Cheaper bags and pads?

I'm usually a buy once, cry once guy, but with a bunch of other stuff on the list to buy, I'm kinda dreading buying an expensive bag and sleeping pad right now too, so I'm curious how the cheaper stuff compares to the high end bags (WM, SG, Kuiu) and pad (thermarest xtherm).

I realize the bags are quite a bit heavier, but are they as warm? If you were just truck camping, would you care?

Some of the bags I was looking at are:
Klymit KSB 0
Nemo Sonic 0
Black Ovis Chugach 0
Alps Zenith 0 (looks exactly the same as the Black Ovis, but

Pads:
Klymit Insulated Static V (luxe)
Big Agnes Insulated (unsure which model)

Others I'm overlooking/missing?

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
That Klymit static V insulated is super comfortable for me. It's a bit heavier than most, but after sleeping like a baby on it last Sept for 8 nights, I'll gladly take the weight penalty. I picked it up pretty cheap on camofire. I highly recommend it. Can't speak for any other brands.

My cousin bought some pads off amazon that were about $20 and 16oz. Definitely not the best pads you can buy but have lasted him 3 years of backpacking with the kids on several trips. Would likely suffice until you could get a better one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the klymit insulated pad also, works for me but then again I’ve never used anything else. Id like a little thicker if I was being picky but I’m fine with it

Decker9

WKR
I picked up a new -7c bag from Taiga works for this past sheep hunt, I’d say it’s on par with my WM bag, at half the price. Well worth checking out if your in the market for a new quality bag.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Klymit pads are pretty hard to beat for the money. Not the lightest but are comfortable and work. I’ve got 3. And the Static Luxe SL insulated is my go too. High r value and 3.5 inches thick.

I’ve had good luck with some of the Teton sleeping bags as far as inexpensive bags go.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
The biggest benefits to high end sleeping kit are their lightweight and high quality construction. If you're only truck camping, the former doesn't matter at all and the latter can probably be accounted for with an extra layer/blanket since the bags are probably survival rated instead of comfort.

Poser

WKR
Couple of cheap bags to to consider:

Mountain Hardware Bozeman series (bulky but warm and cheap at around $100).

Marmot Trestles (synthetic, $115 for a 15 degree)

Mountain Hardware Rook (down bag in the sub $200 range).

Pad: almost any inflatable + a foam pad will = insulation, but the Sea to Summit SI mat is $80.

BDRam16

WKR
If you have time to be patient you can always go the ebay route. Snagged a 0* Marmot down bag for under $100 shipped and it looks brand new.

I also have the Klymit insulated V and it's definitely usable. It's kind of noisy but what pad isn't honestly? Don't like the pillow it came with at all though.

Kronos

FNG
I have high end ultra light sleeping gear for backpacking. If I'm truck camping all of that would stay behind and any weight concerns would go out the window. Cost and comfort would be my biggest priorities.

Buying a bag only for truck camping, I probably wouldn't even bother with a mummy bag. I'd go with a comfortable large inexpensive square bag (or maybe a really wide mummy) as long as it's reviewed as true to it's temperature rating (EN ratings are nice if the brand uses them). An EN-tested cheap zero-degree bag is going to be just as warm as an expensive EN-tested zero-degree bag; it will just be less compressible, heavier, less water resistant, and maybe with a zipper that snags a little more often.

Assuming you really need a zero-degree bag, maybe this one for $120 (which isn't super-cheap, but looks like good value; my kid has a Teton Sports mummy bag that looks like similar build quality and lining to this Teton Sports square bag): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DDP3JAM

For a pad, I'd use this (I have an older version of this one for truck/boat camping): https://www.rei.com/product/171693/therm-a-rest-basecamp-sleeping-pad

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Following.

I'm also interested in a "truck/trailhead" sleeping bag.

I don't want a mummy bag because I sleep on my stomach and they're too constricting.

I'm heading to Montana in a month for my forst pack hunt in a month and I need a bag. Going to be in wall tents and cots. But eventually when I get my feet wet I want to go out on my own and bring this bag for tbr trailhead and then I'll buy a Western Mountaineering one for spiking out.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good bag that won't break the bank, has a hood. Preferably 0° bag, waterproof, preferably down. I'm fine spending up to $200-250, maybe even a little more if it's worth it.

Suggestions?

Huntin_GI

WKR
While everyone here is talking about how "good" the Klymit series is, I have to disagree. If you are only using it a few days a year in early September then MAYBE. I have a 15 degree Nemo bag and it was paired with the Klymit. Any time the wind was an issue, I froze. I'm talking wearing all my clothes to bed at 12500 ft froze. After the thrid outting as season progressed into rifle hunts, I had endured enough. I moved to a Nemo Tensor and without a doubt that the best $100 and some change I have spent.

Going hard in the back country leaves me wanting an incredible nights sleep so I can do it again the next day.

Also, I could be wrong but didn't Klymits R-value ratings get demolished when they standardized the R rating system?

smitty619

FNG
I have the Nemo Insulated Tensor pad and I really like it a lot. Its 25x32x3, so pretty comfy for side sleepers. It was about $170 @REI, but if you can hold out for a 20% off sale, it might get close to your budget.

I use quilts, and have a 20F top quilt from Loco Libre gear that is great! I think I got it sale during Black Friday for about $220.

While everyone here is talking about how "good" the Klymit series is, I have to disagree. If you are only using it a few days a year in early September then MAYBE. I have a 15 degree Nemo bag and it was paired with the Klymit. Any time the wind was an issue, I froze. I'm talking wearing all my clothes to bed at 12500 ft froze. After the thrid outting as season progressed into rifle hunts, I had endured enough. I moved to a Nemo Tensor and without a doubt that the best $100 and some change I have spent.

Going hard in the back country leaves me wanting an incredible nights sleep so I can do it again the next day.

Also, I could be wrong but didn't Klymits R-value ratings get demolished when they standardized the R rating system?

Just checked klymit website. Holy smokes the rating got demolished from a 4.4 to a 1.9
78f17d545a9cfe9b8dc4b7563de70f3c.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
I picked up a new -7c bag from Taiga works for this past sheep hunt, I’d say it’s on par with my WM bag, at half the price. Well worth checking out if your in the market for a new quality bag.
Their website sucks for listing specs. Bag dimensions are nonexistent. It needs some work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TFP

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just checked klymit website. Holy smokes the rating got demolished from a 4.4 to a 1.9
78f17d545a9cfe9b8dc4b7563de70f3c.jpg

What did you expect? That rating system they use now doesn't take into account sleeping bag loft filling in the weld voids on those Klymit pads which is how they were designed. Anyone with any understanding of how the standard was implemented could see that would be the result. Now, with a quilt they definitely are colder than advertised. With a good bag they're not taking the hit that that new rating method is making it out to be. Nemo pads took a hit in the ratings too, as did some Sea to Summit pads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk