Bed mattresses at home

My wife and I had a queen sized Leesa for the last 5 years, it was great the entire time and we're keeping it for a guest bed as it probably had another couple years left in it. We wanted to upgrade to a King size, best decision we've made.

Went with a Bear Pro. It's really awesome, the top 2 inches is pretty plush and then under that it's nice and firm. I'm about 215# and I sleep great on it. The other thing about the bear mattresses is they're wrapped in some special fiber that reflects infrared back at you (doesn't make you sleep hot) and relaxes your muscles / improve blood flow blah blah blah. I thought it was just advertising until about a week after owning it I realized I have been waking up and not having to stretch out my calves before going to the gym.

the sleepopolis.com website does a really good job doing reviews of mattresses and I think their ratings on firmness are pretty good to my preferences.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mattresses are like boots, you just gotta find the one that works for you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I wouldn't buy a mattress I couldn't try.

We had an individually wrapped coil mattress that was great - then it was time for another one. Think wife's sister may have got new bed so we had to. Did the local factory direct thing, got one and it was okay but she had to swap it out.

3 or 4 years and she wants another one, this one bothers her back. Even with doing all the flips and flops, twists and turns they recommend to prolong mattress life. What they don't tell ya is that a 260# guy on one side and 110# woman on the other doesn't make for similar wear patterns - she doesn't like sleeping in the craters I make. LOL!

Wish we stayed with the first one.

Anyway, we're in the talking phase of replacing the bed. Going up from queen to king so she can have her own side and not get influenced by my use of the bed.

Find one you like, make sure you like it for 6 months or a year and then buy another one cause you know they'll discontinue that model sooner or later.

Good luck.

sleep number for around 10 years very few back issues since switching the beauty is that it's not a one size fits all since the left and right are adjustable on separate bladders.

Zdub02

WKR
Wife and I got a Zinus memory foam mattress and love it. We were able to try it while staying at an AirBnB and got the model name from the owner before purchasing. We both sleep great on it and it was delivered right to our door

Trial153

WKR
The best nights sleep I ever had was at the Glen House.
My wife called and practically begged for the name/brand and model of their king size mattress and pillows. Their manager claimed they are commercially made/sold and not available to the public, as well as they couldn't disclose the manufacturer ....I was like WTF.

Anyway i am no help. We have gone through two sets the last 6 years or so and neither have thrilled me. My wife says she is ordering a purple hybrid....

Donjuan

WKR
@KickinNDishin and I have decided we need a new mattress. I have chronic back issues, and if something gets off, it takes some time for things to get back right. If I sleep in the spare room, where MY old firm wonderful mattress is, itight take a night or two to get squared away. She has also had some nights that weren't comfortable and woke up feeling not rested or sore for no reason.

Who has experience with some of the mail order type mattresses? Wink, Purple, Tuft and Needle, etc. We have Denver Mattress here in town, and will go by there, but it seems we can save some money doing the online "factory direct" sort of business model. I have read a lot of online reviews from various sleep sites, and would have ordered a Wink already, but the more info the better.

I would love to hear about your recent mattress shopping and purchasing experience. We all know sleep is paramount to health, and training to hunt is greatly effected by your health.
I never thought I'd buy a $2500 tempur pedic but here I am. Best bed I've ever slept on.

Sleep number is just an air mattress

cciliske

FNG
I have a pretty awful back (lots of ruptured discs) and we bought a Tuft and Needle Mint. Been outstanding thus far and would recommend. More on the firm side which I prefer.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
I never thought I'd buy a $2500 tempur pedic but here I am. Best bed I've ever slept on.

Sleep number is just an air mattress
Sleep Number is a air mattress but it's a pretty advanced one, it sure isn't a Coleman. A lot of tech was put into the design. It's a real bed for sure. The bluetooth and cellphone app is meh and stupid. I'm sure just a gimmick to suck in the new generation. They are freakin expensive tho, but for my back it was worth it.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Today we ordered a Luuf Firm mattress, and I am excited. There is a small furniture store in Conifer Colorado that had them to try, apparently the owner of the store and the developer of Luuf are good friends, so we went and gave them a whirl. After trying a host of them at Denver Mattress and AFW during the week, including Purple and Casper, this one won us over instantly. On top of that, we walked out of there with a 35% off mattresses code bringing the delivered price for a King to $1170. She also sent us out the door with a 40% off sheets and pillows, but I haven't tried that one yet.
Mattresses code = CO35

Added, turns out it is a 25% off code for sheets/pillows CO25

If you want to test your morals and ethics, there is a 40% code for mattresses "for walgreens employees" walgreens40

Last edited:

Loonman19

FNG
The best nights sleep I ever had was at the Glen House.
My wife called and practically begged for the name/brand and model of their king size mattress and pillows. Their manager claimed they are commercially made/sold and not available to the public, as well as they couldn't disclose the manufacturer ....I was like WTF.

