in them. I ride Pavement, F.S. roads, and trails. They work extremely well in the snow when aired down to less than 2#'s. When we were riding the ATV's all the time before the SxS's came out we rode more in the winter than the rest of the year. Just my and a couple dozen of my friends opinion.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
I also run the Kenda Bear Claws. Have them on my Forman 500 for six years and they still have lots of life. Aggressive and great on dirt, rock and mud. They even work good on the snow and ice when the plow goes on for winter.
These seem to have pretty good reviews as I search around. Do they float decent in packed snow?

Honestly never just launched the quad into deep deep snow or use it for boondocking, that usually = towing them out with truck or tractor. When we get the cold smoke it’s so dry it blows away like dust. When it’s wet and heavy slop 3-6” no issues. When I was building houses and full time construction I would plow out job sites with my Honda Forman 500. The Kendas just kept digging and working great. The heavy weight of the snow while plowing was the limiting factor. I bought a set of chains but never put them on even when working at 7000’ in Big Sky MT. Pics today with several years of use

Attachments

• 0E7D67BD-48F8-4F57-90D4-33F4E69524E9.jpeg
    0E7D67BD-48F8-4F57-90D4-33F4E69524E9.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 11
  • C9447C98-4FA4-4D0F-8A9E-272A3AFC43BC.jpeg
    C9447C98-4FA4-4D0F-8A9E-272A3AFC43BC.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 12

Elkmagnet

FNG
GBC Dirt Commander, great all-around tire. I use them from dirt hard pack trails to deep mud here in Alaska. No issues so far,
GBC Dirt Commander came stock on my new SXS. I've been very impressed with this tire also. I'm have only 1K miles on them but will use them again when it's time to replace. They are also 8 ply.

I've got STI Outback Max on my SXS. They're awesome in mud and snow, terrible on gravel roads. I'm not going to buy them again.

Love the radial HTR Kendra Bear Claws in stock size on my Grizzly 550. Had 'em for 3 yrs now...excellent for our logging roads Also for pulling a quad trailer many hrs into the back country of Northern BC on caribou and moose hunts through swampy and muddy conditions, up steep rocky exploration roads, in some snow and crossing rivers. Good plowing snow too.

Look up Chaparral Motor Sports video review of a bunch of ATV tires comparing in multiple conditions. The HTR Bear Claw is well rounded.

Last edited: