Christensen Arms Ranger .22 LR?

MtGoat

FNG
There are vendors like Target Sports, that will allow you to buy a box of ammo and try it out in your rifle then buy that lot number by the case. This approach allows you to figure out which ammo works with your gun.
The down side is that you need to be good enough to know it is thee ammo and not limitations on the gun or your skill level (my problem :) )

A good place to get real time feed back on rimfire products is Rimfire Central forum.
You will find gunsmiths that work on the top rifles in the nation frequenting the forum.
There is a wealth of knowledge if you winnow your way through the chafe.

Pat

I ordered one... we’ll see when it comes in what it’s all about. But if it shoots half as good as my Mesa Long range in 338 lapua, it will be a lot of fun... I think the price is pretty decent for a solid 22, My two takedowns built out were well above this price tag.

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
How did your CA R 22 shoot? I am looking at one of these right now but I cant find any reviews that show the targets.

I ordered one... we’ll see when it comes in what it’s all about. But if it shoots half as good as my Mesa Long range in 338 lapua, it will be a lot of fun... I think the price is pretty decent for a solid 22, My two takedowns built out were well above this price tag.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The couple of CA .22’s I’ve played with were rough cycling, and had ok precision. Didn’t do any real effort on precision as between it, CZ, Tikka, and of course Vudoo, it’s was not in contention with any of my group.

Plinkers get giddy about it taking 10/22 mags, but that is not a good thing for precision and competition. Nose damage matters on .22’s and feeding and cycling matter for competition (NRL/PRS type). Both of which the 10/22 mags struggle with in comparison to good single stack mags.

As I wrote in another thread, the group I’m around has went pretty deep with suitable .22’s for NRL style matches the last couple of years. From $2k-$3k semi autos, CZ’s, Vudoo, Tikka, etc. The two most consistently consistent and suitable have been of course Vudoos, then the T1x, then CZ. That is precision in 30 round groups, feeding, ejecting, and cycling, trigger, stocks. The Vudoos are averaging just about .4” for 30 rounds at 50 yards. The T1x’s we’ve seen are just +/- .5” for 30 rounds, CZ’s are .6-7”.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ll be buying a CA as the Tikka has yet to make a stainless T1.

I would generally agree, however I certainly do not clean or do any maintenance on rifles, and the T1x that I have has been shot and used in rain, snow, and sleet and isn’t really rusted. I shoot it in whatever weather and put it up. I don’t care about the finish.

worx53

WKR
I ordered a CA and I hope it shoots well. It’s still hard to beat a $225 10/22 with a $185 green mountain barrel and a good trigger kit $99 . Several I’ve seen will shoot std velocity CCI 5 shot groups into under an inch at 100yds.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Having spent half my life with a Anchutz Fortner, you really can't go wrong by having a high quality .22lr. Whenever I go shooting with my wife we practice a lot with the .22 just from different field positions because it's so damn cheap.

OP
MTElkChaser
A buddy of mine bought the CA Ranger and I ended up with a Bergara B-14r. I bought the Barreled Action only to drop into another one of my rifle stocks to use as a trainer. Then I found an HMR Takeoff Stock for $100 and jumped all over it. Couldn’t be happier with the B-14r overall. It’s a great shooter!

worx53

WKR
I have both.. there are some inherent design flaws in the Christensen. Action was loose in stock and had to do some machining to correct it. Not impressed . Does shoot well now that it’s corrected. Not as good as the Bergera but it also weighs nothing. Great hunting gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk