If you could move anywhere?

grfox92

WKR
I already did it. Wyoming, if you can afford anything at this point it will be a miracle. Prices are insane right now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Hell, come to California. Don't need to worry about voting because your vote won't matter. You'll save money on guns and ammo due to restrictions. Plenty of wilderness to explore. Lots of fishing opportunities. Hunting for waterfowl, pigs, bears is very good. Deer is so-so; elk, lopes, sheep, are all draw. Stay north of Sacramento and you'll be in conservative California. Oh, and we lead the nation in gas prices and taxes I believe. Being #1 means something.

Hell, come to California. Don't need to worry about voting because your vote won't matter. You'll save money on guns and ammo due to restrictions. Plenty of wilderness to explore. Lots of fishing opportunities. Hunting for waterfowl, pigs, bears is very good. Deer is so-so; elk, lopes, sheep, are all draw. Stay north of Sacramento and you'll be in conservative California. Oh, and we lead the nation in gas prices and taxes I believe. Being #1 means something.
Honestly, California sucks in so many ways but the people that ignore the absolute fishing/waterfowl/turkey mecca this state is are blind. It truly is a 365 day a year hunting/fishing state and except for about 2.5 months in the summer the weather is superb. Get good or get private land access and you can kill two bucks a year (this excludes me) but even sub-par fishermen can slay numerous fresh and salt water species.

Politically, your life is run by democrats but when you get past that, you realize that you don't know any (if you live north of Yuba City and not in Chico). -- I'll stay until the constant drought means I don't have duck water anymore but I hate the snow so that limits me a bit.

Baseball and football hot bed too since you said your boys are into that. It helps these kids can play baseball year round.

Northpark

WKR
Utah - and get another wife!

Ooops - I wouldn’t wish that on anyone lol
Jeez I think one is enough!

To the OP I guess for me I’d say stay put. Living out west ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. High cost of living, continually reduced water supply, continual fire season, continual decline in hunter opportunities. If the kids are in sports be prepared to have literally drive to the other side of the state every week to go play especially if you live in a small town because the next town over might be a ways away. The cost of living is high to extreme depending on where you go. For example my parents have some friends who’s daughter moved to Boise a decade ago. They are retiring and wanted to move from Michigan to Boise until they found out they couldn’t afford to sell their house on 80 acres and buy anything in Boise.

If you and family are dead set on moving west I’d go all out and do Alaska.

jimh406

WKR
Skip Nevada, California, Oregon, Colorado, and Washington unless your politics is as Left as they are when you look at a map. Keep in mind that most large cities even in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming lean that way, too. The weather can vary a lot. I suggest visiting in the dead of Winter and Late Summer to see the extremes of cold/snow and also fire season.

WKR

WKR
Ha! Yeah sure move to CA where $100k salary gets you an apartment in the ghetto
You get to do a background check every time you buy ammo. And resident hunting license fees are increasing every year.

I would say Alaska, Wyoming, or Montana. Idaho might not be a red state in a decade.

Seriously, you all are suggesting Utah?

Utah sucks. The hunting opportunity isn't that good. The cost of living is getting higher by the day. The pay is low. People are flocking here. Go somewhere else.
I agree. Moved here 11 years ago and I have had about enough. Hunting opportunities suck. I am sick of drought. Fishing sucks for the most part.

The West isn’t what it once was. I’m starting to wonder if I would enjoy it more moving east and living on a nice lake and taking a trip or 2 a year out west.

Rob5589

WKR
I would say California, in a few years you will have that place to yourself. They are all moving to Idaho, Montana and Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably not too far off the truth. Unfortunately, what will be left is wealthy and poor. The middle class have had enough and are parting ways with the golden state.

A co-worker recently moved outside Boise. Says every other person he meets is a CA defector. He said Eagle is now referred to as "Eaglefornia." :LOL:

Wingnutty

FNG
I’m a lifelong Montanan. Honestly, I’m starting to question whether I’ll die a Montanan or whether we’ll move someplace else in the future. It’s declining fast. I don’t see how anyone from a Midwest state could afford to buy here and live here and I seriously question how my kids will ever be able to survive here.

….cost of living: insane. Open space (in western Montana) disappearing. Uncrowded Recreation: diminishing fast.

