Idaho NR Tag Allocations

87TT

WKR
For deer, they can't say and don't know as it has been a statewide tag. For elk, they just concern themselves with total numbers and will limit it to the percent of the total averaged over the last five years.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For deer the hunter reports will have factored in, they've got the numbers in house I'm sure. Even then it'll go off total hunter numbers and not just NR reports

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
I guess what I am trying to do is find out how many less total hunters this is going to equal in units I hunt. I can see how many total hunters there have been in the past but I don't know how many of those were NR's, which are the ones that are being cut.
Will it even lower the total number? The cap is only for non res. So that means more tags available for residents. Could be less but could be the same, just a different ratio of non res to res.

Gobbler36

WKR
This is definitely not getting enough coverage. I think this is just another way to cater to guides and outfitters, and will work to the detriment of residents by dramatically decreasing revenues. There are only a few select units where there is a problem. Why not just address those? Again, there is more at play here, and this is not really for the benefit of Idaho residents. You can comment up until tomorrow at 7 pm, via email to [email protected]. Please poach my comment, pasted below, and flood them with the fact that we know the special interest they truly serve:

If you adopt the proposed rule for creating caps on non resident deer tags, you will not even need the caps. That is because so few people will be willing to buy a non resident tag when they are limited to hunting only a single unit. IDFG will end up losing significant revenue that is needed for conservation.

If there are particularly popular units, it would make sense to just have those units be controlled hunt only for non resident. Non residents that hunt the more popular units go to those units because of the reputations the units have. If they don't draw a tag for that popular unit, it is not likely that they will increase pressure on some other unit, because other units don't have the reputation to draw non resident hunters. Therefore, putting caps on every unit, and limiting non resident tags to a single unit, is not necessary to address the overcrowding that occurs in only a few select, popular units. It is highly overreactionary, and will result in a significant decrease in revenue for the department.

Even elk tags cover multiple units. I would guess that the majority of non resident deer tag purchasers do so as a compliment to their elk tag. I am certain they will be less likely to purchase that deer tag if they can't even use it as they move about their elk zone.

Again, this is a blatant overreaction that goes far beyond actually addressing the specific problem areas. It therefore seems apparent that it is designed to cater to a particular special interest. Perhaps that of guides and outfitters, who will end up with no reduction in out of state clientele under these rules, but will now be granted a dramatic increase in demand for their services; a service they can now claim is all the more of an exclusive hunt. You might as well fence off all of the outfitter license areas and just grant ownership of the game in each area over to the outfitter, rather than the people. And again, it is the people of Idaho, not just non residents, who are being defrauded here. Again, this will result in a significant loss of revenue, and therefore poorer management of game, to the detriment of Idaho residents.

Finally, although it is a small subset of non residents, at the very least lifetime license holders should be exempt from these quotas, and instead be able to still purchase statewide deer tags. Lifetime license holders have always been exempt from all previous nonresident tag quotas. This is yet another, critical incentive that encourages the purchase of lifetime licenses. Perhaps continuing this incentive under the new deer tag regimen would encourage even more people to be sure and purchase their lifetime license, thereby offsetting some of the revenue loss.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Haha yeah right
If your butthurt go somewhere else

KurtR

WKR
Thank god
It’s been about time that IDFG has tried to help with all the out of staters
I agree that caps will help with management but the numbers of non residents have not changed in years. So isn’t 12815 still 12815 for elk tags.Same amount of out of staters they will just be spread out more. And believe me I understand we see more out of staters the first week of pheasant season than you guys do all year.

I’ve hunted ID for 3 of last 4 seasons. I’m not opposed to the quota allocations. It seems like the natural evolution of this is going to a draw system for NR tags. I personally think any sort of first come first serve system for a tight quotas is BS. It works when you have “enough” to go around but when you have some some zones with very few tags, there can be problems. Plus, they could charge everybody $20 to get in the NR draws. If you get drawn it rolls into the cost of the tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brn2hnt

WKR
There are units that NR numbers are going to be way down in. He was actually low in his guess on the units he's referencing. It's more like a 90% reduction lol

I don't believe this is even remotely true.

He was talking about total hunter numbers, not NR.

Total hunter numbers will be down very little.

Take Pioneer A tag, word on the street is it was one of the units that got NR tags slashed by 50%. Basic math says that means that historically, there were about 600 NR tags and now will be 300.

You telling me you're gonna notice the difference between 2300 people and 2000?

C'mon man.

Take Pioneer A tag, word on the street is it was one of the units that got NR tags slashed by 50%. Basic math says that means that historically, there were about 600 NR tags and now will be 300.

C'mon man.
That’s 15% reduction in hunter numbers. I would think it would be at least a little noticeable

IdahoElk

WKR

C'mon man.
I will see the difference for sure as I think a lot of residents are weekend warriors and the NR tend to come for extended periods of time.

Craig4791

WKR
All I see is a bunch of salty Res complaints about non res killing in their backyard... Don't know any Residents that are consistent killers personally that are complaining. Ive hunted ID for years and never had an issue with crowding if you park your truck and hike...

Biggest threat I see is making it harder to get tags across the West for the average guy in basically every state now hurts us all. WE are our own worst enemy.

All I see is a bunch of salty Res complaints about non res killing in their backyard... Don't know any Residents that are consistent killers personally that are complaining. Ive hunted ID for years and never had an issue with crowding if you park your truck and hike...

Biggest threat I see is making it harder to get tags across the West for the average guy in basically every state now hurts us all. WE are our own worst enemy.
The "Salty Residents" that are consistent killers aren't complaining on Rokslide, that creates lots of heat and no light. We are keeping a careful eye on the areas that we consistently kill in. When nonresident encroachment gets high, we go to the source with facts and numbers, not anecdotal BS, and bend the ear of people that can make a difference. Try it in your state....you might not have to come hunt mine anymore. I'm not trying to troll you, I'm serious. This is an example of a Game department listening to their constituents and taking action. Needs to happen all across the country.

sneaky

"DADDY"

C'mon man.
I guarantee Pioneer zone NR tags got cut by more than 50%. And yes, it'll be a noticeable difference.

sneaky

"DADDY"

All we see are a bunch of pissed off NR who are going to have a harder time getting their fallback tags anymore. At least Idaho is making an effort to help their residents have more opportunities. Maybe AZ should take notes.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree that caps will help with management but the numbers of non residents have not changed in years. So isn’t 12815 still 12815 for elk tags.Same amount of out of staters they will just be spread out more. And believe me I understand we see more out of staters the first week of pheasant season than you guys do all year.
NR fees hadn't changed since 2009 either.
888a00f4b5d56ccacecb1ae2a1d7e6db.jpg

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
All we see are a bunch of pissed off NR who are going to have a harder time getting their fallback tags anymore. At least Idaho is making an effort to help their residents have more opportunities. Maybe AZ should take notes.

Az is going to have to do similar with our now over-hyped otc archery.

Rob5589

WKR
Still better than a draw. Still cheaper than MT or WY. And there is still opportunity to kill an elk. Could be a lot worse. ID could have cut tags by 50% across the board for non residents. Hopefully it will keep those damn Californians out of my spot 😁

Az is going to have to do similar with our now over-hyped otc archery.
AZ has otc tags, other than the non permit tag?