Backcountry food. What’s your go-to?

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Backpack hunting- Bfast coffee, granola bars and sometimes oatmeal, lunch tuna packets or chicken packets in a tortilla, dinner Ramen bombs lately, much cheaper than mtn house, would like to try peak though .

Instant Oatmeal and coffee for breakfast.

Peanut butter-honey sandwich for lunch.

Peak dehydrated meals for dinner.

Snacks during the day include Honey Stingers, trail mix, Kind bars, almonds, cashews, pecans. And some snack sized candy bars. I also mix up some powdered drinks for hydration and recovery.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
My go to is the following.

2 instant packs of oatmeal for breakfast.

1 Bagel with pb&J for lunch

1 mountain house stoked with a Ramen for dinner.

Then some bars, cliff bars, cheese, salami during the day.

Found that I dont really find the time for trail mix etc.

Been able to get 3000+ calories a day.

chav0_12

FNG
Here’s my food list. I’ll be removing the almonds this year since they just don’t sit well in my stomach. I’ll usually do this if I’m base camping too. It just makes it easier to not bring a bunch of extra stuff. I also pack some mountain ops or something like it to pour in a water bottle to give me some extra flavor. IMG_4725.jpeg

Aerosith

FNG
SALAMI is HIGHLY UNDERRATED! Many people don't realize the caloric intake your body needs during high intensity hunts. Not only does salami have high fat/high protein, it can also last well over a week at moderate temperatures.

Last edited:
Honey Stinger Waffles are awesome. Peanut butter and honey on a tortilla. Dried mangoes are always a pick me up. Spam singles are great!

chism717

FNG
Salami, jerky or summer sausage for midday glassing sessions. I usually pack a few of the honey stinger waffles or gel packs as well as the clif bar nut butter bars (chocolate and peanut butter) for on the go snacking. And a sandwich baggie of albanese sour gummy bears for in-between nicotine intake.

Starkist chicken creations (buffalo, lemon pepper, etc) wrapped in a soft tortilla. Sounds random/gross but its actually pretty good, hardly takes up space in the pack, light, and packed with protein. I always looked forward to them halfway through the day on my last elk hunt. Along with that id say the typical trail mix, jerky, cliff bars

chav0_12

FNG
Have you tried cashews? Those do way better for me.

“Wisten to the whythmic whythm of the woodwinds as it wowws awound and awound…and it comes out here!” — Elmer Fudd
I haven't I actually completely changed my diet this year so I'm sort of fretting what I'm going to take hunting and haven't figure it out yet. I switch to an animal-based diet, and I've cut out all processed foods. The occasional times that I have had something it's wrecked my gut. I've especially cut out any sort of seed from my diet, so nuts of any form are out for me. I'm really worried that I'm going to get short on TP come September, if I don't find something that'll work for me.

TXRM1280

FNG
Stowaway Gourmet for warm meals are legit. Tortillas and meat shredz for lunches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
I love bagels normally, but can’t seem to enjoy them backpacking no matter how fresh, or what the flavor. Weird.

Every night a special treat that is worth the extra weight is applesauce. Also weird.

The trophy for weird food has to be a guy who packed a banana for every day, no matter the weather. To keep from bruising they were wrapped in a wet tshirt - a dry T-shirt still bruised, but sure enough every day there was a nice perfect yellow peel.

frbg2019

FNG
I recently made my own pemmican for lunches (along with other snacks). Kinda weird at first; similar texture to milk chocolate, but very satisfying and no GI issues. Definitely a reason this was widely used. Calorically dense; long lasting. Still sticking with space food (dehydrated meals) for dinners.

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
We went together as an extended family and bought a freeze drier. Any meals that my wife makes can be freeze dried and packed as long as it's not too fatty or greasy. Pasta, soups, fruit, chili, etc. I've tested a bunch of different stuff. For me, to be able to eat good "home cooked" meals that I enjoy has made of huge difference in my back country hunts. No more choking down a Mt House on day 5.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk