Do you take a backup rifle on hunts?

Pdzoller

WKR
I live and hunt in Oregon. I don’t trust people to not take a pack of chewing gum out of my pickup let alone a firearm. I also don’t hunt in a way that makes me feel like it would be necessary. My stuff doesn’t get abused and I’m not clumsy. The few valid scenarios I’ve read on here don’t really apply to me either. Worst case scenario would be that I have to take a day to come home and swap.

Some food for thought. My friends and I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. Some things that get a vehicle or camp trailer broken into are obvious stickers for high end outdoor companies, backpacks or anything that looks appealing in locked rigs, canopies, and buttoned up camps. I know it’s horrible but it’s true.

Brother is bringing one for either of us to use. I am space limited in my vehicle. Just noticed last week I have no ammo loaded for my backup(dang kids.....lol), and have not loaded for that rifle on my new setup. Good news is the backup he is bringing is the rifle I shot my last rifle deer with....a long time ago. My first rifle hunt in over ten years this year.

Marble

WKR
He was being sarcastic…lol. But I think bringing a backup scope makes more sense than a rifle.

I have had scopes and scope mounts break twice, both times due to horse stuff. One horse slipped and fell on the scabbard side, the other ran off with a half tied on scabbard that smashed into a tree.
We have had sort of the same thing happen. My dad insisted on placing his scabbard on his saddle with the butt end up and forward of the saddle. He broke the stock on his gun twice when horses hooked them on trees. He does it the normal way now.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Never have and never will. I feel I buy nice stuff and take care of it. I can break down my rifle in the field and clean it if necessary. If it’s beyond what I am capable of then it’s time to go home. Likely have an equal if not greater risk while hunting of getting hurt (falling, etc). I can’t take a duplicate of me in case that happens. Nothing wrong with being prepared. We all play the odds game in certain scenarios, this is the one that I will gladly play.

j_volt

WKR
Yes, unless I am hunting with a partner. I don't worry about leaving an extra rifle in my truck - that is what insurance is for.

Really depends on the hunt. If spiked in and truck left at trailhead or road pull off for days unattended most likely no firearms left in it. If in a basecamp that we have multiple vehicles and are in and out then yes. If limited entry hunt far from home, then yes.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Nope, I have a vortex on my rifle. No need for a backup.
Bet it’s a sweet 2-7 crossfire you picked up on a Black Friday sale for a sweet deal! Be careful though my 2-7 on my 17hmr just crapped the bed… gotta use the vortex’s greatest strength again lol

WCB

WKR
100% whatever weapon I am hunting with I bring a backup. Rifle, Shotgun, MZ, Bow. Even if I'm close to home. Just like having and extra release for my bow ALWAYS.

Only ever had 1 issue with stuff being taken out of my truck an I'm pretty sure I left the door unlocked and the stuff sitting in the open. I can hide a rifle in my truck where in general nobody is going to look because it is a pickup and in no way could some accidently see it even if they were rummaging through my truck.

For guys that say their stuff doesn't get beat up and is well taken care of...cool. Accidents happen like simply knocking your gun over or firing pin breaking. What happens if you get a bullet in bore or like one of my clients did, got a head separation while trying to get a follow up shot on a crippled buck. No way to get the casing out in the field. Luckily we hiked back to the truck and grabbed a spare rifle.

P dog

FNG
Yes. The .243 travels with everywhere i go under the back seat and my main rifle either the 7MM or 300 is in the front. The pistol is in the glove box or on me.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
It depends on whether I'm hunting alone or with friends. If alone, I will likely bring backup gun. If I have friends along, I know there will always be another gun I could use if I had issues with mine.

No. I bring Fix-It Sticks to take apart the rifle/scope/rails etc and if something can't be solved by me then it's a catastrophic issue.

Ucsdryder

WKR
He was being sarcastic…lol. But I think bringing a backup scope makes more sense than a rifle.

I have had scopes and scope mounts break twice, both times due to horse stuff. One horse slipped and fell on the scabbard side, the other ran off with a half tied on scabbard that smashed into a tree.
Actually I wasn’t! But I knew I’d get lots of responses! My LHT has been nails going on 4 years.

Gutshotem

WKR
Depends. If I'm hunting with a partner I usually won't because we have 2 rifles. One of my hunts this fall has me flying from the east coast and I'll be solo. I'll be taking a RAR with me that I have maybe $350 into.

Sandstrom

WKR
I almost always bring a backpack gun (shotgun or rifle). Once I needed to use the shotgun, gun was still working but the recoil pad disappeared.
Ryan

Actually I wasn’t! But I knew I’d get lots of responses! My LHT has been nails going on 4 years.
Haha - thats right, you are the LHT guy :). I don’t believe every rifle needs a nightforce. I have several rifles with Vortex’s on them and they have been good to me.

No i never take a spare weapon. Usually, I'm either hunting with a buddy that I have practiced with their gun or bow or I'm hunting close enough to friends or family so i could borrow a gun in the event something happened to mine. But, if I was driving across the country and i was the only shooter, then I'd probaly have a spare.