Meateater season 9

ODB

WKR
I opened this thread excited to see what other folks thought of the episodes... whoops.

ha!

i will say I have some respect for the outfitters they used in Wyoming. Those guys just dripped with cool, calm competency and knowledge.

and I’ll add that I did like the chef dude in Texas - came across a bit different in the show versus the podcast.

OP
Desk Jockey
Again, Netflix hate aside, I am still a Meateater fan. Rinella is one of the most articulate and thoughtful voices in the hunting media industry.

as far as hunting shows go, a combination of dumping my cable company and preference has narrowed my consumption to:

- Meateater
- randy newberg
- solo hunter
- Jim Shockey

i still watch an occasional episode of something else but I don’t seek it out.

I can’t say these season 9 episodes are going to crack my top 10 for Meateater but they weren’t terrible. I liked the Texas episodes, even though they are fishing heavy. The nilgai hunt was what it was but, different than some other shows, they didn’t dress it up to look like some arduous adventure. The horse hunt also. They just showed a different method of hunting. The elk hunt was back to the formula of the old meateater. DIY backpack on public land. I actually like to see them show some different options. Understanding that this forum is more DIY backpack focused, it is still cool to see other methods of hunting portrayed in a format I already like.

WRO

WKR
Again, Netflix hate aside, I am still a Meateater fan. Rinella is one of the most articulate and thoughtful voices in the hunting media industry.

as far as hunting shows go, a combination of dumping my cable company and preference has narrowed my consumption to:

- Meateater
- randy newberg
- solo hunter
- Jim Shockey

i still watch an occasional episode of something else but I don’t seek it out.

I can’t say these season 9 episodes are going to crack my top 10 for Meateater but they weren’t terrible. I liked the Texas episodes, even though they are fishing heavy. The nilgai hunt was what it was but, different than some other shows, they didn’t dress it up to look like some arduous adventure. The horse hunt also. They just showed a different method of hunting. The elk hunt was back to the formula of the old meateater. DIY backpack on public land. I actually like to see them show some different options. Understanding that this forum is more DIY backpack focused, it is still cool to see other methods of hunting portrayed in a format I already like.
I'm surprised western hunter isn't on the list..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

stonewall

WKR
Netflix hate aside, I bought the Meateater on that app. 5-6 seasons and some of 7 Before the Netflix deal. The VHX app is kind of a piece of shit. Pisses me off that I paid up for a show I basically can only watch on an iPad or computer without jumping through hoops. Even then, it is glitchy.

I am sure the Meateater crew had their reasons (keep more $$$ than with Apple) but it does come at A price to their fans.
couldn't agree more. I bought the entire series a while back and had several emails with "customer service" - i have to jump through hoops to access it.

ha!

i will say I have some respect for the outfitters they used in Wyoming. Those guys just dripped with cool, calm competency and knowledge.

and I’ll add that I did like the chef dude in Texas - came across a bit different in the show versus the podcast.

The dude even found Steves missing tag! Those two episodes definitely made those guides look good.

Jaker_cc

WKR
As far as those two Texas episodes go, the things they did and the places they did them couldn’t be pushed into one episode. Crabbing, flounder gigging, and sight fishing specs and reds deserve to be on their own.

The Nilgai Hunt was what it was, walk out and shoot one. That’s normally how that hunt goes, I’ve killed 4 and they have all been that way. Sure they are cool looking, the rug or mount is nice, but what everyone wants with those is the meat. It’s really that damn good. I’m glad they showed the cooking and butchering process on that episode even though it took up most of the time.

Is he trying to make up to Texas for all the years of busting our balls?? Hell idk. But he did 3 of the most fun things we have to offer in my opinion. I think I’ll take it for what it is, he did all of it well.

ODB

WKR
As far as those two Texas episodes go, the things they did and the places they did them couldn’t be pushed into one episode. Crabbing, flounder gigging, and sight fishing specs and reds deserve to be on their own.

The Nilgai Hunt was what it was, walk out and shoot one. That’s normally how that hunt goes, I’ve killed 4 and they have all been that way. Sure they are cool looking, the rug or mount is nice, but what everyone wants with those is the meat. It’s really that damn good. I’m glad they showed the cooking and butchering process on that episode even though it took up most of the time.

Is he trying to make up to Texas for all the years of busting our balls?? Hell idk. But he did 3 of the most fun things we have to offer in my opinion. I think I’ll take it for what it is, he did all of it well.

I think you are right...a bit of a mea culpa for some previous slights.... “the more i go, the more I like it.” Run that in reverse and you end up at “don’t really like it.” Good for him for coming around.

I thought it was was cool to see the little Tommy gazelle - they are cool little animals - full of piss and vinegar.

I’m surprised he didn’t talk more about the oryx. Those were scimitar horned oryx and went extinct in the wild.There were more in Texas than anywhere. Only a few years ago did they reintroduce someback into the wild.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I liked the mule deer episodes, the texas one was cool too but I liked the fishing stuff better than that ridiculous high fence nilgai hunt.

lucky333lucky

Lil-Rokslider
I liked the mule deer episodes, the texas one was cool too but I liked the fishing stuff better than that ridiculous high fence nilgai hunt.

Are you sure that ranch is high fence? I have hunted nilgai a few times on public Texas land. In that area of South Texas there are a lot of low fence ranches where you can hunt nilgai. You will see nilgai crossing roads all the time down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Im always so amazed at how polarizing Rinella is on Rokslide. And now Netflix apparently. Such strong opinions on insanely mundane topics.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

These conversations are no different than what goes on between guys sitting around a campfire - it’s just that we have to type our responses versus blurt them out and they are accessible by others not directly involved in the conversation...it’s just something to talk about, like anything else.

EastMT

WKR
I’m new down here and not far from the Nilgai Mecca, King ranch area. They are free range in that area if that’s where they were at. Low fence seems to be Reg cattle fence that game crosses with no problems. On the way to south padre we stop and glass the Nilgai and the fence just ends, so they can wander all over. I’ve heard they are top 3 in regards to meat, so that is my only temptation in getting one

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Are you sure that ranch is high fence? I have hunted nilgai a few times on public Texas land. In that area of South Texas there are a lot of low fence ranches where you can hunt nilgai. You will see nilgai crossing roads all the time down there.

If you can just drive up to it on a golf cart and take your pick then I'd consider it high fence. ALl the same though, Texas seems like a terrible place.

Jaker_cc

WKR

It’s low fence, he can’t see anything from his high horse up there in Alaska.

EastMT

WKR
If you can just drive up to it on a golf cart and take your pick then I'd consider it high fence. ALl the same though, Texas seems like a terrible place.

I just left AK for work, now down here. Yeah, not my thing. Headed back north as soon as this assignment is done, can’t run fast enough. Winter will be nice, the rest not so much.