Comfort Sheep Hunting Items

tdot

WKR
Extra food, plus vitamins, supplements and drink powders (energy or recovery mixes). I don't mind fasting or being hungry but not a fan when I'm in the mountains in unfamiliar terrain.

Hot food for every meal and a hot drink before bed. So I have to pack extra fuel. Next trip I'll take 2 small fuel cannisters instead of one medium size one. Heavier, but more versatile.

Dyneema tarp to get out of quick rain showers or spare shelted if I'm away from the tent.

Next time I'll take a better pillow and some down booties and gloves for camp/evenings if forecasts are even approaching freezing.

Inflatable pillow.

“Improved” freeze dried food- tried it last year buying a #10 can of mountain house. It’s cheaper plus I add my own spices, oil, butter or cheese, or maybe bacon bits. It sure makes eating more enjoyable.

electrolytes or salt tabs . I tend to get cramps and need to constantly pre load on them.

compression socks seem to help on long hike days.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Nalgene bottle, extra fuel, and ramen for lunch. nothing beats cooking your soup and putting it in the nagelene bottle then tossing it inside your coat. when its cold as hell that bottle full of soup will warm you up in no time. after a while eat it down. I do this with coffee on the mountain as well. crazy how quick you can warm back up. also do it at night if im without the tipi and stove.

A pound of hard cheese and Finn Crisp crackers (they pack very efficiently) plus 4 or 5 packets of Emergen-C a day.

leoni1

FNG
I got a hilleberg after getting my tent ripped to shreds in 2018. Spent the internet nature hunt wet and trying to fix the failed tent. It was rough, I got home and ordered a hilleberg.

We lost two MH Skyledge tents to high winds in the Alberta Rockies. Been running a Hilleberg ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
We lost two MH Skyledge tents to high winds in the Alberta Rockies. Been running a Hilleberg ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My former tent was a marmot racer x, it was a great tent for several years, it was light, packed small but had pretty good space inside. When I flew out in 2018, it started dumping within a few hours, the 2nd night the seam on the twin fly split and the poles bent in the wind (one cracked). I pretty much used all my repair stuff that ext day, all my tenacious tape, duct tape splinting poles with sticks, I only had one repair sleeve for the pole so my focus was not letting any more poles break.

The next 8 days I broke down camp every single day to keep the tent out of the wind even on days I was hunting from camp, the thing was wet and wouldn’t dry out, it leaked and just wasn’t a nice situation to face every evening.

I pitched it in the dumpster at the Palmer ADFG while I was getting my horns sealed and ordered a hilleberg as soon as I got to the hotel in anchorage.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
-extra food and fuel: I Allie saving weight but I’ve never been into having the exact amount of food and fuel, extra meals are great when you need to get heated up and energized for a long push, also good to have fuel for coffee and boiling water if you need to.

-nice sleeping pad: I like to Be comfortable at night, either an exped or a s2s pad, weight Isn’t a consideration on this one for me.

-a great sleeping bag, I like my western mountaineering badger MF, keep it in a sip
Bag so it stays dry and that thing is awesome to crawl into when I’m smoked.

-lightweight merino top and bottom just for sleeping, I pack them in with my bag and that’s all I use them for, it’s great to get out of your damp shitty stuff and have a nice dry set of things to sleep in.

-emergency insulation, it’s extra weight but I take a kifaru LPP parka and pants stuffed into a bag in the pack, throwing that on over that lightweight sleeping merino stuff when I’m at camp in the evening is great.

-crocs: great for rivers but also for camp shoes or when I’m just glassing.

-obenauf shoelaces: they don’t come untied and I take an extra one just in case I cut one.

-extra belt buckle for the pack, never needed it but shit that would suck if you broke that.

-scotch: I just pour it from the glass bottle into a plastic coke bottle and call it good. It’s great to have a nip after dinner.

-pillows are great but I’m also ok with a stuff sack and clothes, I have a few Klimit pillows that are ok, pack up small work fairly well, I was actually thinking of putting Velcro on them so they would stay in place on my sleeping pad. Western mountaineering makes a nice down pillow as well.

-Nashe was bottle: always. I like to fill it with hot water and throw it in my sleeping bag to help stay warm and dry out wet stuff if I need to. I wouldn’t bring a bunch of them but always one.

-collapsible platypus 2l bags, it’s nice to be able to grab a few extra liters of water when the opportunity presents itself, I hate having to leave camp in the evening and drop elevation to pack water back up.

idig4au

WKR
My creature comforts that go with me on any backpack hunt or trip. I found I’m more comfortable for extended back country trips if I can feel human again after a day or two, and get good rest at night.
  • LW camp shoes to let feet relax at night
  • 2 oz klymit inflatable pillow in a thermarest pillow case
  • extra synthetic short sleeve tshirt (Sitka core) for sleeping in so I don’t have to smell more B.O. then I need to in my sleeping bag
  • travel size baby powder to take away stickiness in sleeping bag at night
  • Small sponge to wipe up condensation in tent and for body hygiene. Works wonders for both and weighs nothing.
  • foam butt pad.

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
For some reason this year on a strenuous lightweight backcountry elk hunt, I craved protein. I just couldn't get enough from the mountain house meals I was eating. Next year I will be bringing peanut-butter packets, dried bone broth packets, etc, and I will pay better attention to the nutritional information of each freeze dried meal. They are not all created equal.

wildbill

Lil-Rokslider
Great info, please keep them coming I’m flying out of atlanta on aug18th will be on mountain the 20th every piece of info helps

ericF

WKR
A kindle loaded with books. Battery will last weeks and I can go through a book in short order. You will also have a variety of reading material depending on what mood you are in. It is also good for the airplane ride into Alaska, or when you are just stuck waiting for something.

huntcoop

WKR
On my last trip, a bad storm hit and I was praying to God my 1 lb tent would hold and I would have gladly carried the extra 5 or more lbs for a real mountain tent. Now that the tent held and everything was fine I don't feel the need. I could be convinced of carrying a heavier tent in the future though so it might make my luxury list.
What tent were you using?

cbeard64

WKR
All mine have been covered. They are:
1)Good sleeping pad;
2)Hilleberg tent;
3)Nalgene bottle;
4)Battery pack/charger;
5)Plenty of wet wipes (must be antibacterial);
6)2 extra pairs of socks; and
7)Large sleeping bag (WM Sequoia).

I never saw the need for an inflatable pillow but that’s just me. A Thermarest pillow sack stuffed with my down jacket is comfy as heck to me.

Wapiti1

WKR
Sitting pad for when you are glassing and to use as a doormat at the tent. I use 1/2 a z-rest pad.

Some sort of back support chair like a sling chair for use with trekking poles, or a prop your pack up on the poles to use as a back rest.

If you use a Hilleberg bring a towel to wipe the inside with. You will likely get rained on from the condensation. They are wet tents and don't vent well. At least the Nallo and Akto I used were.

Jeremy