Make sure you show respect this fall

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you’re going to kill an animal, do it for the right reason…unless it’s a wolf. Then let the dirty bastard rot.

I took my antelope out of a game bag this evening after letting it sit in the fridge for 4 days to age. No dirt, no blood, very little hair. The meat is going to be prime grade! I killed the buck with a clean shot through the vitals, he made it 20 yards and died on his feet. It was cleaned immediately, hung overnight and then put into an ice chest with ice on the top and bottom of the game bags. I take my meat care very seriously and the quality of table fare I’ve got in return has been phenomenal.

On the way home Sunday, I pulled into a gas station for a snack and there was a truck next to me. A beautiful antelope buck was laying in the truck, skin, guts and all. It was 77 degrees according to my truck dash. Some guy will be telling others how terrible antelope meat is this fall!

I love killing critters as much as the next guy, but I don’t take it lightly. In general, I think rokslide has a higher class of hunters and I think most of us do it for the right reasons!

Oh and take care of your furry friends!

Attachments

• 59629EA5-A52D-473E-ACB6-A247352F3033.jpeg
    59629EA5-A52D-473E-ACB6-A247352F3033.jpeg
    576.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 866A3A4E-195E-4338-AC27-EC9EA6C6E88C.jpeg
    866A3A4E-195E-4338-AC27-EC9EA6C6E88C.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 209
  • F492904E-2D90-439A-A554-BCEF6E156ADE.jpeg
    F492904E-2D90-439A-A554-BCEF6E156ADE.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 206

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Proper meat care is number one priority after the kill. It make all the difference in the world. I love your choice of furry friends. I'm on number seven. Best dogs ever. IMHO.

I was driving back from an early hunt and had to wake up my buddy who was in the passenger seat.

It was better than eighty degrees. There was a minivan in the other lane that had a doe on the roof, baking in the sun. It hadn’t even been field dressed and had to have been up there for a while. It was starting to bloat.

We both cringed, imagining the marinated flavor.

AZmark

WKR
Couple weeks ago during the early bull hunt in Eastern AZ I saw a tan Dodge with camper shell that had a nice 6x6 with the head hanging out so everyone could see, it appeared to be gutted but not skinned. I see a lot of guys showing off like this but no big deal. The next day I saw him again with the same elk, still unskinned, driving around. Probably still getting up in the 70's still here at 8000' but I'm sure much warmer inside that camper shell.

TomJoad

WKR
I took my antelope out of a game bag this evening after letting it sit in the fridge for 4 days to age. No dirt, no blood, very little hair. The meat is going to be prime grade! I killed the buck with a clean shot through the vitals, he made it 20 yards and died on his feet. It was cleaned immediately, hung overnight and then put into an ice chest with ice on the top and bottom of the game bags. I take my meat care very seriously and the quality of table fare I’ve got in return has been phenomenal.!
With you 1000% on the meat care, it’s like religion in our house. 4 days is better than you’ll get at a processor but we hang most quarters on the bone for 3-7 weeks depending on the critter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you’re going to kill an animal, do it for the right reason…unless it’s a wolf. Then let the dirty bastard rot.
And who gets to determine "the right reason"? And your next line then excludes what you've apparently said for an exception.......do we all get to make our own exceptions or are you the grand poobah setting the guidelines? The bottom line is.......there really is a hierarchy when it comes to animals for most people, when in fact they all have four legs and are ALL mostly covered in fur. But our "right reasons" are all different.......just like ethics. I don't kill animals for the meat, but it's a nice by-product of the end result. Why don't people eat wolves? That's meat too. Seems hypocritical to extol the value of taking care of the meat, but then "not taking care of the meat" in exclusionary cases of your own determination. So.....show respect this fall.......unless it's an animal on the "no respect" list?

Last edited:
OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
And who gets to determine "the right reason"? And your next line then excludes what you've apparently said for an exception.......do we all get to make our own exceptions or are you the grand poobah setting the guidelines? The bottom line is.......there really is a hierarchy when it comes to animals for most people, when in fact they all have four legs and are ALL mostly covered in fur. But our "right reasons" are all different.......just like ethics. I don't kill animals for the meat, but it's a nice by-product of the end result. Why don't people eat wolves? That's meat too. Seems hypocritical to extol the value of taking care of the meat, but then "not taking care of the meat" in exclusionary cases of your own determination. So.....show respect this fall.......unless it's an animal on the "no respect" list?
Interesting…. Why do you kill animals?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Will it still count if I do the right thing without proclaiming my virtue to the internet?

Sure, but you’re smart A comment doesn’t really fit this thread. He’s just reminding people, and maybe teaching a few who don’t think about it, how to take good care of their meat.

Appreciate the reminder OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
Went to a fast food place for breakfast once during duck season.
A truck load of teens/twenties with their flat bills, mud motor duck boat
and daddys big diesel truck pulled up in the parking lot and went in
the restaurant next door. They had 3 limits of ducks hanging on the back
of their mud motor for everybody to see. Those ducks hung out in
the bright sunlight of central Florida for at least the hour while I was
eating. Upper 70's -80 degrees.
I'm guessing they took them home and threw em in the trash.
I hate to see game wasted.

Marble

WKR
Proper meat care is number one priority after the kill. It make all the difference in the world. I love your choice of furry friends. I'm on number seven. Best dogs ever. IMHO.
Love my GSPs!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk