How many bullets do you carry?

coiloil37

Lil-Rokslider
I carry four in the rifle and four in my bino harness. Then I usually have another eight in the truck. I had no idea guys packed around 20-50 rounds on them while they’re hunting... WTF.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I carry four in the rifle and four in my bino harness. Then I usually have another eight in the truck. I had no idea guys packed around 20-50 rounds on them while they’re hunting... WTF.
For real. Anything more than 2 full mags in the field or packed in is insane to me.

Wapiti1

WKR
10 extra plus what is in the rifle. That might be anything from 1 to 4 depending on which rifle I take.

Now, I have had days where I got stupid close to running out. Hunt enough and shit will happen.

Jeremy

nksmfamjp

FNG
BDL Rifle

50 in my case for the whole season including sight in.

when I’m afoot….5 in my rifle, 10 extras….looking to get a plus 2.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Backpack hunt, full gun+6. Always have a full box in the truck. If I thought my scope was off, I would hike back to the truck and get it sorted out. Not going to start blasting away in my hunting area.

Button

WKR
Depends.
Turkey hunting I have 2 or 3 shells in gun. And have a couple slugs/buck shot on the gun stock shell loop thing. Just about every year after turkey hunting we end up stalking or encountering some hogs.
Deer or pig hunting I’ll have a magazine full(10) in the AR10. If using bolt guns I’ll have 4 in magazine plus a few extras in pocket.

sargent

WKR
On backpack hunts, 4 in the gun, 4 in the bino harness, 4 in the pack. Closer to the truck, just 4 in the gun and 4 in the harness.

Jimss

WKR
Some may think I’m a fool but I only have one shell in my rifle because I am that confident in my rifle and shot that there is almost no chance I will miss or wound an animal. I would say that 95% of my harvested game have only taken 1 shot. I only shoot prone or off a solid rest.

No long range shooting for me! Almost every shot I have ever taken on big game is 250 or less yards with animal standing broadside and I’ve harvested a lot of game over the years!

The other nice thing about only 1 shell in rifle is there is less chance for a 2nd round getting lodged in the rifle when reloading. I have extra single shells in quick snd easy spots to reload if needed

With that said I carry around 10 shells with me just in case something weird happens like scope being bumped.

On long trips I usually bring 11/2 boxes of shells. Mostly in case my rifle needs to be sited in again if bumped in transit or while hunting. With shells as tough as they are to find in stores it’s wise to have too many vs too few!

JakeSCH

WKR

Haha it is all good. I am glad i was able to tag one the last day...makes it a less harsh learning lesson.

For everyone else, 6 "is plenty" until you realize your didn't turn your turret back to zero stop and miss a giant 6 times as he slowly walks to you over a 10 minute window because you were shooting 20 MOA high...

mcr-85

WKR
Haha it is all good. I am glad i was able to tag one the last day...makes it a less harsh learning lesson.

For everyone else, 6 "is plenty" until you realize your didn't turn your turret back to zero stop and miss a giant 6 times as he slowly walks to you over a 10 minute window because you were shooting 20 MOA high...
Ouch!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe a more relevant question is how many shells have you actually NEEDED on a hunt? ( I carry one extra mag).

The most I have needed was 5 due to poor shooting.