budget fat tire bike suggestions

I have access to a lot of bike trail that are really soft/sandy and would like to get a bike to ride occasionally. I am looking for suggestions or experience with a budget friendly option. I will not spend a lot of money, because if I get one, I'll have to get my wife one.

Edit: after looking at options, how wide of tires do you recommend? 75% of the riding on gravel roads/trails and 25% on softer dirt/sand. Does a guy really need the 4" tires or what is the next size down?

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Cruise Craigslist in your area for a used one. Post a link up here if you’re interested in one and we’ll give you some feedback. Fatbike popularity has peaked so used options should be decent. Low end new bikes are junk.

OP
timberland
I have been cruising CL. nothing of interest, but it may be early, we still have 40" of snow on the ground.

Rob5589

WKR
Try bikesdirect.com I have their Gravity for just goofing off and it is a solid bike for the price.

Muttly

WKR
Bikes direct has good prices..
Going off the dreaded Facebook, look for Surly Bicycle Trader, there are some decent prices popping up here and there..

For that type of riding you could definitely also look at bikes in the 27.5+ size. True budget bikes will likely be more plentiful in the true fat bike category though.

I can't get on the fat tire hype train. Unless you have a paper route in Minneapolis they don't make a lot of sense. Most 650b/27.5 will take a 2.6 and a 29er will fit a 3.0

Same deal with my wife. We bought Mongoose with 3" tires and they have held up well. Big difference on soft dirt over skinny tires. No regrets.

Poser

WKR
I can't get on the fat tire hype train. Unless you have a paper route in Minneapolis they don't make a lot of sense. Most 650b/27.5 will take a 2.6 and a 29er will fit a 3.0

Off piste in the desert, beach riding, expedition style riding all make sense for a fat bike. I commute to work on one in when there’s snow and ride some snowmobile and XC ski trails on one. Definitely a quiver Bike for me, however.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m in a similar situation as OP. I bought a great mtn bike about 15 years ago and road the Hell out of it, but once son was born 9 years ago I haven’t used it much. Its ancient, but sufficed for my needs. Then I Moved to a town North of Houston and have access to lots of trails again, but SOOOOO much loose sand! My current bike grinds to a halt in about 3 feet. That’s what got me thinking about a fat tire bike. I’d really like to add mtn biking back into my fitness routine a couple times a month. At 45, I’m not looking to spend $2k plus on the latest and greatest, but I don’t want a 35# POS either.

You can’t cheat the mountain