MT vs. CO Dilemma

RCB

WKR
The $600 is already spent, so don't agonize over that. It's a sunk cost. The real question is, how much is the Montana tag? That's what's on the line now. Sounds like you anticipate to do better in MT than CO - but better enough to justify the added cost?

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Having just got back from CO, Burning the $600 doesn’t sound like a completely bad idea. I spent more time trying to get away from ATVs, SXSs and other hunters than hunting. Could be better in the unit you’re headed to, or maybe it’s the same in Montana.

Depends on your budget, 600 is a lot. Make the most of it wherever you end up. Good luck
This was my experience as well and the reason I'm going Otc until I have enough points for a better unit. I foolishly drew a new draw unit that was full of 4 wheelers and people.. camps every 200 yards. But that's part of learning as a new Elk hunter.. I'll hunt wilderness from now on..

Ask yourself this: When you are on your way home from Colorado with no elk will the $600 seem as important? Or.... if you happen to end up heading home from Montana with no elk will you be kicking yourself for losing that extra money?

I can tell you that E scouting is almost worthless. There are a thousand guys on the internet that e scouted until they were crosseyed and never saw an elk. So don’t let your internet hunting be a deciding factor.

The other thing to think about is what will you gain by hunting either state whether kill an elk or not. Your time is valuable. Each elk hunt you do should be more than just a hunt. Think long term. Each hunt should be an investment in the future. You should be able to go back to the same area each year a little wiser. That’s how you get consistent and depend more on your past experiences instead of luck. With that in mind I wouldn’t hesitate to forget about joining the army of hunters and outfitters and 4 wheelers in Colorado and get right down to business in Montana.

peddar01

FNG
I appreciate the feedback and insight. I am analytical by nature , so I made a list of pro/cons and the pros for me personally point to MT . I’d like to hunt MT more frequently in the future so I think I’m gonna buy the tag. I’m doubtful about a CO refund, but I’ll give it a shot.
I didn’t anticipate this opportunity so it was a little curveball last night when I was notified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck

You can hunt all season long in Montana with all the weapons, but the CO is only good for a short window of time with a specific tool.

Matt G.

WKR
I would not burn the 600. I would take it as an opportunity to learn new unit then maybe you can add or scratch off for the future...

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

jmav58

WKR
I’d go to Montana! Colorado is a zoo this year, between recreation , tourist and hunters it’s going to be worse than normal.
Montana is a zoo. There are groups of hunters walking over each other in small areas. I've seen 3 pickups with 3-4 guys a piece hunting Block Management that was only 800 acres. Also, more people recreating than just hunters.

TexasCub

WKR
I promise you that whatever you are calling a zoo is nothing like what we have going on here. A buddy went to climb a couple not so well known 14’rs last weekend and he got to the parking area of the trail heads at 4 am and the entire parking lot was full and filling out to the road, literally dozens of vehicles. Colorado has been crazy all summer and fall.

This was my experience as well and the reason I'm going Otc until I have enough points for a better unit. I foolishly drew a new draw unit that was full of 4 wheelers and people.. camps every 200 yards. But that's part of learning as a new Elk hunter.. I'll hunt wilderness from now on..

I thought drawing one of the new limited draw units would be a better option than OTC too. Couldn’t have been more wrong. Live and learn. I’ll have a better plan next year.

I agree with the above though by IndianSummer. I came home from CO with nothing to show for the $675. My only goal I had this year was to learn and get experience in the elk woods, and I honestly don’t think I can say I even achieved that. It was constantly trying to get myself into a position where I could actually hunt. Trying to outrun ATVs and SXSs, and then not be bugling to other Doug flutys once I got there. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have taken any other option I had.

TexasCub

WKR
I thought drawing one of the new limited draw units would be a better option than OTC too. Couldn’t have been more wrong. Live and learn. I’ll have a better plan next year.

I agree with the above though by IndianSummer. I came home from CO with nothing to show for the $675. My only goal I had this year was to learn and get experience in the elk woods, and I honestly don’t think I can say I even achieved that. It was constantly trying to get myself into a position where I could actually hunt. Trying to outrun ATVs and SXSs, and then not be bugling to other Doug flutys once I got there. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have taken any other option I had.

Fall Elk hunting in Colorado is so bad that I can’t imagine driving 1000 + miles with all kinds of high hopes for a great wilderness experience only to go home with a WTF look on my face. I live here and I haven’t even decided whether or not I’m going to hunt this month and I have the last 10 days of archery off from work. The hardest part is trying to decide how pissed I want to be after I drive a mere 150 miles from the house only to be inundated with hikers and hunters. Colorado has created the greatest shit show on earth with the unlimited OTC tags for nonresidents.

Fall Elk hunting in Colorado is so bad that I can’t imagine driving 1000 + miles with all kinds of high hopes for a great wilderness experience only to go home with a WTF look on my face. I live here and I haven’t even decided whether or not I’m going to hunt this month and I have the last 10 days of archery off from work. The hardest part is trying to decide how pissed I want to be after I drive a mere 150 miles from the house only to be inundated with hikers and hunters. Colorado has created the greatest shit show on earth with the unlimited OTC tags for nonresidents.

2,670 miles round trip. And that was the best part of the trip. Shitshow is probably the best word for it. But I’m hellbent on getting it figured out. I just want to hunt. That didn’t happen this year for the most part.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
2,670 miles round trip. And that was the best part of the trip. Shitshow is probably the best word for it. But I’m hellbent on getting it figured out. I just want to hunt. That didn’t happen this year for the most part.
My drive was similar.. honestly I saw more hikers bikers and 4wheel riders than I did hunters.. hunters I can deal with .. Someone walking through the woods with 4 dogs barking blaring music on their phones was tough.. just way too many roads for my liking.. I had a great time last year and killed a Elk .. next year I'll pack into an area sxs and such aren't allowed .

hobbes

WKR
MT will be here next year if you are disappointed in CO. No way in heck I'd burn the $600 CO tag to buy an $800+ MT tag and still very likely not kill an elk.

The likely hood of killing an elk is only around 10% either way. You'll say I should have went to MT if you don't kill in CO and say I shouldn't have spent the money if you don't kill in MT.