Montana tag distribution???

I am having a hard time understanding "general" tag distribution in Montana. Why are general tags not distributed by region if biologists are giving input as to how many tags should be available in their respective districts? Seems like a simple process. I have talked to game and fish about this twice and I get this condescending argument that "it all equals out" or "it is too complicated"... I fail to see how this could be so complicated. Am I missing something? Thoughts?

slick

WKR
Montana is an opportunity state, and most Gen tags only allow buck harvest. Bucks don’t contribute to the population.

If they are meeting their population objective then there’s no need to change. And they weren’t for a bit, that’s why you saw an increase in B tags.

Some of it is the process for pushing that through can be a pain (especially if they see no reason for it, and people don’t like change) so while you would like to see it, 75% of people wouldn’t want their opportunity reduced (just throwing a number out there)

Sure- some pockets of deer will get thwacked, and some won’t get touched. They’re thinking biggest picture here, not biggest bucks.

OP
100percent
Valid points!! As crazy as that may be for hunter experience! Seems like it creates a lot of overcrowding and over harvest of bucks in the western portions of the state. Nuts!

slick

WKR
This is directly from a R7 Bio’s mouth.. and it holds weight with me to a degree. Is that “hunters do naturally spread themselves out”..

My thoughts- sure, they can be concentrated at limited access areas, and areas of known game sightings (think state piece that everyone drives by on their way to work) but for the most part, people don’t want to be where other people are. They’ve also put the Unlimited mule deer permits in places to combat that and get more detailed info on the herd. Typically using a metric like hunter days afield/animal harvested.

mtmuley

WKR
Valid points!! As crazy as that may be for hunter experience! Seems like it creates a lot of overcrowding and over harvest of bucks in the western portions of the state. Nuts!
I can assure you there are units in the Western portion of Montana that aren't overcrowded. mtmuley

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the department (for the most part) has tried diligently to provide for as much opportunity as possible, while still protecting wildlife resources

beyond the general license being valid in most of the state, it's the reason we have a 5 week general rifle season (deer/elk) and have feverishly worked to keep that 5 week season, despite calls to shorten it, move it out the rut, etc

it's the reason in R7 that your antelope license is valid throughout the entire region and not limited to just one district

there are certainly cases that have prompted a pull back of opportunity, but as soon as that is remedied, the opportunity comes back

there are many states that have severely limited opportunities, I'm sure hoping we don't ever go down that road and continue to maintain as much opportunity as possible

OP
100percent
This is directly from a R7 Bio’s mouth.. and it holds weight with me to a degree. Is that “hunters do naturally spread themselves out”..

My thoughts- sure, they can be concentrated at limited access areas, and areas of known game sightings (think state piece that everyone drives by on their way to work) but for the most part, people don’t want to be where other people are. They’ve also put the Unlimited mule deer permits in places to combat that and get more detailed info on the herd. Typically using a metric like hunter days afield/animal harvested.

“hunters do naturally spread themselves out”.. Ha! the two biologists I spoke with used that same expresssion. At least they are consistent however antiquated! There is some truth in that but, us out of state guys have limited ability to scout and hunt multiple areas, when we scout out areas to get away from the crowds and the orange brigade turns out at daylight--it is a real heartbreaker especially when tag distribution would effectively limit some of that overlap... I guess it is what it is... I'm just happy to visit!

OP
100percent
the department (for the most part) has tried diligently to provide for as much opportunity as possible, while still protecting wildlife resources

beyond the general license being valid in most of the state, it's the reason we have a 5 week general rifle season (deer/elk) and have feverishly worked to keep that 5 week season, despite calls to shorten it, move it out the rut, etc

it's the reason in R7 that your antelope license is valid throughout the entire region and not limited to just one district

there are certainly cases that have prompted a pull back of opportunity, but as soon as that is remedied, the opportunity comes back

there are many states that have severely limited opportunities, I'm sure hoping we don't ever go down that road and continue to maintain as much opportunity as possible

Thank you for your service! I have been blessed to hunt in your state many times. You read my thoughts for what they are worth!

Lawnboi

WKR

I’m glad to hear this. Doesn’t make that tag cost hurt so bad.

Really enjoy Montana

Rich M

WKR
Am I reading this right?

NR hunter wants to cause MT to go to limited entry permits so he can have less hunting pressure when he hunts one of the more popular areas of the state.

OP
100percent
If that is your perception of what I wrote so be it... I am simply asking why the general tags are statewide and not by region, especially if regional data is collected and used in the cumulative tag projections. Managing by specific region makes sense to me but, I will play by the rules as always and be appreciative for the opportunity.

slick

WKR
If that is your perception of what I wrote so be it... I am simply asking why the general tags are statewide and not by region, especially if regional data is collected and used in the cumulative tag projections. Managing by specific region makes sense to me but, I will play by the rules as always and be appreciative for the opportunity.

Don’t sweat it. Most understand the concern. No harm in asking.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You could do a regional tag, and that wouldn't alleviate your concern. If all the tag holders hunted the same spots it would still be crowded.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
100percent
Overcrowding is just one of literally hundreds of issues and concerns that come to mind. Slick and Mtnwarden☝🏻have it pegged above. Montana is an opportunity state and manages for the greatest opportunity and will likely continue in that direction. Your home state (Utah) manages for quality, maybe a little too well!!! Hunter opportuity is limited but, hunter experience is elevated to the highest degree.
My whole point was that a good mix of the two might be prudent since the data was available. No complaints here, just trying to figure out the method to this madness (or mine)😬