Homeschooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
There's a lot of bullshit in this thread, but I'll give my family's experience in case anyone is still interested in hearing actual experiences. My wife and I both grew up in private schools, and for multiple reasons our kids will not be following that path. I was very resistant to the idea of home schooling, but our oldest was going into kindergarten when schools were shut down due to covid. We didn't think starting school with an unproven system (online, socially distanced, etc.) would be ideal. Obviously, home schooling for us would be unproven as well, but my wife has a degree in human development specializing in early childhood education, and she would be able to tailor the classroom to our daughter's needs. It has gone really well, and we're sticking with it. We now have two kids going doing it. They have dramatically different strengths and weaknesses, but those can be addressed individually.

Somebody mentioned judgment from others. This is real, and having that conversation multiple times with overstepping family members is annoying, but it has been worth it.

Also mentioned earlier, it can be a black hole for time management if you aren't pretty structured. My wife is self employed, and has chosen to cut back her workload significantly to make sure that she can commit as much time to the kids as they need. Luckily, she can do most of her work on weekends and during the evening.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Isolating kids from their peers and other adults does not promote socialization. Most are pretty socially awkward compared to kids who go to school and interact with their peers and teachers.
This is just an ignorant statement. We know a lot of families all across the country that home school, and none of them "isolate" their kids from their peers and other adults. Lots of misconceptions out there about home-schooling from those that have never done it.

But we've also seen what the average population of students looks like in public school these days (even in the so-called "best" districts and schools). Separating and isolating from "them" wouldn't be such a bad idea regardless whether you're home-schooling or not.

This is just an ignorant statement. We know a lot of families all across the country that home school, and none of them "isolate" their kids from their peers and other adults. Lots of misconceptions out there about home-schooling from those that have never done it.

But we've also seen what the average population of students looks like in public school these days (even in the so-called "best" districts and schools). Separating and isolating from "them" wouldn't be such a bad idea regardless whether you're home-schooling or not.
Is it really an ignorant statement? I have interacted with countless home schooled kids through church and youth sports and every single one of them is at least a little socially awkward, more often than not a lot socially awkward. I get wanting to shelter kids from all the crap in the world, but eventually they are going to have to deal with it.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
Is it really an ignorant statement? I have interacted with countless home schooled kids through church and youth sports and every single one of them is at least a little socially awkward, more often than not a lot socially awkward. I get wanting to shelter kids from all the crap in the world, but eventually they are going to have to deal with it.
That's not really a provable statement though. Of the children you knew were homeschooled, all of them were awkward. You could have interacted with lots of socially "normal" kids that you didn't know were homeschooled. We know lots of kids with all different schooling - home, private, public - and social skills don't correlate strongly to type of schooling. At least up to age 13ish. I don't know enough kids older than that to really have an observation.

Who, specifically, do you mean by “them”?

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what data? Your own personal observations?
Yeah just personal observation. I could have been a bit more clear on that. I was really concerned about my kids' social skills suffering due to home schooling, so I think I'm reasonably tuned in to the possibility of issues.

I think the bigger risk is raising kids in a bubble such that anything new or different is met with resistance or fear rather than reason. A lot of parents would be perfectly happy having their children hold all the same ideals or beliefs as the parents without coming to those ideals on their own, but that is true both inside and outside the homeschool world.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Is it really an ignorant statement?
From my experience and what I've seen......yes. It's all about what you make of the experience and life regardless where they're schooled. I've seen a ton of socially awkward public-schooled kids over the years. On the other hand, I've seen a bunch of socially awkward adults over my lifetime. So I really don't think we can force them all through the same hole as an absolute.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of parents would be perfectly happy having their children hold all the same ideals or beliefs as the parents without coming to those ideals on their own, but that is true both inside and outside the homeschool world.

Yep, it's not just the homeschool movement, but the homeschool culture very much leant itself to just this. Thus, all the backlash we've been seeing amongst 1st generation homeschooled kids that are now in their 30's and 40's now.

Yeah just personal observation. I could have been a bit more clear on that. I was really concerned about my kids' social skills suffering due to home schooling, so I think I'm reasonably tuned in to the possibility of issues.

I think the bigger risk is raising kids in a bubble such that anything new or different is met with resistance or fear rather than reason. A lot of parents would be perfectly happy having their children hold all the same ideals or beliefs as the parents without coming to those ideals on their own, but that is true both inside and outside the homeschool world.
The risk is raising weak kids. Ever heard the saying “Hard times created strong men, strong men create easy times, easy times create weak men, weak men create hard times”?

I am of the opinion that you have to let your kids do hard things, including school. We are very religious and I worry all the time about the influences this world has on my kids. I would rather have them go out and face them head on while they still live under my roof and I can help them navigate it instead of after the move out and are on their own. Instead of the parents controling every narrative it forces you to have healthy communication with your kids and a good relationship.

I just can’t help but feel like parents are raising weak kids, and sheltering them with home school instead of being more vocal with your concerns about your local public schools isn’t the answer. I think the parents who choose to homeschool rather than fight to make a change are weak too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

From my experience and what I've seen......yes. It's all about what you make of the experience and life regardless where they're schooled. I've seen a ton of socially awkward public-schooled kids over the years. On the other hand, I've seen a bunch of socially awkward adults over my lifetime. So I really don't think we can force them all through the same hole as an absolute.
Sheltering creates weak kids and even weaker adults. Let them do hard things. Instead of pulling them from a system with ideals you don’t agree with go change the system. This mentality is why kids are being taught liberal non sense by a loud minority - parents are weak and are not willing to fight for the morals and principles they believe their kids should have. Instead, they pull them out of the system and raise socially awkward, weak kids, which is a reflection of their parents.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sheltering creates weak kids and even weaker adults.
Then don't shelter them. That's a choice. Where they're schooled doesn't define whether they are sheltered or not sheltered. A good work ethic, hard work, and a solid foundation creates strong kids and adults. My kids have that and have no problems dealing with whatever and whoever is thrown at them. My oldest daughter is very independent. She chose to go to Chile for 9 weeks one summer solo when she was 19. She's been to Japan, China, and Sri Lanka as well. She is definitely not socially awkward at all, and neither are my other two.

