Leaving Kifaru?

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
I switched over to Kifaru packs 8 years ago & sold my Kuiu Icon Pro's. Ive absolutely loved my Reckoning & now Hoodlum however as I age I'm increasingly having issues with the empty pack/frame weight. I'm looking into other options-can't believe it. Any others out there that want to share experiences of switching from Kifaru and to what system. I will say ive yet to find a pack that carries weight as well as my Kifaru's but I'm interested. Thx.

tdhanses

WKR
So are you also done packing meat? If so just get a day pack with internal frame, if still packing meat the little extra weight daily really should be that big of an issue.

I don’t use this for hunting but really like it for hiking, flying and an all around setup, it would be great for day hunting.

If not packing in but still wanting load carrying ability look for a light simplistic bag to put on your kifaru frame or maybe SG, Exo or Seek.

I went from Kifaru to an EXO 2000 & 4800 and that SG daypack. I have the Exo 2000 on a Kifaru frame but never use it anymore, also have an argali 7k bag, I use the Exo 4800 for all my hunting now.

Last edited:
I went from SG to a Kifaru mountain warrior and bag to an SG. The X Curve frame just fits me better. I can’t say one is objectively better than the other, it’s totally up to the user. Brand loyalty is very foolish in this arena. It’s 100% your back and legs that should choose.

Marble

WKR
I switched over to Kifaru packs 8 years ago & sold my Kuiu Icon Pro's. Ive absolutely loved my Reckoning & now Hoodlum however as I age I'm increasingly having issues with the empty pack/frame weight. I'm looking into other options-can't believe it. Any others out there that want to share experiences of switching from Kifaru and to what system. I will say ive yet to find a pack that carries weight as well as my Kifaru's but I'm interested. Thx.
What are the issues you're having?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I used to use Kifaru then tried a stone glacier and haven’t looked back since. IMO stone glacier makes a much better pack

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
What are the issues you're having?

My issues are I think the packs are heavy and I'm curious about others experience of moving on from Kifaru packs. I've always felt the Kifaru packs were the gold standard after trying for myself but I haven't given others a shot outside of Kuiu.

mtrecon

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve given Kuiu and Kifaru a run. Kuiu about 7 days, not for me. I’ve run 44mag Kifaru about 60 days and never could get the right fit for me, great pack and loved it. Just got at SG and fit is much better
for me, comfort is better and just where it rides with weight is good for me. The xcurve frame rides well.

JakeSCH

WKR
I’ve more or less gotten off the kifaru train (except for me LPP and pull outs). I like the stone glacier bags, frames and weight better and they work well for me. Other than the stone glacier, I have a Barney’s pack frame for hauling moose, and other bulky stuff.

I've heard great things about Barney's. If I left Kifaru it would probably be for Exo.

Marble

WKR
My issues are I think the packs are heavy and I'm curious about others experience of moving on from Kifaru packs. I've always felt the Kifaru packs were the gold standard after trying for myself but I haven't given others a shot outside of Kuiu.
Oh ok. I thought you were having a back issue or something.

I had back issues prior to having mine, only when wearing a pack, haven't since.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

I went from SG krux to Kifaru and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bsnedeker

WKR
So are you also done packing meat? If so just get a day pack with internal frame, if still packing meat the little extra weight daily really should be that big of an issue.

I don’t use this for hunting but really like it for hiking, flying and an all around setup, it would be great for day hunting.

If not packing in but still wanting load carrying ability look for a light simplistic bag to put on your kifaru frame or maybe SG, Exo or Seek.

I went from Kifaru to an EXO 2000 & 4800 and that SG daypack. I have the Exo 2000 on a Kifaru frame but never use it anymore, also have an argali 7k bag, I use the Exo 4800 for all my hunting now.
I agree with this. I'll just add that Kifaru makes a couple of very light internal frame packs (cutthroat and the minikeg). The minikeg in particular is a tad bigger and therefore a tad heavier than the SG listed above but is under 3.5 pounds so if you wanted to stick with Kifaru (as you seem to like their products) you can do so and still have a light pack. If you keep your external frame you can always use that to pack meat on trips 2+ if you keep it in the truck.

That said, lots of good options out there. I like my Kifaru gear but I've tried SG and Exo and I think they make good stuff. If you find something you like I don't think you'll be disappointed as long as the pack fits you properly.

NoWiser

WKR
I sold my Kifaru and went to Stone Glacier because of the empty weight. With 60+ pounds the Kifaru was more comfortable for me. For 90% of the time I have the pack on, I like the Stone Glacier much more. The bag itself suits me much better and I love the way the frame fits and how light it is. I quit thinking about other packs once I got my Stone Glacier.

KHNC

WKR
I use a Seek Outside Peregrine. It feels great while hunting, and easy to shoot with it on. I have hauled 80-90lb loads several times. Elk , deer , lion and bear. Very nice pack in my opinion. I am the odd person that never like Kifaru packs to begin with.

hunting1

WKR
I have a shelf full of packs and although I like some of the others for day carrying the Kifaru is king if I expect a heavy load! The Mountain Warrior was their best pack and they discontinued it so the current offerings don't do much for me.

I don't get this... guys agonize over different weights in packs so much. But go spec out a comparable frame + pack size option between Kifaru and stone glacier. I've done it. Many times. I use a Reckoning and the old Duplex hunter, fwiw. The most I would be able to cut by switching to one of the big(i.e. comparable) SG packs is 6-8 oz. unless I go to their straight frame. But if I did that I could just swap to arrow stays in my Kifaru and keep the weight gap right where it was to begin with... I've tested the straight stays. They aren't as comfortable as the curved stays, and I don't think buying a SG would magically change my back profile.

Long story short. Buy a pack that fits and carries well for your intended purpose. Don't worry about the empty weight, worry about how it feels on your back.