Best 1" scope

yazoomark

FNG
Hey guys, I'm looking to put a new scope on a cooper timberline. I would prefer to keep it relatively lightweight. Shots out to 600yds. I am not really interested in dialing turrets. Can you give me some recommendations for 1" tube scopes? Price is not a huge factor. Also for what its worth, its a 280AI. Thanks in advance.
Mark

Hnthrdr

WKR
With the caution that there may be clearance issues on rifles with straight bolt handles and/or large bolt knobs and 90 degree bolt throw.
Going to have to figure something out with my CA, bastard gun I’m having a gun smith put together

Z3, Z5, and Z6 are all great set them and forget them optics and the mil based BDC reticle is very nice for holds unlike most BDC’s.

Other than that for 600 yards you either need a tree reticle to hold drop and wind drift or you need to dial elevation and hold wind on the reticle.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 1” Meopta Meopro 6.5-20x50 HTR Windmax 8 that would pair nicely with a .280ai. PM me if interested

Macintosh

WKR
The credo 3-9x40 seems spot-on, reports are good on reliability, it can be had at very competitive pricing, etc. I just bought one and the size and handling are good, and I actually really like the magnification knob—zero clearance issues on my tikka, and Ive come to really prefer a low-profile throw lever on my other scopes so I was happy to see this one. This scope is available with standard duplex reticle, as well as a mil-dot reticle or an moa-based hashed reticle to use for holdovers at 9x. I have the standard duplex reticle, but based on the online diagrams the other reticle choices look pretty good to me for the use mentioned.

Rob5589

WKR
Here's a quick overview of the Credo 3-9.

8grenade

FNG
Ziess Conquest 1" scopes might be worth a look.

Their 6.5-20x50mm runs ~$1k, and is available with hunting or target turrets and a few different reticles.

Their are other smaller models available too.

EMAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Ziess Conquest 1" scopes might be worth a look.

Their 6.5-20x50mm runs ~$1k, and is available with hunting or target turrets and a few different reticles.

There are other smaller models available too.
Meopta meopro was the manufacturer Zeiss sourced from for their conquest line up previously. That was the model I was recommending above as well

atmat

WKR
Read these: https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

In general, the only scopes that have passed are NF, S&B, SWFA, and Trijicon. The 1” Trijicon has been recommended several times in this thread.

At 600 yards you need to be dialing or very proficient with an appropriate reticle.

My advice is get an SB Klassic 3-12x42 and just deal with it being a 30mm tube. It’s a beautiful scope, with a very easy-to-use elevation turret that’s limited in travel to 600 or so yards on flat shooters. It has capped windage, good illumination, and very nice glass. And it’s still relatively lightweight at ~20oz.

Mildot

FNG
Talley lightweight low rings. No issues, I have used them for years on several rifles. I was going to try a rail or different rings but these don't hang over the side of the receiver and look nice and clean.

Something I did do, the rings come with screws which gives [4] threads engagement into the receiver [.109] protruding from bottom of mount, I had them send me screws one size longer which gave me [6] threads engagement [.174] protruding from bottom of mount. I am sure I didn't need it but I like to tinker. The front screw in the bolt recess area needed the shorter screw for lug clearance, but the other three I went longer on.

BLJ

WKR
Thanks @Mildot. I’m going to check them out.
I’m looking at putting a 3-9 Credo on my Tikka and I’d like to skip a rail if I can.
Not a lot of 1” options for directly mounting to the Tikka.

Mildot

FNG
Here is a photo of the screw that comes with the Talley low mount [bottom screw] and the longer one I got from them [top screw].

The factory screw length is 5/16", I had them send me 3/8" which is their longest. You will need the one 5/16" for the front screw but the longer 3/8" will fit the other three holes.

Hope this helps.

You will love the Trijicon 3-9

Attachments

• IMG_6317 (3).JPG
    IMG_6317 (3).JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: BLJ