Backcountry food. What’s your go-to?

What are some of your favorite things to pack into the back country for those epic elk hunts y’all do? I’m talking breakfasts, snacks, bars, dinners etc. What are the things you cannot live without that help you get through those high gain hunts? I’m a Cliff bar, salami, cheese kind of guy but I wanna hear what else is out there. Send it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm using a four-wheel-drive to setup a camp along some boulder-strewn two-track goat trail, I take all the fixings for home-cooked meals.

If I'm flying in with a Piper PA-18, or backpacking in from a four-wheel-drive camp, I take that which is based on an extreme-exertion mountaineering diet.

It's all backcountry, whether I'm using a plane, a highly modified four-wheel-drive vehicle, or my two feet.

Belvitas w/almond butter, cliff bars, trail mix, mtn ops enduro packets, coffee packets, top ramen, peak refuel, mtn house, tuna packets and different protein bars seem to be in the pack a lot.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Ramen Bombs are our go to for backpack meals. A ton of variety and WAY less sodium that commercial stuff. Hydration packets from Costco give a decent change from plain water. Always have a pack of gum along too.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Sour gummies. They don't make the 100+ cal/ oz but they sure break up the monotony of the backpack meals and bars, and I love them. Yes. I know. I'm a grown ass man, I shave and pay enough taxes to support a small family but I still love kid's candy.
I also like to make my own breakfast cereal. I can really crank up the calories and add whatever dehydrated fruit.

Keith5579

FNG
Bagels, jif peanut butter in the .75 oz pkg, strawberry jelly and honey in condiment packages.

Rice cup and a chicken pouch if I want a hot meal.

I90west

FNG
I’m typically eating granola bars, jerky and fruit throughout the day. Usually don’t make a big meal until supper. The go-to meals include: tacos, spaghetti w/ canned meat sauce, chicken or grouse Alfredo, and Chili/mash potatoes.

Guilty pleasure meal: The Double V - Vienna Sausages and Velveeta Mac&Cheese. Would recommend it as a supper meal because it usually puts you in a coma afterwards.

gwtravis

Lil-Rokslider
I like a ribeye but I recommend you pack some oak or even charcoal because spruce will fark it up quick. Maybe seasoned larch if you are in the arctic. Never gas though. Go bologna if all you have is gas.