Guess I’m missing something

Well its a whole lot easier to "social distance" with considerably small populations of people around you. 1918 population of Philly: 20 million. St Louis not even 700,000. Stupid example. I get the idea but just feeding into the media and their agenda.
The shape of the curve is what’s important. And today our hospitals operate much closer to the red line in terms of available beds and resources so we don’t have much room to spare.

I don’t think there is an agenda this time. Plus, trump is going to come out of this smelling like a rose when we get ahead of this.

Are you really advocating against social distancing? I get the reflex reaction against anything the media spews out. This is not partisan it’s common sense and epidemiology.

Fitzwho

WKR
Some 19 year old stabbed a two adults and two children at Sam’s Club last night just down the street from my house. Fighting over the last package of chicken. It’s embarrassing how people are acting.

Fitzwho

WKR
Also. I see everybody posting about it only having a 3% fatality rate and that it’s not that big of a deal... so it would be no big deal if say, 10% of the country (USA) contracted COVID-19, and ONLY 1 million people died?

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Is the pic comparing coronavirus to h1n1 supposed to make us think Corona is not that bad? Who cares who’s president at the time, it’s just math...38 dead out of 1329 is 2.8% and 12469 dead out of 60 million is .02%. So yeah, I’d be a little more worried about something that kills 3 people out of 100 than 2 people out of 10 thousand (please check my math but I think it’s right). I agree the panic is unnecessary but closures, limiting large gatherings, and keeping international flights out should help. If I have it, I my not even show symptoms, but I’m not going to go visit mom and dad for a while because I could be the one to give it to them. Inconvenience for a lot of people is what this should be at most, but as another poster said before people love drama.

If anyone wants a deeper dive into the math and reasons we need social distancing this is a long but good read.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

TLDR death rates of 1% are only if virus is well contained. We probably missed the boat already. Death rates of 4-5% are what happens when a system is overloaded. Based on how many confirmed cases and deaths we have...the virus is likely very widespread within our communities already.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Also. I see everybody posting about it only having a 3% fatality rate and that it’s not that big of a deal... so it would be no big deal if say, 10% of the country (USA) contracted COVID-19, and ONLY 1 million people died?

That's 20k people per state. Last year our city had an influx of almost 80k new people that moved here......one city.......just last year. Would the 20k across each state even be noticeable? Nature has always had a way to keep populations in check for every species. Why should humans be any different? There's emotional thinking on this type of thing, and then there's logical thinking on this type of thing. Ya, I know.........."you have no heart". No, it's just very easy for me to separate the two, and the logical side is not emotional, and the emotional side is not logical.

Trial153

WKR
Little bit of this going on....

Embodied Cognition
MISCONCEPTION: Your opinions of people and events are based on objective evaluation.
TRUTH: You translate your physical world into words, and then believe those words.

Rob5589

WKR
People are going nuts about contracting corona, yet are out in large crowds of unknown individuals, over and over, in an attempt to prepare in case they are quarantined, for corona. Irony....

Here in California, there have been positive individuals that are supposed to be self quarantined in home, and are not doing so. To the point where they were tracked down by law enforcement and forced back home. Keep that in mind when out in crowds. Good luck, and keep your tp rolled tight...

T28w

WKR
Well its a whole lot easier to "social distance" with considerably small populations of people around you. 1918 population of Philly: 2 million. St Louis not even 700,000. Stupid example. I get the idea but just feeding into the media and their agenda.
So u are saying it’s ineffective or unnecessary?

it Looks like I may be stuck with a bunch of Girl Scout cookies. The Girl Scouts closed site sales due to this “CRISIS “ and my daughter was scheduled for 6 sites and had stocked up on cookies. I may be needing some toilet paper later 😁😁😁

Billinsd

WKR
I think people are trying to say tens of thousands die from the flu, colds and driving and people don't freak out. No one knows for sure how this will play out here. Looks like it is worse, deadlier, more contagious, than flu, but that's not certain. It's best to be cautious, even abundantly cautious. What's bad is most people don't think and they copy what others are doing. We went to costco and people are buying a lot of bottled water. My knee jerk reaction was, maybe I should buy some? My wife asked if we should buy water? I said no, we drink out of the tap, tap water will be fine. We do have Gatorade for when we get sick. I think things will be this way for another 3 months. People freaking out and hoarders are the big problem. If people are so worried about the virus death toll, think of the famine and war in Africa, and starvation in Latin America. That's what I do to put things into perspective.

Billinsd

WKR
it Looks like I may be stuck with a bunch of Girl Scout cookies. The Girl Scouts closed site sales due to this “CRISIS “ and my daughter was scheduled for 6 sites and had stocked up on cookies. I may be needing some toilet paper later 😁😁😁
Look up some good recipes for girl scout cookies. We bought about $200 worth for my daughter and we are giving a bunch away. We were giving them away before the virus hit. We were selling at grocery stores, that's the only way we sell. I got tired of bugging, friends, family, and coworkers to buy cookies. My son is in Boy Scouts and we pay $100 not to have to sell popcorn.

Billinsd

WKR
Chatted with a friend of mine in spokane who could not find TP in 4 different stores. Out here, 3000 miles away, I drove past a truck with its tailgate down...what did I see? Nothing but Dr Pepper and ....TP...
Cut paper towel rolls in half. I've been called a prepper, because I hate running out of things, and prefer to buy things on sale. My kids were going through TP like crazy, before. Just wasting so much. My wife and Iaid down the law. Also we are using a cloth towel to dry our hands at the kitchen sink.

Billinsd

WKR
The shape of the curve is what’s important. And today our hospitals operate much closer to the red line in terms of available beds and resources so we don’t have much room to spare.

I don’t think there is an agenda this time. Plus, trump is going to come out of this smelling like a rose when we get ahead of this.

Are you really advocating against social distancing? I get the reflex reaction against anything the media spews out. This is not partisan it’s common sense and epidemiology.
Aren't we trying to flatten out the infection curve, so that hospitals won't get overrun, is what you are saying?

Billinsd

WKR
Some 19 year old stabbed a two adults and two children at Sam’s Club last night just down the street from my house. Fighting over the last package of chicken. It’s embarrassing how people are acting.
This frightens me much more than the virus as it should us all.