I wonder if someday I might sell my house for $1,000,000 and go buy acreage in the Midwest or something? Never thought I’d think that but I dunno. I think we’ll start to see more people from the west moving east soon due to cost of living. If I see one more post on Facebook that says “we just moved here (anywhere western Montana ) and can’t find it afford anyplace to live, please help”. For hells sake why would anyone with out deep pockets even think of moving here at this point???

Last edited:

Travis907

WKR
My vote would be Alaska, Wyoming and Montana in that order! Best of luck to you! Can’t go wrong heading west and I live in Indiana! I’m jealous

I’m a lifelong Montanan. Honestly, I’m starting to question whether I’ll die a Montanan or whether we’ll move someplace else in the future. It’s declining fast. I don’t see how anyone from a Midwest state could afford to buy here and live here and I seriously question how my kids will ever be able to survive here.

….cost of living: insane. Open space (in western Montana) disappearing. Uncrowded Recreation: diminishing fast.

I wonder if someday I might sell my house for $1,000,000 and go buy acreage in the Midwest or something? Never thought I’d think that but I dunno. I think we’ll start to see more people from the west moving east soon due to cost of living. If I see one more post on Facebook that says “we just moved here (anywhere western Montana ) and can’t find it afford anyplace to live, please help”. For hells sake why would anyone with deep pockets even think of moving here at this point???
Last year I had 3 people from work move east.

tdhanses

WKR

I wonder if someday I might sell my house for $1,000,000 and go buy acreage in the Midwest or something? Never thought I’d think that but I dunno. I think we’ll start to see more people from the west moving east soon due to cost of living. If I see one more post on Facebook that says “we just moved here (anywhere western Montana ) and can’t find it afford anyplace to live, please help”. For hells sake why would anyone with deep pockets even think of moving here at this point???
A million won’t go far in the midwest.

In the late 70s and 80s, I worked a lot in the mother lode of California. I found great people and some real crazies. I noted that the population was composed of the very rich and the very poor. I doubt if it has gotten better.

Western Oregon was interesting found a population held hostage in southwest and northeast Oregon. The rural portions were great if you could live with the cities rule.

When I lived in Washington, spokane was somewhat tolerable yet the Seattle control was oppressive. Again the smaller towns were great but the Seattle rules were not.

Montana is evolving into a similar mess. Our government sucks with lots of EPA influence. Many people in controlling positions lack the necessary background to do anything but continue to limit anything that could happen.

Bozeman is a town of high costs that are increasing. Seems like every week they have a new proposal to increase taxes. Missoula has always been a center for liberal lunatics. They used to be buffered by the real people but they are dying off and moving out. Kalispel is similar. The smaller towns vary according to the amount of immigrants from the cities - instate and out of state. The country folks flavor changes with the number of imports. The more remote the better.

Idaho is similar. Boise is Bozeman as little California. I think Sandpoint may be leaning toward the libs where it used to be loggers and farmers.

Before you buy, I would suggest you rent until you get the flavor of the area. You might find you can't stand the local politics and personalities.

I live where the environment is too harsh for the majority of the imports. It's pleasant but solitary and eventually you have to go to town -- briefly.

Mt Al

WKR
IMHO West South Dakota, Wyoming or Montana. If you can afford the real estate - pick where you like and enjoy. Thousands of people are doing what you're planning on doing and making it work in spite of all the doom and gloom. I may not like it, but it's a fact.

Depending on your profession and need to travel for work (need close-enough airport) you might try less trendy towns like Casper, Great Falls or way rural Eastern/Northeastern Montana. It would be hard to find a better hunting/fishing/outdoor-life town than Great Falls, MT. Two friends moved there and have zero plans of leaving. They laugh when I complain about more people crowding public land around Bozeman. Same with Sheridan, WY, Spearfish, SD.

A lot of wisdom in an earlier post of living where you can afford a home and make a nice salary and come out to enjoy the West several times a year. I was interviewing a guy from Indianapolis for a job in Bozeman. At dinner he did napkin math on housing/cost of living, vacation time and correctly stated that he'd stay in Indy and enjoy more of Montana than most residents with his earned vacation time, cheap housing and excellent salary.

Good luck!