hearing protection with a brake? unique situation

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
Most guns won’t shoot the same with the brake or the thread protector. You’d want to sight in each way.

Thus my comment of shooting again to fine tune after installing the thread protector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Thus my comment of shooting again to fine tune after installing the thread protector.

Then your good. Depends on what rifle though. Take an 8 pound braked 300WM and expect to shoot it as well without a brake..... it will be a whole new rifle.

Id personally rather practice with exactly what I’ll hunt with.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
I try to keep a few pairs of these laying around. Only takes a second to throw them down throw them in if you are looking for a cheap option that’s light. I use them bird hunting which gives me a second if the dog goes on point to help. They are no muff though. If you want to save your hearing spend the money and get a good pair of muffs. These are just a backup if you forget them.

View attachment 211424
I wear these around my neck while hunting and ready for use. Have a 300 WSM with a brake, and it is crazy loud.

brsnow

WKR
A non-braked rifle damages your ears as well. Worth passing up a shot if you don’t have time to put ear protection on. The quality electronic are expensive .

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I had a bull jump up last year at close range and fed him a braked 300rum. If I'd have known what it was going to do to me, he'd have walked.
What happend to you? Please share more details.

Brendan

WKR
I suggest looking at the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X muffs. In my opinion a great product. I tried several other in - ear and over - ear products which offered protection but made determining sound directionality impossible. I‘m able to determine sound direction with these. With the gel pads they are comfortable to wear. Feel free to PM with any questions.

NRR with these are only 18DB. Better than nothing, but not adequate for a braked rifle IMO.

I do have a set of custom electronic inserts (Soundgear) but may end up using the disposables a couple people above have mentioned.

sram9102

WKR
You could buy a suppressor for the cost of a pair of high end custom ear pro...

NRR with these are only 18DB. Better than nothing, but not adequate for a braked rifle IMO.

I do have a set of custom electronic inserts (Soundgear) but may end up using the disposables a couple people above have mentioned.

I use the neck band model of these and typically put some plugs in if I'm going to be shooting bigger guns or be next to others with braked rifles.

I’m pretty sure I will be taking my walker razors on my deer and pronghorn hunts this year. I’m mentoring a new hunter and don’t want to chance them touching one off before I’m ready to go. I’ve been wearing them for coyote and upland hunting for a few years and I’ve gotten quite used to them.

For my late season elk hunt when I’ll be solo I’m going to use a banded set of silicone plugs. It’s going to be a boring hunt and I want my ears tucked up under my beanie.

I used the non Bluetooth Walkers Silencer R600 Rechargeable ear buds last year and found them to be pretty decent for what they are. They hold a charge all day, and recharge in their case at night, ready for the next day. The case can be recharged and then recharge the buds 4x before it needs recharging. They worked great shooting my braked Kimber 280 Ackley.

Prior to hunting with them I used them a bunch of times at the range to get used to them and see what settings I liked. They normally sell for about $200 or so, but caught them on sale for $99 and bought two pairs.

What I liked best about them is they can be worn all the time, either when sitting or moving around, so you’re never without ear protection if you need to take a quick shot. They are also way less cumbersome than muffs and don’t get in the way of rifle stocks when shooting. Not sure how well the Bluetooth ones work, and I have read some complaints about connectivity issues with those, so I went with the non-Bluetooth model. I’ll definitely be using them again this year.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I wear the plastic neck band style ear protection. don't even feel its there, and when I'm ready to take the shot I just quickly place them into my ears.

I would much rather prefer my electronic Peltors, however in a back pack hunting environment where all ounces are counted, they just stay at home for range use.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I keep a set of Otis Ear Shields around my neck walking in the bush hunting. They can be worn when hunting and you can hear sounds around you, hunting partners, etc. They also are non-electronic so no need to worry about batteries or bulk. They weigh 2 ounces. I keep them in my bino pouch otherwise for quick access.

Simple foam neck style mentioned also work, but they block a lot of sound if you are walking with them. The Otis Ear Shields are more comfortable to me and despite not thinking they'd be effective (they are based on a technology that directs loud sounds away from your ear canals), I actually think they often work better than muffs when at the range.

I recommend getting the 31db version as there is negligible size difference vs. the lower rated version.

A fair review here:

Always wear hearing protection especially with muzzle brakes. They personally hurt my ears even when wearing both foam inserts and muffs (active or passive).

Bit dated but great insight: