If a guy had a $3,000 budget for a hunting rifle and scope

Status
Not open for further replies.

mt100gr.

WKR
But a magnum is needed because the military and "growing into" something as a shooter cause that's a thing too.

#icameforconfirmation
#sendit
You forgot that he's 6'4" and 225lbs, too. And that he needs a magnum for big bullets because elkosaurus is on the menu!

Once again, a lot of us fell for it...thought this guy actually wanted suggestions.... They might as well have already bought it before he posted.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
You forgot that he's 6'4" and 225lbs, too. And that he needs a magnum for big bullets because elkosaurus is on the menu!

Once again, a lot of us fell for it...thought this guy actually wanted suggestions.... They might as well have already bought it before he posted.
You made them after the fact! Suggestions are just that, suggestions.

Obvious you are more focused on negative comments about members of our military than actually providing good support.

big44a4

WKR

Leupold is the best. Thats why Cameron hanes has been “using leupold optics for years.” Only because they are the best even though we’ve seen him with vortex in recent years as well.

They have also tested the best here in drop tests so gold ring is the choice of scope for this rifle! Glad it’s in the final cut.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Leupold is the best. Thats why Cameron hanes has been “using leupold optics for years.” Only because they are the best even though we’ve seen him with vortex in recent years as well.

They have also tested the best here in drop tests so gold ring is the choice of scope for this rifle! Glad it’s in the final cut.
So tired of trolls that have nothing better to do than be negative and disparaging.

Guess you looked over Maven in your judgement. NO bias or want to help at all - do you have any data to support your assertion or is it just your negative opinion on a solution that has already been solved?

Free country though - you wanna be mad. DO it.

Thanks to all the other folks on there that shared helpful suggestions and advice. We appreciate it very much!!! OP is OUT!!!

big44a4

WKR
So tired of trolls that have nothing better to do than be negative and disparaging.

Guess you looked over Maven in your judgement. NO bias or want to help at all - do you have any data to support your assertion or is it just your negative opinion on a solution that has already been solved?

Free country though - you wanna be mad. DO it.

Thanks to all the other folks on there that shared helpful suggestions and advice. We appreciate it very much!!! OP is OUT!!!

What was negative? I told you leupold was the best as Cameron Hanes says so on every video he posts multiple times per week thanking them for contributing to his success in the field. That is just stating a fact.

I contributed what I could and confirmed all scope options I know to have military discounts. May want to check out scope evals on here before purchasing. Use the search function as most of this has been discussed just a time or two in recent years. Maven/Leupold reliability will depend on the model same from what I’ve seen. I personally have a leupold scope on a 20-100 yard rifle for my kids to fill the freezer on animals under a feeder.

Glad you found a good deal on a rifle. Good luck on the optics and putting it all together to serve your buddies purpose. That’s all that matters.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
What was negative? I told you leupold was the best as Cameron Hanes says so on every video he posts multiple times per week thanking them for contributing to his success in the field. That is just stating a fact.

I contributed what I could and confirmed all scope options I know to have military discounts. May want to check out scope evals on here before purchasing. Use the search function as most of this has been discussed just a time or two in recent years. Maven/Leupold reliability will depend on the model same from what I’ve seen. I personally have a leupold scope on a 20-100 yard rifle for my kids to fill the freezer on animals under a feeder.

Glad you found a good deal on a rifle. Good luck on the optics and putting it all together to serve your buddies purpose. That’s all that matters.
My mistake. Pretty easy to misinterpret emails with no other input or inflection

He has about 500 rounds of 300 WM he was given along the way, so it made sense to use them....now to the scope!!

sndmn11

WKR

Obvious you are more focused on negative comments about members of our military than actually providing good support.

I think some of us wanted to see him be set up for the best chance of success, and his service amplified that. My brother and sister in law are both enlisted, their 8yo daughter shoots better than either of them.

Since you haven't gotten him a scope. Go grab a 10x side focus SWFA before pigeonholing him into something that you want him to have, and then he can figure out what he likes down the road.

mt100gr.

WKR

Military has nothing to do with it. Physical size has nothing to do with it. As you'll probably find out. But I will say that having 500 rounds on hand would factor into my decision, as well. And like I said, you pretty much had your decision made before posting. That will be a great rifle if you guys pick a quality optic. Heed the advice already given in that department😉. (Find a sale, find used, don't just buy something because of a discount)

Guys make the mistake all the time with rifles for kids/wives/new shooters. "He's a tough kid, he can shoot my 30-06" , "She doesn't mind shooting my 7mmRM"....etc. but they all shoot more and better with lighter recoiling rifles.

The suggestions offered were for the skill set you described and the high volume shooting practice/comfort you implied.

Many of the folks that offered suggestions on this thread have learned this stuff the expensive way. And I am absolutely one of them.

BjornF16

WKR
Military discount? That changes things quite a bit.

Definitely a magnum cartridge because of his training, experience, and upcoming long range classes. Vortex and Leupold are no-brainer home runs at the .mil pricing.
Can get mil/le pricing on Nightforce, Maven, Trijicon. SWFA are cheap enough (when you can find them)

TaperPin

WKR
It’s awfully fun watching a young guy‘s face light up with a new rifle! The 300 mag is a great choice, with a long long history of being an ideal all around big game rifle, and very accurate at long range.

sndmn11

WKR
lol…I don’t speak jazz hands 🤣

"Expand your horizons like a goose flying with swans" -Confucius

@Article 4 there's some Seekins rings that @Ucsdryder has listed, they would house that SWFA 10x I suggested nicely.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
It’s awfully fun watching a young guy‘s face light up with a new rifle! The 300 mag is a great choice, with a long long history of being an ideal all around big game rifle, and very accurate at long range.
Agree!! Especially in this case and given that he has about 1300 bucks worth of free copper rockets to practice with.

VernAK

WKR
Insanely horrible advice in this thread...damn.

Embarrassing actually.

Many members would benefit by reading more and typing less!
Like the digital world, I'm a generation or two behind, but I didn't see any suggestions for a time-tested rifle/action with a long history of reliability ala Mauser type, Almost all of the scopes suggested would make Hubble proud.

But my young friends that own the LGS are enjoying all the $$$$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.