Mountain Bike Seats

As an avid mountain biker, if you spend that much time in the saddle you are not doing it correctly :)

That said, they are one of those things you just need to experiment with. Like others I have had good luck with WTB and have pretty much run the same saddle for 20 years (well probably 5 or 6 of them in that time) I got lucky that the first bike I had had the saddle that fit me and I have stuck with it ever since. Contrary to what non bikers think, a lot of padding isn't really good for you. The WTB saddles have just enough padding IMO, but not enough to screw you up. A decent chamois and if needed talcum powder or some other lube helps, but I find I only need that when riding the trainer as I am seated a lot. AND..... a lot more seat time. Takes a while to get that tookus in shape!

TNLC100

FNG
Seats are a tough thing, kind of like shoes, lots of opinions, lots of range in price. I would just try a couple, the REI route as mentioned is not a bad thought. I am really liking my chromag seat. Probably wouldn't have shelled out the $ for it, but it was on the bike I bought this fall. It has been very comfortable. REI is also running 20% off for members right now.

Rokbar

WKR
Just get one of the wide seats from awl mart. They have several.
No,seriously, I put one of the square ones on the bike I use to ride hunting. So much better. I either pull a trailer or ride with a pack. I couldn't do it with a regular Mt. bike seat. Now for going and hitting the trails as a weekend warrior, a good Mt. bike seat is a must.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Others have mentioned it, but it's not as easy as just asking for advice. I used to work in the bicycle industry for over a decade. I have fit hundreds of people to saddles, and have probably thousands of ride hours personally on various saddles. Every person's anatomy is different, it's all based on bone structure, and your height/weight are not good indicators of bone structure. The WTB fit calculator that was posted earlier is pretty good, but any good bike shop should be able to measure your sit bones width, and deduce what you need based on that measurement, riding position, time in saddle, etc. If any saddle leads to numbness, replace it immediately, I have seen permanent nerve damage in customers who ignored their body for too long.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
As an avid mountain biker, if you spend that much time in the saddle you are not doing it correctly :)

That said, they are one of those things you just need to experiment with. Like others I have had good luck with WTB and have pretty much run the same saddle for 20 years (well probably 5 or 6 of them in that time) I got lucky that the first bike I had had the saddle that fit me and I have stuck with it ever since. Contrary to what non bikers think, a lot of padding isn't really good for you. The WTB saddles have just enough padding IMO, but not enough to screw you up. A decent chamois and if needed talcum powder or some other lube helps, but I find I only need that when riding the trainer as I am seated a lot. AND..... a lot more seat time. Takes a while to get that tookus in shape!
Haha yeah I've read that before. Hard to stand up going uphill with a backpack and rifle on your back but I try to. Most of my downhill is out of the saddle though.

Sounds like I'll definitely be getting some padded shorts.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Some hit the nail on the head ready. Too much padding is as bad as too little. Take a thick piece of cardboard, lay it on a flat surface and sit on it. Pull yourself down into it to make an impression of your sit bones and measure the width center to center. And get sit set up for that width. Too much padding and your sit bone nerves with have too much pressure on them and cause pain

Brendan

WKR
For everyone recommending padded shorts, getting measured for a good seat that fits you, not too soft - I'm 100% on board if you're actually mountain biking, training, etc., etc.

But, if you're getting this for a hunting bike and not putting in a ton of miles, you're not wearing lycra, so I'd go with one of the wider, softer commuter type seats that are fine and more comfortable for a short amount of time and wearing hunting pants, etc. Really comes down to time and intended use.

I'll personally be on the bike for 14 hours this week and most weeks up through mid August. In that case - GOOD bibs / chamois, good saddle that fits you, and chamois Butt'r. The only thing worse than walking around in bike shorts is chaffing your taint, nuts, or johnson.

Haha yeah I've read that before. Hard to stand up going uphill with a backpack and rifle on your back but I try to. Most of my downhill is out of the saddle though.

Sounds like I'll definitely be getting some padded shorts.
Yeah, I get it. Hard to climb out of the saddle, but take advantage when going down and get out of the saddle a bit when you can. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, but even when just coasting I try and stand up a bit!

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
Bike saddles do have a fit.

Lots of instructions online choose a side saddle based on your bone structure.

I strongly recommend working with a local bike shop (LBS). Often times they will have saddles you can borrow to try.

S.Clancy

WKR
The saddle soreness is more about the position of the seat than the seat itself. Those padded seats allow you to sit in incorrect positions on the bike. Any decent seat will do if it is positioned right. Go to a bike shop and have them show you.