Best down puffy. That's actually warm

renagde

WKR
Best depends what you want. If you want the lightest, warmest than nothing compares to the Rab Zero G for warmth to weight ratio. 4.5 oz of 1000 fill power, comes in around 10 oz. Super thin fabric though so might not be the best option for hunting.

mthntnful

FNG
Kuiu SD Pro or First Lite Chamberlain. Kuiu is lighter, FL is warmer and feels slightly more durable. I am careful with my down jackets though.

406unltd

WKR
Not sure it’s the best but the kelvin lite down jacket was awesome all last rifle season.

WRO

WKR
Arcteryx cerium lt is my personal go to when it's really cold.

Plus I wear it everywhere when not hunting..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1jonmon

Lil-Rokslider
Eddie Bauer has an 850 fill that’s hooded and has dwr coating on fill and she’ll for a fraction of what the “designer hunting” companies sell. Love mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
The only way to be really objective about it is to compare the total garment weight, weight of the down in the garment and grade of down. Otherwise it’s like recommending a pack frame or boots and is so subjective.

Some people are just hot blooded and don’t require much insulation and others not so much. Hell, my wife sleeps with more down insulation in a 65 degree bedroom than I do in the backcountry where I’m expecting single digits. It’s ridiculous!

Unfortunately, many down jacket manufacturers don’t list the amount of down fill in the jacket much less the total garment weight.

So, try to find manufacturers that list those details then let price, color and options (hooded or not) be your guide.

Same applies to synthetic insulation as well.

People overlook the skre because it doesn’t have the name recognition but it’s a really nice jacket, if we’re talking about the ptarmigan.

5.2 oz is 850 down is warmer than the kuiu superdown pro which is 5 oz of 850. The skre is also $270 vs $400.

The skre camo pattern is really, really ugly though, if that’s something you care about.

Yes if they made the Skre Ptarmigan in a solid color it would be hands down the bomb.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find a LL Bean down they are bordering too hot….I only wear this when the mercury really dips. Compresses down nicely….

Attachments

• 4308464C-90C6-40E9-8EBD-C9952A2D9719.jpeg
    4308464C-90C6-40E9-8EBD-C9952A2D9719.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 125
Llke my FL Umcompaghre. Probably my favorite piece of clothing. Use it from Sept. elk through late season rifle.

ccarter

FNG
I also bought the Montbell Alpine (not light) this spring. 299.00 for a 17 oz. jacket with 7 oz. of down is tough to beat. In my opinion, for later rifle seasons in the rockies, there comes a time when 5 oz. of fill just isn't warm enough if the wind is howling and you're sitting to glass for long periods of time. Especially if you aren't exerting a lot of energy to get to your glassing spot to get your blood going. I haven't tried it in truly cold weather yet, but I think I'll be better off than I was with my REI magma, which I'd consider more of a sweater weight down. And when I compare the weight of the MB jacket to the hunting brands, considering it has 2 oz. more down fill, it seems like a no-brainer. RAB is another one with great specs plus treated down– they just seem to be a little more scarce in my size and color I wanted.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've never yet found a puffy in the hunting-specific brands which I really like. When I put on a puffy I want to get WARM and stay that way. Camo means nothing to me. It's all about warmth, light physical weight and how it's made. The companies which make expedition-quality gear are the ones I favor. The best I've ever owned is a Feathered Friends Helios jacket. They make hooded and regular versions. Super-warm but very compressible/packable. The clamshell handwarmer pockets beat any other design I've seen or tried.

CJ6d8lGl.jpg

This is what I’m getting.

Gold54bs

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the new Sitka aerolite if you can afford it, not bulky at all, been wearing it in negative temps and staying warm