Merino wool base layers

Hey all,

I have a question regarding merino wool.

I have heard of guys wearing light weight merino wool base layers even in warm temps in early September archery elk hunts. they claim it will not absorb body odor / perspiration. They claim they can wear it on a week long hunt and it will not smell.

Any one have confirmation of this?
Does wearing the base layers in warm temps become unbearable?

Lightweight merino is Now my go to fabric for early-mid elk hunting. I put my stuff through the test while elk scouting late July through this August. Went on 2-3 separate scouting/camping trips anywhere from 4-7 days. I brought two sets of merino boxers and short sleeve T-shirts on each trip. The garments never got to the point where they "stunk" unlike my synthetics. I tend to sweat alot and don't use scent killer products. Merino just doesn't seem to absorb or retain human body odor caused by sweat as much as other materials. I would just modify the weight and thickness of the garment based on the temperature range.

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 13days straight last year in early october. Hunted 3states and in snow in CO. I wore the FL light for hiking and used the med/heavy for glassing and night. I alternated tees and hoodies air dried as others did. I slept in them as well. I also had the FL merino vest. I was solo but after getting home and smelling after I cleaned up they were stink but not noxiously. Underoos were the main stink of course. I also used 3 pair of wool socks. I Socks got ripe as well. I like merino/nylon vs marino/polyester. Polyester is more toxic to enviro and us than nylon is.

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer my old minus 33 merino wool tshirts....all I wear in the woods hiking and/or hunting. Also the grundies. and the long john bottoms. They are cool and warm.....don't ask me how. They dry quick and they don't stick unlike nasty ass polyester based synthetics that stick immediately and never lose the stank. I am not big on camo so I wear the shirt in solid green as my primary outer layer unless its wet or cold. I like the quick dry cargo pants from Duluth Trading for my main hunting pant, or one of my many misc pair that have zip off legs if its real hot. Solid brown or black. Minus 33 has changed their line up a bit and I don't see the old shirts anymore. I like People socks for merino wool socks.

OP
P Y Buck

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all for the information. I will be packing Merino undies, short sleeve T's and socks on my upcoming hunt.

bwtitus

FNG
Merino and down man, I forget about synthetic clothing for almost any hunting these days, except rain gear. It has its place, but far more often Merino is what I want to wear. I prefer FirstLite over Kuiu by far, but those are the only two I've tried.

It takes a long time before merino starts to stink. I've worn the same set for multiple days on out of state hunts, and no stink.

I wear it a lot - daily wear, camp wear, and hunting. Warm or cold. It helps regulate your body.

Bottoms wear out way quicker than the tops do, by the way.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

CP6

FNG
I’ve used Kuiu and First Lite in the camo realm. Prefer the FL over anything I’ve tried that is camo. Dries faster and is, to me, more comfortable than the Kuiu. Also it does not pill like the Kuiu.

So I am looking to revamp my base layer system. Specifically looking at FL Merino. They have multiple different options ranging from the Aerowool (150), Fuse (200), and Kiln (250). I was thinking about getting a fuse base layer since I think this would be the most versatile in warm or cold weather hunting. Thoughts?

I wear this https://www.firstlite.com/products/mens-fuse-long-john on my bottoms all elk season (sept). They are outstanding. Even when its warm they keep your legs cool. They help in the colder mornings and regulate temps throughout the day. I highly recommend them. I wear one pair the whole season and they dont stink. I even sleep in them at night. I wear a synthetic top (sitka core lightweight) but starts to smell hallacious after two days. I usually rotate the top out every few days. I cannot recommend wool, especially below the waist, enough.

edit: the only reason i do not use wool on my top is i like that synthetic moves the moisture off of my body. wool takes much longer to dry (but still keeps you warm).

I wear this https://www.firstlite.com/products/mens-fuse-long-john on my bottoms all elk season (sept). They are outstanding. Even when its warm they keep your legs cool. They help in the colder mornings and regulate temps throughout the day. I highly recommend them. I wear one pair the whole season and they dont stink. I even sleep in them at night. I wear a synthetic top (sitka core lightweight) but starts to smell hallacious after two days. I usually rotate the top out every few days. I cannot recommend wool, especially below the waist, enough.

edit: the only reason i do not use wool on my top is i like that synthetic moves the moisture off of my body. wool takes much longer to dry (but still keeps you warm).
Thank you for this!

Thank you for this!

This may be a personal question, but do you wear any merino wool underneath this (boxer briefs etc...) or does this serve as your primary base layer? I’ve noticed just wearing long Johns can get uncomfortable on their own, but maybe different since i’ve Never used these specific ones.

Thanks

Buck,
Personally been a game changer for me, I was a naive Wisconsin hunter and the first time I went west 4 years ago I sweated like no other wearing cotton t shirts and my normal Camo pants from back home. Layering with merino has most definitely help me control my sweating and scent control. In my opinion it’s a must.

Mike

I wear just a base layer merino when it’s warmer out, takes several days of sweating before it starts smelling. Amazing stuff, didn’t believe it until I finally purchased some. Couldn’t go without now.

This may be a personal question, but do you wear any merino wool underneath this (boxer briefs etc...) or does this serve as your primary base layer? I’ve noticed just wearing long Johns can get uncomfortable on their own, but maybe different since i’ve Never used these specific ones.

Thanks

I am a huge fan of the FL merino briefs (they are expensive but I feel its worth it and they last a long time). I wear them every day at work. I dont ever put both on together. I agree that long johns do feel odd at first, however, the FL fuse is quite light and therefore, they dont bother me. I would imagine if they were thicker, their presence would be felt more. I hunt A Zone in CA during July for archery deer and temps are usually 100+ and I just wear the briefs then. Anything elk for the most part in September though gets the long johns. Hope that makes sense

I am a huge fan of the FL merino briefs (they are expensive but I feel its worth it and they last a long time). I wear them every day at work. I dont ever put both on together. I agree that long johns do feel odd at first, however, the FL fuse is quite light and therefore, they dont bother me. I would imagine if they were thicker, their presence would be felt more. I hunt A Zone in CA during July for archery deer and temps are usually 100+ and I just wear the briefs then. Anything elk for the most part in September though gets the long johns. Hope that makes sense

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated.

TreGrizz

FNG
I wore a merino base layer directly on my skin for a 5 day elk hunt. plenty of sweating and no smell on day 5.

grey12345

FNG
Hey all,

I have a question regarding merino wool.

I have heard of guys wearing light weight merino wool base layers even in warm temps in early September archery elk hunts. they claim it will not absorb body odor / perspiration. They claim they can wear it on a week long hunt and it will not smell.

Any one have confirmation of this?
Does wearing the base layers in warm temps become unbearable?
I rock the first lite base layer during archery elk hunts. No complaints.