Glassing Prone

IAMike304

FNG
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this. Anyone glass laying prone, instead of sitting or standing?

Thoughts? Have a small "bench" type tripod that gets used at the range and would be perfect for it. Other than a potential neck workout, I would think it would work. Also depends on terrain and time of year.

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
Sounds horrible
Have you tried it? Im looking for people who actually have. "sounding horrible" isnt an actual answer.

Ive spent plenty of time laying prone shooting at the range. You get used to it. I just havent tried it in a hunting scenario. I think it would be a lot more comfortable than standing, although I have over a dozen screws in my knees so thats part of the reason.

Rob5589

WKR
Shooting prone is not the same. You are resting your head on the stock, elbows on the surface. Holding your head to the scope and bracing on your elbows for any length of time sounds horrible. Sitting is the way to go for long glassing episodes. Feel free to give it a go and report back.

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
Shooting prone is not the same. You are resting your head on the stock, elbows on the surface. Holding your head to the scope and bracing on your elbows for any length of time sounds horrible. Sitting is the way to go for long glassing episodes. Feel free to give it a go and report back.
I understand it's not the same thing. Not all my time shooting is "shooting". Spend a lot of time behind glass looking at the targets i'm shooting at. I just have not tried in a hunting situation.

I plan to do some this fall to see how it goes. I have mixed feelings on it but honestly, with my knee issues (and some nerve issues), I cannot sit or stand for long amounts of time. Prone is the most comfortable, even for shooting.
I know its not for everyone, but Im sure there are others out there that spend time laying down to glass. Just looking for feedback from people that actually do it.

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve laid on my side and glassed with the tripod positioned just right. It was ok. I usually sit down with my legs stretched out. I wouldn’t want to try prone

ElCapitan

FNG
Doesn't sound like a great idea to me. Terrain has to be just right and with my old body and the amount of time i believe it takes to glass properly off a tripod i know i couldn't do it. Plus i have a beer belly that would get in the way!

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
I glass on hillsides laying on my back with my tripod straddling me. It doesn't always work out so comfortably, but when it does, you might find yourself glassing your eyelids 🤗
I can definitely see that happening!!

Mike,
Glassing prone can be done. Getting comfy in any position is possible. I don’t do it unless I am working my way over an edge and don’t want to be silhouetted. Otherwise I typically build a base sitting using my knees to help stabilize my arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
There is a difference between checking with your binos vs glassing. I have kept eyes on bedded animals ect. while laying on my below trying to stay low and out of sight...or trying to locate an animal I have previously spotted. Anything more than a few minutes is horrible. I agree with what someone said above...shooting or sitting behind a gun is completely different. I have also done that for over an hour waiting for a deer to stand up...had to take rests and put my head down.

There are way better positions in between standing and prone. Laying on your back (terrain dependent), sitting on your butt with or without bipod. I know guys that bring a little ultra light chair and sit on that for long glassing sessions. There are also some butt pads with backs on them that are not bad.

laying prone would literally be my last position to actually pick apart country in.

def90

WKR
I would think laying on your back like you would if you were reading a book in bed would be better than prone, my neck hurts just thinking about it.

T_Nelomz

FNG
In my experience it is very uncomfortable to the point of wasting valuable glassing time. In order to pick out game I need to be comfortable so I can shut out everything else around me. Being uncomfortable is too much of a distraction, you are constantly repositioning and skworming around. Maybe you can find a nice rock to sit behind to prop your tripod up?

OP
I

IAMike304

FNG
In my experience it is very uncomfortable to the point of wasting valuable glassing time. In order to pick out game I need to be comfortable so I can shut out everything else around me. Being uncomfortable is too much of a distraction, you are constantly repositioning and skworming around. Maybe you can find a nice rock to sit behind to prop your tripod up?

Im sure it wouldnt be the optimal position. I ordered a Helinox chair to try out. Main issue with standing or sitting for long periods is my knees with a dozen screws in them.

Im perfectly fine hiking/climbing/moving etc. But sitting in one position for long periods, standing in the same spot for long periods etc just makes things miserable. All good if Im moving though.

T_Nelomz

FNG
Im sure it wouldnt be the optimal position. I ordered a Helinox chair to try out. Main issue with standing or sitting for long periods is my knees with a dozen screws in them.

Im perfectly fine hiking/climbing/moving etc. But sitting in one position for long periods, standing in the same spot for long periods etc just makes things miserable. All good if Im moving though.
I can't even imagine how bad that must get. I have arthritis in my right knee and that hurts bad enough when I sit with my leg bent for even a few minutes. Screws must be way worse.