But I do agree with fighting for what's right.......after all, all of us property owners are paying for these schools even if you don't have kids. All of us have a say in how they are run.

Drenalin

WKR
Sheltering creates weak kids and even weaker adults. Let them do hard things. Instead of pulling them from a system with ideals you don’t agree with go change the system. This mentality is why kids are being taught liberal non sense by a loud minority - parents are weak and are not willing to fight for the morals and principles they believe their kids should have. Instead, they pull them out of the system and raise socially awkward, weak kids, which is a reflection of their parents.
If a parent started working for change the day their child entered public school, is it reasonable to expect that said change would occur quickly enough to make a difference in that child's life? I highly doubt it, or at the very least expect that by the time the system was "fixed" there would be a lot of "fixing" to do with the child by that time too.

I agree with your concern about socialization, and about letting kids do hard things 100%. I've said the same thing over and over. When my daughter was ready to start school, there was no way I was putting her in public school though, and we're in a very conservative part of the country. My reasoning is, while kids need to do hard things in their lives, they are much more easily influenced at a young age. As an example, my daughter thought the world of both her preschool and kindergarten teachers - those folks are going to make an imprint on young children, for better or worse. Until my kids are old enough to make well reasoned and informed decisions, I'm going to do what I can to protect them.

So my options were homeschool or private (Christian) school. I chose the latter because I had concerns about socialization, and because I didn't think homeschool was necessarily right for our family. I wouldn't change that decision, but I've had opportunity since then to interact with somewhere around a dozen kids who are homeschooled, from ages 5 to 15. About half are socially awkward, the other half are very well adjusted (and in fact are very strong, driven, focused individuals with real leadership potential). Whether or not they are homeschooled doesn't appear to me, anecdotally, to be the deciding factor - the awkward kids have awkward families and spend their free time in front of a screen. The others do their school work, interact in their communities, and are challenged - not protected - by their parents.

Anyway, I get what you're saying, but homeschooling isn't a problem. It's just the most expediate remedy to the actual problem for a lot of parents.

Ha, never thought I’d see that fascistic “hard times/strong men” cliché being used as an argument for keeping kids in public school. 😄

amassi

WKR
Could you imagine being such a weak adult that you couldn't un indoctrinate a child who comes home spouting some nonsense? My kids and their friends do it all the time and we correct them- it's called parenting.
Bonus points if you can argue both sides and teach them that most things aren't absolute.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
The risk is raising weak kids. Ever heard the saying “Hard times created strong men, strong men create easy times, easy times create weak men, weak men create hard times”?

I am of the opinion that you have to let your kids do hard things, including school. We are very religious and I worry all the time about the influences this world has on my kids. I would rather have them go out and face them head on while they still live under my roof and I can help them navigate it instead of after the move out and are on their own. Instead of the parents controling every narrative it forces you to have healthy communication with your kids and a good relationship.

I just can’t help but feel like parents are raising weak kids, and sheltering them with home school instead of being more vocal with your concerns about your local public schools isn’t the answer. I think the parents who choose to homeschool rather than fight to make a change are weak too. 🤷🏻‍♂️
We probably agree on more than you realize, but you are completely flying blind thinking I'm raising weak kids. I have zero interest in raising kids who live in a bubble, and I expect them to be hard workers and people who care for those around them.

"This mentality is why kids are being taught liberal non sense by a loud minority - parents are weak and are not willing to fight for the morals and principles they believe their kids should have. Instead, they pull them out of the system and raise socially awkward, weak kids, which is a reflection of their parents."

Public schooling is free and the socially accepted norm.
Public and most private schooling is optimized for handling classrooms of 20+ rather than an individualized system that can realize the most intellectual growth in children.
Parents have worked together to create curricula, co-ops, and other resources, and then taken on the task of educating their children themselves, often at significant financial cost.

And you think that makes the parents weak?

Bbell12

WKR
Could you imagine being such a weak adult that you couldn't un indoctrinate a child who comes home spouting some nonsense? My kids and their friends do it all the time and we correct them- it's called parenting.
Bonus points if you can argue both sides and teach them that most things aren't absolute.

Historical voter data proves otherwise. There is a reason that the left uses public education as a vehicle for indoctrination, it’s because it works. And in some cases, it works despite good parenting. Has nothing to do with being a “weak adult”.

amassi

WKR
Historical voter data proves otherwise. There is a reason that the left uses public education as a vehicle for indoctrination, it’s because it works. And in some cases, it works despite good parenting. Has nothing to do with being a “weak adult”.
If you still think only one political class indoctrinates youth you are gravely mistaken.
If your children believe the state over their parents then yes, you are a weak adult and lack parenting skills.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Based on what data? Your own personal observations?
This is hilarious. You specifically state your opinion is based off your own observations in post 103, then attack someone else for not having data in post 105.

Talk about double standards and a complete lack of insight. I guess I should thank you for such a clear demonstration of none objectivity and pushing an agenda.

Post 103.

Status
Not open for further replies.