BDC reticles vs dial turret for hunting

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
For me this is an easy question to answer. A RELIABLE dialing scope. There's not to many of them out there that don't weigh over 30 oz. Leupold definitely doesn't make the cut.

-Swfa super sniper 3-9
-Bushnell lrst 4.5-18 from cameraland for $750 is a steal.
-Nighforce SHV

There are a ton of compromise's on sfp bdc reticles. Elevation is the easiest correction to make why not make it precise? That's one compromise. But by far the biggest handicap of bdc's is windage adjustments. Some don't give any wind holds, some have a very basic 10mph at 90° or something. So you're stacking variables with a sorta close elevation hold with a half assed guess of a wind hold -that doesn't equate to hitting things consistently.
you're right but I've practiced in high winds (15 +) and personally don't want to shoot even the paltry (yawn) 600 in those winds. When the bullets drifting the body length, personally I need to get closer. And I was really convinced when Ryan Avery told me he dials for elevation but holds for wind. Just my opinion and choice

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m tossing this same idea around. I’ve been a hold over or bdc guy. Going to look at my first turret scope and see how it goes. But I think I have a good teacher in mind and a great place to work out the details. My deer gun wants a new scope.
let us know how it goes!

Blaw

WKR
let us know how it goes!
Hey Robby, how do you find holding in wind at 500yrds. What is your cut off as far as will you are willing to hold in that regards?

I'm digging the dials, but something about a sleek low profile scope is really nice.

do you find the 1" tube more restricting than the 30mm?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Robby, how do you find holding in wind at 500yrds. What is your cut off as far as will you are willing to hold in that regards?

I'm digging the dials, but something about a sleek low profile scope is really nice.

do you find the 1" tube more restricting than the 30mm?
Hi, One thing that sold me on going BDC is when I found out @Ryan Avery doesn't typically dial for wind, just elevation.

So to answer your question, I hold for wind. But it's also one reason I limit my ranges to less than the 730 hashmark and probably wouldn't shoot in more than about 15 mph winds, the most I've tested it in.

Dirtriding4life

Lil-Rokslider
I will chime in here keeping in mind that I have significantly less kills than many of the other contributors. I spend about 3-5 range days a year primarily to prepare for a hunt. I previously had been using a 3-9 Vortex and holding over using their BDC reticle. As I’ve been hunting bigger country I found myself between hash marks and with that reticle holding for wind would have been floating outside of any reticle line. I understand a Christmas tree reticle would solve this but it becomes a very busy reticle especially in low light.

Two seasons ago I upgraded to a SHV 3-10x42 with a Kilo rangefinder and their ballistic app. For me this is an ideal mid priced setup that I can reliably quickly dial after the rangefinder spits out the correct MOA that I have verified at the range. There is some time removing caps but a 300+ yard shot I won’t take in a hurry to begin with. In a hurry one could use reticle MOA has marks as well.

I’m completely sold on dialing for elevation and holding wind. This setup allowed me to confidently take my buck this year bedded frontal at 360 and bull broadside at 450 using a 30-06 that I would have never tried with my old scope.

Blaw

WKR
Hi, One thing that sold me on going BDC is when I found out @Ryan Avery doesn't typically dial for wind, just elevation.

So to answer your question, I hold for wind. But it's also one reason I limit my ranges to less than the 730 hashmark and probably wouldn't shoot in more than about 15 mph winds, the most I've tested it in.
ok so you are still comfortable taking long shots (past 400) with some light wind

Wrongside

WKR
For what it’s worth, most scopes worth their sand as a dialing scope contain moa or mil based reticles, which you can use as a bdc and hold. Holding with some understanding and a good mil or moa based reticle is more adaptable than most bdc reticles Iv come across, and much easier to be more precise.

It isn’t hard to fudge up even a 300 yard shot. It takes me seconds to dial my scope, if at all I have time I always do. I’d rather be as precise as possible.
I hunted with a BDC ret for years, but am definitely in the same camp as Lawnboi now. It’s easy to memorize Mil drops for ‘quick’ holdover type shooting, if needed. And yet have the option to be much more precise with dialing if time allows.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I loved my Zeiss Rapid Z reticles and even had a load that was based on the reticle for several years. I changed a few years back to a Huskemaw with a turret. It has taken some getting used to but I do like it. For longer distance shots, it is awesome but it does take some time to get the cover off and dialed. The dial is more accurate for sure. I do miss the speed of the bdc though.

Any reticle can essentially be point and shoot to 300y with a 200y zero. That’s how I set up all my hunting rigs.

Once you get past 300y all bullets drop a whole lot more. The BDC is a good idea, but I think 1) point and shoot below 300y 2) too much variance and not enough solid markings over that to be confident past maybe 400y.

Having hunted with BDC for a few years I think it’s kinda pointless. Not needed below 300y not useful above 400y. My vote is for a good turret style scope and TONs of range time so you aren’t fiddling with dials in the field.

I wrote this article five years ago and my mind is still not changed. For sub-600 (I can get to 700+ with 270 WSM), I love the BDC style option. Quick, fast, not a lot to learn, and your eye stays in the scope. You'll see if you hunt big mule deer much, seconds count.

And here's a follow up article with a similar scope and two scenarios where I had no time to dial.

But I'd never argue with the proficient-at-dialing guys. They kill piles of game.
Hey that was a great article thanks. I think im going to stick with mostly operating with the BDC. (Leupold B&C) If im correct the new one had a CDS that i can mess with dials if i want anyway. Play with best of both worlds

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey that was a great article thanks. I think im going to stick with mostly operating with the BDC. (Leupold B&C) If im correct the new one had a CDS that i can mess with dials if i want anyway. Play with best of both worlds

Sure. Could be best of both worlds. I’ve talked to several guys since I wrote that who use the hybrid scopes and are pretty happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk