Best quality overall full grain leather boot??

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Hey mountain hunters... I'm interested in hearing from anyone with a range of experience with multiple brands of full grain leather boots. I have been running the crispi nevada for a few years and wondered how they'd compare to hanwag alaska or yukon, schnees beartooth, or another of comparable quality and similar style boot. Thanks!

grfox92

WKR
My experience is limited. I am currently breaking in a pair of Kenetrek Mountain extremes. I have a thread about it that's active right now.

Anyway after years of research and hearing what people have to say it seems that Crispi Nevada's like you have and Kenetrek are the best quality mountain hunting boots. Some might disagree and I can't say personally yet, but from my summation of years of research, Kenetrek makes the best quality mountain boots that are readily available.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is limited. I am currently breaking in a pair of Kenetrek Mountain extremes. I have a thread about it that's active right now.

Anyway after years of research and hearing what people have to say it seems that Crispi Nevada's like you have and Kenetrek are the best quality mountain hunting boots. Some might disagree and I can't say personally yet, but from my summation of years of research, Kenetrek makes the best quality mountain boots that are readily available.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Well said...thank you. I have spoken to someone very well known in the industry and he didn't have the greatest things to say about either of these brands... to my surprise. But, it's also very difficult to weed out what's real genuine assessments of a product, vs the politically conflicting influence that's led someone to review something poorly. For example, there are some real divas in the backcountry hunting industry. Most the guys that are public figures seem to have beef with guys from other brands and that causes them to claim that the product is inferior. Is difficult to sift through the drama and arrive at a trustworthy conclusion.

When hunting big game down in the Lower-48, I wear White's Lochsa Insulated boot or Meindl's Comfort Fit Hunter 400 boot. I don't use leather boots in Alaska, though. Just sayin' .....

TomJoad

WKR
As far as build quality and materials in a full grain leather boot it’s tough to complete with Zamberland Tofane

I’ve never run Crispi Nevada’s outside of trying them on. I graduated from mountaineering boots from Lowa and Scarpa before moving into the Tofane. I’ve worked with leather and woven materials my entire career, I cannot express how well built the Tofane is.

I don’t represent or have affiliation with any of these or other footwear brands outside of having pro deals for the aforementioned.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Zamberlan 980/981, 961,971. Zamberlan makes an outstanding boot. Plenty of all leather boots in their lineup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WRM

WKR
I "stepped up" to Zamberlans years ago. Now I've adopted the Lathrop's boot line. I can't find anything bad to say about them, and that's saying something.

I've owned alot of different brands of bots(Kennetrek, Scarpa, Danner, Salewa) but so far I like my Zamberlans the best

fatlander

WKR
The one that fits your foot. Quality doesn’t really matter if it doesn’t fit. Finding an insole that works for you is the other important piece of the puzzle.

Lathrop and sons sells an extremely high quality boot, but it didn’t fit my foot.

Schnees fit me like a glove, I’ve got several hundred hard miles on my granites and they’re still kicking. I like schnees so much, I just bought a pair of their kestrels. Once again, the fit is perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Schnees Beartooth is my favorite. Absolutely love them. I get a pair about every 8 years of tough love. Lots of miles in the mountains and also on the plains. Pheasant hunting can be surprisingly hard on boots with every step in vegetation.

I think one thing is different feet fit better in different boots. So what may seem great to me, may seem uncomfortable to you.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
The one that fits your foot. Quality doesn’t really matter if it doesn’t fit. Finding an insole that works for you is the other important piece of the puzzle.

Lathrop and sons sells an extremely high quality boot, but it didn’t fit my foot.

Schnees fit me like a glove, I’ve got several hundred hard miles on my granites and they’re still kicking. I like schnees so much, I just bought a pair of their kestrels. Once again, the fit is perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed... but fit doesn't matter if the boots are crap. I had some high dollar (400) leather boots that had leaky goretex within a year with factory insoles and obsessive care taken to ensure the leather remains soft and supple using manufacturer recommended products and application. I'm actually looking for a 2nd pair of boots as my crispi Nevadas are getting higher mileage. I don't like backcountry trips where my full reliance is on aging boots. The crispis are very comfortable but I question the goretex integrity. Thanks for all viewpoints and experiences.