If you could move anywhere?

I’m banking on Oregon becoming less woke so I can stay😂

Take away the politics, and one could argue this is the best all around state in our country… as it is, I’m looking for an exit strategy, but there aren’t many land jobs that interest me, I need adventure in my day to day life, I think I was made to work on the ocean, and that’s a hurdle

*zap*

WKR
You cannot take away politics....but you know that already. Today 'politics' is the #1 thing effecting quality of life imo. ymmv.

Blandry

WKR
Total quality of life matters more than tags (not to me, but to my wife). Best quality of life based on the same states is in this order: Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, Wyoming. Because: weather, climate, politics, fishing, ATV riding, camping, crime.

Wyoming, Eastern Montana and Northern Idaho have worse weather than Anchorage Alaska does, and less quality of life going on.

I don't understand the crime and quality of life things regarding WY because the crime rate is next to zero and the cost of living is MUCH less than any of the other states you listed. I guess if you're wealthy and need 'things' outside of a roof over your head and grocery store to be happy it might make a difference.

Mojave

WKR
The crime in Wyoming is not next to zero.

I-25 and I-80 are drug highways.

Small towns in remote Wyoming have problems with meth.

Blandry

WKR
Yeah the 125 corridor including Cheyenne is but I'm looking closely at Laramie. Pretty low crime rate...

Laramie: 112.8 Cheyenne: 271.0 Fort Collins: 159.4 Wheatland: 161.4 Timnath: 116.6

Blandry

WKR
This is the other reason I want out of CO.... That same grocery list is $260 in WY. Along with the $700 year vehicle registration and other things they want me to pay for in this state when I'm a single bachelor with no rug rats...

Food Prices in Denver, CO, United States​

Recommended Minimum Amount of Money for food (2400 calories, Western food types)
Milk (regular), (0.25 liter)0.25 $
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (125.00 g)0.99 $
Rice (white), (0.10 kg)0.46 $
Eggs (regular) (2.40)0.62 $
Local Cheese (0.10 kg)1.18 $
Chicken Fillets (0.15 kg)2.23 $
Beef Round (0.15 kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat)2.36 $
Apples (0.30 kg)1.57 $
Banana (0.25 kg)0.39 $
Oranges (0.30 kg)1.27 $
Tomato (0.20 kg)0.95 $
Potato (0.20 kg)0.45 $
Onion (0.10 kg)0.26 $
Lettuce (0.20 head)0.34 $
Daily recommended minimum amount of money for food per person13.32 $
Monthly recommended minimum amount of money for food per person
(assuming 31 days per month)
413.04 $

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I'd spend the late winter and early spring (February - May) in the Abacos for fishing/lobster/boating/drinking/relaxing, summer would be in the North Carolina mountains where I'm already at and would also be my "base" (highs around 85, normal temps around 75, in summer), early fall would consist of traveling around killing upland birds all over with one or two big game hunts out west and deer hunting around home, Nov - Jan would consist of upland hunts, occasional deer hunts, and time at my cabin in the mid-south for ducks.

If all goes to plan, it will happen within the next 10 years. Waiting on a good deal in the Abacos and the kids to get a little older. Really, the house in the Abacos is the only thing I don't have right now to make this plan happen when timing is right ... Maybe I'll find a good deal in the next year or so.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I'd spend the late winter and early spring (February - May) in the Abacos for fishing/lobster/boating/drinking/relaxing, summer would be in the North Carolina mountains where I'm already at and would also be my "base" (highs around 85, normal temps around 75, in summer), early fall would consist of traveling around killing upland birds all over with one or two big game hunts out west and deer hunting around home, Nov - Jan would consist of upland hunts, occasional deer hunts, and time at my cabin in the mid-south for ducks.

If all goes to plan, it will happen within the next 10 years. Waiting on a good deal in the Abacos and the kids to get a little older. Really, the house in the Abacos is the only thing I don't have right now to make this plan happen when timing is right ... Maybe I'll find a good deal in the next year or so.

You sir, have the right idea. Save me a stool at Nippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy22

FNG
This is the other reason I want out of CO.... That same grocery list is $260 in WY. Along with the $700 year vehicle registration and other things they want me to pay for in this state when I'm a single bachelor with no rug rats...

Food Prices in Denver, CO, United States​

Recommended Minimum Amount of Money for food (2400 calories, Western food types)
Milk (regular), (0.25 liter)0.25 $
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (125.00 g)0.99 $
Rice (white), (0.10 kg)0.46 $
Eggs (regular) (2.40)0.62 $
Local Cheese (0.10 kg)1.18 $
Chicken Fillets (0.15 kg)2.23 $
Beef Round (0.15 kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat)2.36 $
Apples (0.30 kg)1.57 $
Banana (0.25 kg)0.39 $
Oranges (0.30 kg)1.27 $
Tomato (0.20 kg)0.95 $
Potato (0.20 kg)0.45 $
Onion (0.10 kg)0.26 $
Lettuce (0.20 head)0.34 $
Daily recommended minimum amount of money for food per person13.32 $
Monthly recommended minimum amount of money for food per person
(assuming 31 days per month)
413.04 $
Sorry man, I've been a resident of both states and groceries were lots more expensive in Crook County Wyo than Mesa County CO. Property taxes in Wyo were much higher as were vehicle registrations. I even get the homestead exemption on my property taxes in CO now that I'm over 65. 50% discount on the first 200K in valuation. Even with the state income tax in CO, I believe taxes are a wash. Wyo may be conservative, but they have to get the $ somewhere. Republicans have their hands in my pockets just as far as the Democrats. Drank a beer with a buddy of mine last night. Between him and his two kids they have 5 elk licenses (2 bow and 3 late season rifle), 3 deer licenses, 1 bear and 1 goat. Only advantage in Wyo was longer seasons. Not all of Colorado is the Front Range.

Blandry

WKR
Yeah I hear ya. I’m a fed employee and work in Denver so I just figured I’d make the drive back and forth to WY the few times a month I have to get to an office. I’ll have to do more research and make my decision whether to make the move up there.

Goatboy22

FNG
Yeah I hear ya. I’m a fed employee and work in Denver so I just figured I’d make the drive back and forth to WY the few times a month I have to get to an office. I’ll have to do more research and make my decision whether to make the move up there.

Don't get me wrong, I loved things about Wyoming. I could hunt antelope every year as a resident, but that has even changed now. I was a fed too, and hard to beat that Front Range pay differential! Be careful where you go. I have a lot of friends in Wyoming still, and it is changing fast, just like Montana and Idaho. The east side of the Bighorns is becoming over run in the summers with all the motorized folks from the mid west. A couple of friends of mine in Sheridan are looking for greener pastures due to the onslaught, but it's all relative to where you're moving from. A friend of mine in the Forest Service told me about 20 years ago that if it's a nice livable place in Montana, it's already just like Colorado. I've always remembered that!

Blandry

WKR
Yeah that locality pay would take a hit for sure! I could transfer to the Cheyenne office if I wanted to. Also have the option of transfer to the salt lake office so options are there. We’ll see!

Goatboy22

FNG
Yeah that locality pay would take a hit for sure! I could transfer to the Cheyenne office if I wanted to. Also have the option of transfer to the salt lake office so options are there. We’ll see!

Cheyenne over Salt Lake any day! At least you're in Wyoming. The Wasatch Front is a shitshow, and they're trying to get the Winter Olympics again. I think that was the beginning of the end. A couple of good college football teams at the moment though. Bluffalos kind of suck!

Blandry

WKR
Yeah that was my thought as well. I’m really thinking Cheyenne or Laramie, just to be closer to the good fishing spots. I fish more than hunt so that’s my consideration. I’ve done a few upgrades in the salt lake division office and liked the city. A bit hotter than I prefer. The cool, dry mountain air has spoiled me. I had a chance to transfer down to the Oklahoma City office a few months ago and really thought it over. I just can’t go back to southern heat. I was born and raised in south Louisiana outside of Lafayette and have had my fill of heat and humidity. It’s mountain air for me from now on. I’m 18 years in and staring down retirement myself and where I want to retire to.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Same here. 22 years as a Fed and I'm REALLY looking forward to retirement.
On the Gulf now, hoping to convince my wife to head to the hills in a few years.