I need a smaller pack that can also carry meat Exo 3500 is too bulky for Day hunts

I think you want a unicorn. To be able to haul heavy loads you need the pack stays to extend above the shoulder straps for your load lifters to work properly. Otherwise you will be hauling all the weight on your shoulders. You can find packs that are lower on top but will be sh*t under heavy loads. All of the better load hauling packs are going to extend above your shoulders.

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the K2 5500 for everything. It compresses down to basically whatever size needed. I use it for elk and then for whitetails. Saddle and sticks ride super comfortable in the Appalachian mountains. I usually pack my animals out bc of how far I am from truck. I hunt primary big axx public mountains just because I don’t have to deal with people and property lines. I even use it turkey hunting on all day hunts bc it carries so comfortable. I have zero experience with any other packs so take it for what it is. I have had the lid hit my head but a little adjustment good to go. I personally would rather have too much bag than not enough.

Point is ... it has to be comfortable. Whether it’s on my back 10 minutes or 10 days. Empty or 100 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
My main pack is a much loved SG 5900, but for day hunts with the ability to pack meat I picked the MR sawtooth, so far I'm liking it, last year I packed out a couple mule deer, but no elk yet.

OP
E

excaliber

WKR
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I think I'm going to look at the Popup 38. I already have a full frame pack in the EXO 3500 for now.
The Popup 38 looks like it's exactly what I need to cover most of my early to mid season hunts. I'm not sure if it has the size capability for all my cold weather clothes for late hunts but I'll see how much gear I can stuff into it.

In my way of thinking I hike/hunt way more than I actually carry meat. I think the Popup 38 will be allot more comfortable and much smaller height wise.
I'll see if we have any retailers around here to go try one on.
Thanks everyone.

Felix40

WKR
This is how I strap my rifle to my pop up 28. I made a super simple bottom strap out of webbing. It will hold a puffy jacket, puffy pants, mittens, and snacks so the size is perfect for me. It carries 70 pounds pretty well in the loaf shelf. The mystery ranch belt leaves room for improvement but its worth what I paid.

08D7E568-1F69-4F0E-8693-93C36C053B41.jpeg

Sell33

Lil-Rokslider
I recently picked up a MR Pop Up 28 for use as a day pack with option to haul meat occasionally. I haven’t hunted with it yet, but I have loaded it up around 35# to try rucking and it is extremely comfortable. I have no doubt it will be a great day pack, it’s plenty big for that role for me.

87TT

WKR
I don't under stand the problem. You can adjust the 3500 so the "lid" is down on the middle of your back and no where near your head' I use mine for everything. I wear it loaded with my hunting gear (around 25#) when I walk the dog, practice shooting my bow etc.
IMG_3676 Arrow Flying crp LR (1 of 1) - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I don't under stand the problem. You can adjust the 3500 so the "lid" is down on the middle of your back and no where near your head' I use mine for everything. I where it loaded with my hunting gear (around 25#) when I walk the dog, practice shooting my bow etc.
View attachment 182757
The “wanna new pack” itch is a real thing, sometimes I just want to try something different and make sure I’m not missing out on something.
I tend to never be satisfied with any full size pack, but at some point I will have used them all and will know what I like and don’t.

the more packs I have hunted in, the more I realize I miss my EXO. I have a hard time liking a pack knowing there are other high end packs I haven’t tried.

sometimes reasoning doesn’t scratch the itch

OP
E

excaliber

WKR
It's my problem not yours. I don't like the height of the pack for day pack use. A lid is a lid not a back pocket. The good thing is there are plenty of Pack options out there for the way other people hunt.
I don't have to compromise with this pack and that's why I want something else for day hunts with the ability to haul lighter loads. The EXO IMHO is better suited for longer trips and carrying more gear for colder hunts.

I want a pack that's better suited for early-mid season day hunts where I don't need to carry all my extra clothes. This pack to me is not that pack.

I don't under stand the problem. You can adjust the 3500 so the "lid" is down on the middle of your back and no where near your head' I use mine for everything. I wear it loaded with my hunting gear (around 25#) when I walk the dog, practice shooting my bow etc.
View attachment 182757

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
you could also check out the kifaru minikeg. I don't know if you are a meat on a shelf or meat in the pack kind of person but the minikeg doesn't have a meat shelf so if that is something you are wanting then you don't need to even look at this pack. It just came out so doesn't have much user info yet.

bwidrick

Lil-Rokslider
I've been running the Kuiu Pro 1850 bag on the carbon frame this year for Whitetail hunting. Packed a deer out on it last weekend with extra clothes in the bag, climbing sticks strapped to one side of the bag and gun on the other side. Hiking sticks in hand. Been working out real well.