Backcountry food. What’s your go-to?

OP
O
I have used Off Grid meals for a couple seasons and they were awesome. Apparently they went out of business though. It’s too bad because their food was tasty and healthy. I’ve heard PEAK is another decent brand for the big meals. Seems that’s the consensus? Anyone use anything else besides the go to MH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next Mile meals are good for those who can’t eat or don’t need an entire Peak by themselves.
If I am sitting and glassing more than burning calories, or stuck in camp on rainy days, the full-size meals like Peak or MH are just too much. Next Mile are more keto than carb. You can add carbs to it on the side if you want, like a tortilla or instant mashed potatoes.
We do pack Peaks though for my husband and me to split.

Sour Patch Kids
Pro Bars ( Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip)
Wilderness Athlete( Hydrate and Recover/blue raspberry)
Peak Refuel Homestyle Chicken and Rice

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Breakfast I typically take overnight oats with dehydrated ingredients. I like chocolate peanut butter as it fills me up better. I typically take mid morning sugar bomb like pop tarts or mini donuts (dont get eaten if the action is good but helps motivate me if it is slow) lunch I typically do some Tuna and crackers, typically carry some jerky, used to do some peanut butter and bagel type stuff but body has been craving more protein last couple years. Dinner I like ramen I dont care about high sodium. Most of us are too low on sodium. Then I have a bag that looks like my kids Halloween haul.

I only backpack for a couple days so will take heavier food and dont count calories.

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
I really like those FBomb bars. Good calorie to weight and tasty. Can’t find them anymore. Hope they’ll make another run prior to elk season.

Marble

WKR
Slightly veering from the topic, but not really...

This last weekend we hiked to a new spot to scout for an elk tag here in CA. We ran into an outfitter with two buddies. They rode in for the night and were just there to fish and drink beer. We both just happened to be headed to the same lake.

After we got our camp set up, the guide came over and invited us over for dinner. He gave us cold beer, hot bake potatoes, homemade beans with canned deer meat and fire roasted pork tenderloin.

Man I wish I could eat like in the back country. It was awesome.

And we found some elk. They were swimming around in the lake like a bunch of dogs.

a8ef7d5f1e7f3e4bab385ec39121b58c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I like to grill some chicken breast, slice it into fajita strips, and add it to my lunch/snack bag. Cliff bar or honey stinger and trail mix

COelk89

FNG
Fun size twix bars (always take twice as many as expected), higher quality tuna +mayo/mustard, dehydrated beans + instant rice + taco seasoning, ramen w/ whatever mixed in, dried sausage or jerky for mixing in meals and snacking, banana chips and other dried fruit, Velveeta cheese packs, clif bars, maybe some kale or seaweed chips if I am feeling extra granola.

Whip

WKR
I like dehydrating my own meals and have been working on menu for this year this week. I'm doing enough for my partner and myself. Here's what will be on the menu for up to 18 days in camp:

Spagetti
Patrick's Casserole
Venison Roast & Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Thanksgiving Dinner (Chicken & Stuffing w/gravy)
Lasagna
Shepard's Pie
White Chili
Scalloped Potatoes & Ham

Breakfasts will be oatmeal & raisons or cold granola cereal with Nido powdered milk. (accept to substitutes!).
Lunches are tortilla roll ups with tuna, chicken or salami and cheese.
Trail mix, Cliff bars & dried fruit for snacks.

madtinker

Lil-Rokslider
Sour gummies. They don't make the 100+ cal/ oz but they sure break up the monotony of the backpack meals and bars, and I love them. Yes. I know. I'm a grown ass man, I shave and pay enough taxes to support a small family but I still love kid's candy.
I also like to make my own breakfast cereal. I can really crank up the calories and add whatever dehydrated fruit.
Tell me more about your breakfast cereal please.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Just dehydrated a bunch of venison jerky, I do a Korean BBQ style marinade and then smoke for 2 hours before dehydrating.
For breakfasts I make up my own cereal or oatmeal. I like the Bobs Red Mill Meusli, and add hemp seeds or various types of nuts, dried blueberries, protein powder, dried milk, dried honey. When you add a little hot water in the morning it is delicious. I’ll also do similar with oatmeal, and add dried butter instead of milk. You can add variety by changing up different fruits and nuts you add to it.
I like to make my own granola bars by throwing nuts, dried fruit, and even jerky, into a processor, add in some dates, a little dark chocolate, pinch of sea salt and grind it all up and press it into bars. They are way better than Clif bars, very calorie dense, and you know exactly what’s in them.
For dinners I dehydrate various stuff that I like to eat. Gonna be making a couple batches this week. My favorite is this Indian chicken that I sort of made up from this curry spice mixture my wife picked up. Basically it’s sautéed chicken in this spicy curry sauce with coconut milk. I dehydrate that along with some rice and it rehydrates really well. Also will do a big batch of venison pot roast with some neck roasts that are in my freezer, and a batch of spicy chili Mac. I love dehydrating my own meals because you have control of ingredients. I have high blood pressure and I can keep it in check with diet and exercise. However I cannot eat Mountain House or other processed meals due to the excessive sodium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
Wife and I make our own stroganoff, spaghetti, mexican beef w/ rice meals and dehydrate them. Huge difference in everything compared to the crappy freeze dried meals. I think you get way more nutrition out of meals you make and dehydrate than those weak dried meals you buy for way to much money. Your body doesn't have to adjust to any weird chemicals and it basically doesn't miss a beat with what you're putting in your stomach. I have hunted with people eating the freeze drieds and compared to me eating my homemade meals, after 4-5 days, they're run down and feeling way more depleted affecting mountain performance compared to me. And we're both fit people, pretty comparable at the start of a hunt.

DeePow

FNG
I’ve started creating my own renditions but use LL Balanced’s no bake bars.

I add scoops of protein powder, will sub honey for maple syrup, add a variety of nuts, and what not. These are delicious bars and pack solid calorie / protein