Lightweight takedown single shot rifle - any market for it?

OP
Newtosavage
Yes, I read your post. My point is simply that there isn't a market for an ultralight single shot due to there being no advantage over a repeater. If you could make it lighter, or give it some additional advantage, then yes, it would have appeal.

Jeremy
It could easily be made lighter, but the appeal to me is the packability. That to me is the whole point - being able to break it down and reassemble it quickly and without tools. There are plenty of cases where I'd rather have my rifle in my pack or in a short side saddle case that is no taller than my pack. There may be times when I don't want to draw attention to the fact that I have a rifle in my pack.

Maybe some folks don't realize this, and maybe it doesn't apply everywhere, but you are allowed now by law to carry a firearm through national parks under certain conditions. There are a number of places where being able to pass through NPS land to get to FS or BLM or other, can give you access to a lot of hunting ground that is otherwise very difficult to get to.

I plan to do this with my break-action muzzleloader this fall in fact. And I prefer not to draw any attention to the fact that I'm hiking in to hunt.

Dude run an ar15. 6.5 grendel, 6 grendel or vanilla 223 with 77gr tmk.

3 lbs unscoped to skies the limit.

two captured pins. 24” broke down.

break actions suck for hunting, there is no market for what you are asking for. I’m as hard up for simple lightweight rifles.. own an NEF and have shot a lot of CVA we had as a boat gun up in alaska commercial fishing

another option is a take down blr lightweight with the alloy receiver. But a stainless upper from PSA will shoot better and cheaper and only be about 4” longer

slick

WKR
That is the most absurd statement. A rifle is a rifle is a rifle. It’s a tool to get your intended job done. An AR is as much a hunting rifle as is a single shot, bolt gun, pump, etc.

I don’t even own one of them, but lord that was ignorant.

Back to the topic. I too was thinking of the same thing you were- a lightweight, stainless/composite stock single shot with an 18” barrel in the 308/-06 category. I was unable to find anything that fit that that was any lighter than a bolt gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The rifle does exist....well at least it does for me. I went through a bunch of customs and off the shelf lightweights (Kimber Ascent etc) before I settled on my K95 as my #1 deer and backpacking rifle.

It can be taken down and assembled in seconds without tools (like a shotgun), has a tip off scope that holds a perfect zero and is more accurate than I am. K95's have a reputation for 0.5moa out of the box..... no smithing and no stuffing around. Mine is chambered in 8x57R....which I like to think of as the thinking man's 30-06 (you can get them in an array of chamberings). Bare weight sans scope it is 5lb 13oz and I have slapped a rather porky 1lb plus scope on mine. There are expensive but in the long run it cost a lot less than what I've thrown at gunsmiths playing around with custom bolt guns. The cool things is you can buy multiple barrels and run a 243 and 30-06. I'm probably going to buy a moderate 6.5mm (6.5x57R or the swede) shortly in readiness for my son when he is grown enough to take a deer himself.

Here it is pictured below wrapped up for a water crossing and long hike in. It is often broken down and stuffed into my pack. I have a hard travel case that is only as long as the barrel which makes it a joy to fly with compared to standard long arm cases.

20191007_090037-X4.jpg

44%20%205-X4.jpg

^^ this. I realize it's not for everyone... but you've got about the perfect setup there in my mind! I could probably turn a few guns into one, but I just cant bring myself to do it. Maybe I'll get ambitious someday and track one down. Again - BEAUTIFUL rifle.

204guy

WKR
Maybe some folks don't realize this, and maybe it doesn't apply everywhere, but you are allowed now by law to carry a firearm through national parks under certain conditions. There are a number of places where being able to pass through NPS land to get to FS or BLM or other, can give you access to a lot of hunting ground that is otherwise very difficult to get to.

I plan to do this with my break-action muzzleloader this fall in fact. And I prefer not to draw any attention to the fact that I'm hiking in to hunt.

That's a great idea......just don't plan on killing anything and packing it out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I think the market would be very small for them and the cost would be high for anything quality. I agree with a few people here you can get a light repeating rifle that pretty compact. Also, for me a gun is useless unless it is ready to use. If it just for the convenience of packing in and out...no thanks. Not saying some people wouldn't buy it right away but I think most would realize pretty quick it is not needed.

OP
Newtosavage
That's a great idea......just don't plan on killing anything and packing it out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Would not be a problem. I've already checked. Make sure you are talking to the right person and know the rules better than they do when you ask. That always helps. ;)

OP
Newtosavage
I think the market would be very small for them and the cost would be high for anything quality. I agree with a few people here you can get a light repeating rifle that pretty compact. Also, for me a gun is useless unless it is ready to use. If it just for the convenience of packing in and out...no thanks. Not saying some people wouldn't buy it right away but I think most would realize pretty quick it is not needed.
I agree but for the situation I specifically described, or others like it, it would be nice to have a pack rifle that is truly contained within your pack. I can think of a lot of scenarios where that would be a preferred option. Not just the one I described.

There are literally thousands of places where you can legally access public hunting land through other lands where it would be counterproductive to display a weapon, if not outright illegal. There are other situations where you might be able to protect your weapon from falls and drops if it is securely contained and protected by the rest of the items in your pack.

A takedown rifle in a small case that fits in between the batwings on my F1 mainframe or dropped in my Kelty pack without giving away the fact that I have a rifle on board, would open up some options for me and allow me to avoid potential conflicts or even other hunters who poach spots.

It helps to think outside the box on public land.

bitbckt

Lil-Rokslider
There is an important difference between people who do not find certain classes of weapon interesting, useful, or fun and those who would not stand up for others' right to own same. Subtly is often lost on ideological purists, to their own peril.

Might as well move this thread to General Discussion where the mud flinging belongs.

OR... you could just accept that he's not interested in hunting with an AR. Wanting to talk about single shot rifles (or the lack of one in a particular niche) IN A THREAD WITH SINGLE SHOT IN THE TITLE does not mean it is some sort of affront to AR owners. To each their own. No mud flinging necessary.

OP
Newtosavage
OR... you could just accept that he's not interested in hunting with an AR. Wanting to talk about single shot rifles (or the lack of one in a particular niche) IN A THREAD WITH SINGLE SHOT IN THE TITLE does not mean it is some sort of affront to AR owners. To each their own. No mud flinging necessary.
Correct. No butthurt needed here. Just good 'ol discussion on single-shot rifles. Thanks.

good luck finding someone to invest their capital developing a product That is useless

I know it’s that time of year where the good idea ferry comes along and starts spreading pixie dust..

not too hard to get a rifle to get in and out of a pack. Hex head on a torque wrench. Chop ur favourite rifle to 16” and take the stock on and off. Probably takes 30 seconds tops.

I did this a bunch in New Zealand with my tikka. Didn’t have 47” of space for rifle in campervan. Always checked zero at first but soon noticed no POI shift as long as assembly process was repeated the same.