Anyway i am no help. We have gone through two sets the last 6 years or so and neither have thrilled me. My wife says she is ordering a purple hybrid....
I'm staying there for a wedding in July now I have something to look forward to.

grfox92

WKR
We ordered a "Cool Gel Memory Foam" mattress in California King from wayfair.com 4 years ago.

It was one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on including high-end hotel beds. If I remember correctly the price was right around $300.......

Here I just went and found it. Almost 10k reviews and 4.7 stars. There's no question that when we finish building our house we're ordering another one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

heathknox

FNG
We spend a significant amount of time in bed, a good night's sleep has an energizing effect on the body, so when choosing the mattress, it is good to take care of what we desire. When I bought the mattress from hugoandsons.co.uk I liked that they also have deliveries directly home, that our bed is so big and bringing a mattress with our car was not going to fit in any case. That's why she decided to tell them to make her delivery to us at home, which I liked that it is so accessible and is quite advantageous I think. Now I enjoy a good and pleasant sleep.

Last edited:

Wib

Lil-Rokslider
About 5 years ago we were on the hunt. I have a chronic bad back (lower). My back is very fussy. We had it narrowed to two, Sleep Number and Dream Cloud. We went Dream Cloud, and to this day we both love it. I look forward to going to bed, especially when my back is stiff. King size bed with a lift, and the lift was a good idea too. Near eliminated my snoring once adjusted properly.

TheGDog

WKR
Bought one online, can't remember the retailer ATM, but I purposefully went with like firm or medium... becaue it was my understanding that for those of us with back issues, I'd read that firm was supposed to be better.

Also... another thing that influence that choice to firm was before I had this very plush one that I liked a lot for sleeping .... but... for "conjugation"... the fact that is was all nice and plush meant that it robs each of your "strokes" of some of the force and energy because it just pushes you and your partner deeper into the mattress a lil bit so scrubs off some of the force being exerted by your lower back and buttocks into wasted energy... and noted that it created a lot more work and strain to "get there" comparatively speaking. Which led to loer back aggravation.

And yet... in the boys room... he has this Sultan mattress from IKEA that's only like... I'd say 4-5 inches thick... but it has just the right amount of soft to it that ya just zonk out nicely.

RE: that firm mattress needed for back injury thing... I'm thinking perhaps that's more if a person is not a side-sleeper as I now tend to be because of both my lower back injury.... and... deviated septum issues.

Problem seems to be that when you're a bigger dude in the 200+ category... my experience has always been that you HAVE to have a mattress type that supports both rotating it AND flipping it over as well... otherwise... you end up with it develop that depression in it where you lay at, which leads to rounding of your back, and less effective side-sleeper positioning. And I mention this because last time I checked brick and mortar stores... none of the major players in that retail space any longer made mattresses intended to be flipped over. They lie and say you don't need to flip them over, they lie and say it's designed not to need that anymore. That might be true for smaller people, I don't know. But it ain't true for me.

About 5 years ago we were on the hunt. I have a chronic bad back (lower). My back is very fussy. We had it narrowed to two, Sleep Number and Dream Cloud. We went Dream Cloud, and to this day we both love it. I look forward to going to bed, especially when my back is stiff. King size bed with a lift, and the lift was a good idea too. Near eliminated my snoring once adjusted properly.
I'm on the first page post 17, we also love our Dream Cloud but the platform they sent me was from Nest and it was a turd. I thought it was a good platform in the beginning but I was wrong.

We now have this Zinus frame. It's a lot stronger platform and my Wife likes that there is room to put some storage bins under the bed.
This combination of frame and mattress is really working well for us.

Bumping this one up to hear any more current opinions. Leaning toward either a Tuft and Needle or a Sleep Number. Like the idea of the T and N being delivered in a box.