Coffee While Hunting

87TT

WKR
If I'm hunting and usually even fishing, I have my 1 liter Thermos( covered in camo tape) with coffee in my pack. I also carry my Snow Peak titanium stove and cook set with Folgers coffee bags. I drink the Thermos first and if I'm going to still be out, I fill the Thermos with boiling water and the coffee bag(s) and put it in my pack to brew for later. The stove, fuel(small cylinder), coffee bags and lighter all fit in the pot and lid that sits in the cup. Life is to short to do without the little things. That's why I make my own dehydrated meals. I can't understand why people who forego coffee will still eat that prepackaged junk like Mountain House. The extra weight and bulk alone makes that stuff undesirable.

schmalzy

WKR
Fill some old cope cans with Folgers Columbian. In the morning or when in a hurry pop it in like a dip. Quick easy and light. This typically gets me started. Mid morning break it is the Jetboil and cowboy coffee.

This is how I quit dipping but also works great as mentioned. Some don’t have the stomach for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
The trader Joe's came today. It decent...need two pack for like 6 oz of water to be palatable for me.

Tried a ton of options but Starbucks Via was by far the winner for me for backcountry coffee. You can't beat the weight savings and the flavor is good enough IMO that I don't even add anything to it unless I'm back at base camp. I will pay the premium for Via because it's just worth it to me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I'm trying to go stupid light I just pop NoDoze.

But then you're still not getting to enjoy a nice hot cup of coffee, which is the whole reason why I drink coffee.

And if anyone is interested, I still have a bunch of the VIA packs (Colombian Roast) that I've sold in the past on here. Ya, they "expired" in 2011 but I haven't seen much difference between them and brand new ones. 100/packs for $40......shipping has gotten ridiculous.

Last edited:

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
MSR pour through coffee screen and a med grind dark roast Sumatran. Worth the time to stop and boil water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

schmalzy

WKR
MSR pour through coffee screen and a med grind dark roast Sumatran. Worth the time to stop and boil water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Agreed. I ran a gsi screen and was very pleased with results. Real coffee, and honestly doesn’t take any longer than heating up the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mount Hagen instant coffee packs on Amazon - good, convenient, and much cheaper than the Starbucks version.

So a little different but...
This year I’m going to be taking a coffee flavored protein powder in place of coffee. It has actual cold brew coffee and espresso powder in it and is delicious. I usually put it in milk at home so I’m making little baggy packets with powder milk and protein powder in them. Add to water and shake a bit then walla- a quick, easy, great tasting coffee drink with protein and caffeine.

Attachments

• 9043C08A-E665-43B3-9681-FBCC75AED3FF.jpeg
    9043C08A-E665-43B3-9681-FBCC75AED3FF.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 48

matthewmt

WKR
Just tried black rifle coffee instant this weekend and it's good, I prefer it to starbucks.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Since I don't like to wait for my coffee to cool down, I usually drink it cold with a couple ice cubes. I have a 4 night muley trip in 25 days. Since I'm hunting from the truck. I'm going to try pre-brewing espresso into 8oz mason jars and just have them readily available in the cooler to chug in the morning. Probably bring one in the pack for mid day as well. I don't like waiting for things like that in the morning.

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Not a bad I idea to brew in advance. I'm liking this idea now that you state it for early season. But may want something warm as the season gets cold. Maybe both options for me.