How Much PTO Do You Have?

Accrue 80 hours currently, can carry 40 over. Next year I’ll be up to 120/year. On the bright side I only work ~8.5 months/year.

Reactions: 9.1

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
It’s fascinating how much PTO y’all have, I have 10 days. Nothing else paid. Maxes out at 15 days after 10 years. Beyond jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I was a game warden we had very limited overtime money, so we'd earn a lot of comp time- sadly wasn't much of an option to take it off during hunting season :D

I never burned a single hour of sick leave my entire 24 year career, if I needed days- I'd use comp time.

When I retired I had almost 3000 hours of sick leave on the books, Montana would cash in a quarter of your sick leave, so made for a nice little retirement bonus :)

I will max out at 5 weeks next year once I hit ten years with my company. We are allowed to roll over 2 weeks. It has changed over the years, but we have no sick days etc. PTO is used for anything.

ejsto

FNG
I get 4 weeks total. 3 weeks chosen at the end of the prior year and one week's worth of "personal days", basically PTO

Marble

WKR
Over 20 years at my job. I get 10 weeks a year, I do have a cap but with the overall work force down about 15-20% no one can use all their time. I have comp banks from OT I've worked, plus other banks of time I received instead of compensation. In total I am unsure how much time I have.

If I can, I'll take each September off until I retire in 5ish years.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
So what happens if you burn those 3 or 4 days before the shutdown?
They are pretty quick to keep track of your days as you take them and let you know that you have used up all of your paid days off. So you'd be forced to take the Christmas shutdown unpaid.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
I get that some jobs just give more time off but wow! What is everyone doing that gives so much?
Software/hardware/EDA. Fun fact: My company pretty much has every big semiconductor manufacturer in the world as a client. The chip supply isn’t supposed to return to somewhat normal levels until 2024/25 now.

I "earn" 160 hours a year, and I can carry over 120

My company will only pay out 40 hours of leave when you quit. Their philosophy is that you should be using your leave so you can achieve work/life balance. I think I'm sitting on 70 hours right now. I burned 50 hours last year when i had a COVID vacation.

Have 4 weeks (160 hours) a year. Can carry over 1 week (40 hours). Start with 8 days (64 hours) sick leave, but can accrue up to 30 days (240 hours) which is a good thing for me since I've burned 206 hours this year between COVID and cancer treatments. I've got 4 vacation days I've got to use prior to my hire anniversary or lose them.

MTtrout

WKR
I work for the state and mine is pretty good. All of my benefits are good, we just take it in the shorts on pay.
Good to hear not all UT state divisions are the same. When I worked for the DNR we got 4 hours every two weeks, 2.6 weeks a year. Luckily I was in a position with lots of comp time and a supervisor that allowed some flex scheduling so time off was never an issue.

I totally agree with taking it in the shorts with pay. I’ve hired a lot of folks for field tech positions and hate telling them what the pay is. Guessing a lot are in debt or have family support-tough to make a living with those wages.

CorbLand

WKR
Good to hear not all UT state divisions are the same. When I worked for the DNR we got 4 hours every two weeks, 2.6 weeks a year. Luckily I was in a position with lots of comp time and a supervisor that allowed some flex scheduling so time off was never an issue.

I totally agree with taking it in the shorts with pay. I’ve hired a lot of folks for field tech positions and hate telling them what the pay is. Guessing a lot are in debt or have family support-tough to make a living with those wages.
Our benefits should have been similar. If you were able to log comp, you were non exempt. Once you get to an exempt position, that is when the good ones really kick in as far as PTO. Jumping from non exempt to exempt basically doubled the amount of PTO I got.

RN here. I get around 16 days a year, but I only have 3 work days a week- so it works out to having about 5 weeks off. If I pick up shifts I also accrue PTO for those hours as well. I very seldom use my PTO aside from big trips, as I can schedule myself to have 8 days off in a row every other week if I want. My PTO does include sick time though.

hunting1

WKR
I get 3-weeks paid, 5-sick, and can take off un paid when I want or it was negotiated this way since they could not give me more paid off they bumped my salary to make up for a week off un paid. This employer gives almost all Federal holidays off which is nice. I have not had these since I was in the service.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Will have to use 5 weeks and a day by the end of the year.
Can only carry over 240 hrs.

schlumpyj

FNG
20 days vacation, 12 holidays, unlimited sick at a F500. Really thought I had it good until I read this thread.