Best Hunting Boots

I’ve had really good luck with the crispi Nevada’s and the schnees timberlines. Wearing the timberlines now and love them. Lightweight and very comfortable but at the same time tough sand just the right stiffness for me. Both have a more generous toe box for wider feet.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m on the crispi bandwagon too, my favorite are the birksdall SF but some people might not want such a stiff boot. When I don’t want something so stiff, the guides are really nice, I like the extra height. I can wear either of those boots all day with zero issues.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I used to swear by Lowa but have switched to Hanwag and prefer them. Lowa still make great boots but the Hanwags I have fit me better. It is all about what works for your feet. I have set of Gore-Tex lined Hanwags for constant wet weather but my other Hanwags are leather lined boots that seem to mold to my feet better than any Gore-Tex boots ever did. You can still waterproof the leather so unless you are planning for nothing but rain/snow I think the comfort and breathability of leather lined boots outweighs Gore-tex in 90% of my hiking and hunting scenarios.

How did the sizing of the Hanwags compare to what you wore in the Lowas? I am thinking about making the switch too but nowhere to try the Hanwags without ordering online.

I think lengthwise they were very similar but the Lowa toe box seemed cramped (too low) more than a similar size Hanwag. The specific model count have a lot to do with it as well but I had 6 sets of Lowas in the last 15 years (2 Tibets, 2 Zephyr deserts, and 2 Caminos) and the toe box never seemed as comfortable as any of the Hanwags I have had (Nazcat, Mountain Light, Special Forces GTX, and Alta Canyon). I wish that Hanwag had more places to try them on but Sierra Trading sometimes has them. I ordered most of mine Hanwags on a German website called bike24 and it was still much cheaper than ordering from here in the U.S. But a US based company will make returns easier.

The other thing I really noticed between Lowa and Hanwag is that the Hanwag vibram tends to grip much better on wet rock. I compared the Hanwag Mountain Light and the Lowa Tibet Pro with one on each foot and tested how slippery they were on wet rock and wet metal scaffolding and metal stairs and the Hanwag was hands down much better traction. I don't know if it is a softer compound but I have not noticed the Hanwag soles wearing any faster that Lowa.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the information. I've been through several pairs of the Lowa Tibet Hi's with no major complaints and you're correct those soles are slick when wet. The Hanwags I have looked at online are the Alaska and Halverstone (sp?).

Sundby

FNG
I love my kenetrecks but haven’t tried too many others, do t think I’ll need to for awhile.

Coltsp100

FNG
I prefer mid weight and height hikers. Taller boots similar to Crsipi Idahos or Lowa Tibets are a chunk heavier weight and stiffer. Taller and stiffer boots are nearly impossible to stalk quietly. The name of the game in NM or elsewhere with elk is covering gobs and gobs of country. You may also sweat a little more in taller boots? To me weight and comfort are on top of my list. I often use taller boots when there is lots of snow.

Boot brands I've had the most success with are Scarpas, Lowas, and Crispis. Scarpas are great but tend to run narrow. I've had great results with several Lowas over the years (Vantage and Caminos). It's tough to beat Crisipis. I recently bought Wyo's and Dakotas. Crispi recently reduced updated versions of several of their models that you can get for around $100 off....which is tough to beat!

I would highly recommend all leather with the fewest seams available. The more seams the fewer miles you will get out of them. Most synthetic boots have lots of seams and may breath better but likely won't last as long.
Agreed, crispi make the best boots in my opinion. Lowa are nice but if there is a chance of rain/snow I wouldn’t use the lowa. I only use the lowa if I know I have a way to dry them out fast