Muzzle Brake on a Hunting Rifle

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
This thread hurts my ears. Listen to post #17. A break on a 6.5 is not worth it IMO. I shoot an unbraked 6.5x284 Norma and I am able to see my shot, learn to load a bipod properly and that will help. The break is just not worth the bang that comes with it. I will not hunt with people who use them because last time I did and couldnt throw in my ear pro in in time my head rang for a week or so, which I am sure permanently damaged my ears. Always wear ear pro no matter what caliber or use of suppressor.

Lawnboi

WKR
You need a suppressor... cuts some recoil, noise and concussion.

I also wouldn’t put a brake on a 6.5 creedmoor. If anything I’d make the rifle a little heavier.

If I’m shooting a braked rifle I wear plugs and muffs.

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
The best muzzle break is one you can remove and put a thread protector on. It’s not a all or nothing deal.

I have a brake for a kimber Montana 6.5 creedmore. Relatively small investment since the rifle came threaded. I hunt 90% without it but when I am taking wife/kids we put the hearing protection on (like we do anyways) and can make great hits with it. Same with a 270 Ridgeline I have.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not for me. If someone is disciplined enough to pass a shot on an animal that jumps up 50 yards in front of them because they don’t have their plugs in, they’re a better man than me. My hearing is bad enough. Not going to finish it off.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I 100% agree with Fire_9. If you are shooting a brake, you NEED hearing protection. There are a LOT of electronic hearing choices out there and your hearing is one thing that you will NEVER get back. I wish that I had been taught at a young age to wear hearing protection anytime I was shooting. I shoot .22's with my kids and make them wear protection. I have shot a muzzle brake without hearing protection and it hurts... seriously hurts. I carry foam inserts in my pockets and have some muffs in my pack when I'm hunting. I also have some electronic inner ears that I shoot with on the range.

A 6.5cm isn't too loud and definitely doesn't have too much recoil so if you don't want a brake or a suppressor I get it. A good recoil pad or a heavier rifle would give lessen the recoil and make the shots easier to see. I still make some shots when hunting without plugs but if given the time, I definitely recommend it.

I am waiting for my first suppressor. People say its expensive, but how much is your hearing worth??? Lots of folks with hearing loss and lots of expense with hearing aids as they age. I think it will be a great investment (when it finally shows up!).

OP
General RE LEE
Just an update I decided not to do
Muzzle brakes on my hunting rifles. I don’t want to wear hearing pro while hunting and would rather spend $$$ on optics or reloading gear vs high end hearing pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock-o

WKR
You guys shooting muzzle brakes without hearing protection are absolute fools. It’ll catch up to you one day and then it’ll be too late. Something people don’t think about is their hunting partners. It’s all fine and dandy if you the shooter realize you need them but you’ll feel like a dick when you permanently damage your buddies hearing while he watched you shoot a buck.

If I have time I'll use ear protection. Almost always I do. Regardless, I hunt alone and take one shot, rarely a second, a year with my rifle that has a brake.

I wear the surefire the rubber ones you stick in your ears u can pop the little caps. I wear them uncapped that way if a quick shot presents itself i have some protection bu if have time close the caps

brushape

WKR
I’ve hunted primarily with a muzzle brake for a few years now and always try to put In plugs before the shot but sometimes there isn’t time. I’ve found they are really all that much louder to my ears it’s more of a concussion and for sure louder to people to the sides

cooperjd

WKR
My pops is 67 and can barely hear. He has shot rifles his entire life, without brakes, and without protection while hunting, and his hearing is F'd. He can't hear high pitched noises like watch beeps or crickets at all. For him to hear an elk bugle it has to be in his lap. I dont want to end up that way.

I do have a brake on a 338RUM. If I keep my .300wby I'll have to brake it too (it's pretty light) to make it enjoyable to shoot. I will be taking plugs with me hunting. The brake I use is designed to not come straight back, and is somewhat ok to the shooter, sucks to be off to the side, as with most brakes.

IMO a 6.5 creed doesn't need a brake. I load mine as hot as i can with 123gr absolute hammers and it feels like a toy. T3X with a BC stock. I use brakes when rifles have significant recoil that make them no fun to shoot, and i know i won't shoot them well. Everyone has their own reasons though, as well as recoil tolerance and stock fit to shooter.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My pops is 67 and can barely hear. He has shot rifles his entire life, without brakes, and without protection while hunting, and his hearing is F'd. He can't hear high pitched noises like watch beeps or crickets at all. For him to hear an elk bugle it has to be in his lap. I dont want to end up that way.

I do have a brake on a 338RUM. If I keep my .300wby I'll have to brake it too (it's pretty light) to make it enjoyable to shoot. I will be taking plugs with me hunting. The brake I use is designed to not come straight back, and is somewhat ok to the shooter, sucks to be off to the side, as with most brakes.

IMO a 6.5 creed doesn't need a brake. I load mine as hot as i can with 123gr absolute hammers and it feels like a toy. T3X with a BC stock. I use brakes when rifles have significant recoil that make them no fun to shoot, and i know i won't shoot them well. Everyone has their own reasons though, as well as recoil tolerance and stock fit to shooter.
I assume the guys on here that aren’t using protection are young and dumb. They’ll learn...the hard way. My dad heard his first bugle in decades a couple years ago. The bull was about 15 yards away screaming in his face. That’s about how close it has to be for him to hear them bugle! I don’t want that to be me, especially since I’m already struggling with high pitched in my left ear due to shooting.

Antares

WKR
I'm religious about hearing protection. I wear a headset when I vacuum, when I ride my 4wheeler, when I run a meat grinder, etc. Noise canceling Airpod Pros are great for this stuff too. I'm 40 and I have better hearing than most everyone I hang out with, I want to keep it that way.

I don't understand these arguments against wearing hearing protection..."I won't wear it because I want to hear what's going on around me in woods" Ok...so now you're going to be deaf as hell and when you get older you won't be able to hear what's going on around you in the woods....what am I missing?

It's not that big a deal. Wear one of these earplug bands around your neck and pop them in before you shoot. Yes, there will be an occasion where you don't get them in and you miss an opportunity. It's worth it. Those are the only ears you get, make them last.

Attachments

• Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

JFK

WKR
In my opinion there is little use in putting a break on some of these lighter calibers. I don’t understand it. Believe it’s being driven by the rifle manufacturers so they can call it an added “feature” and charge more. 6.5’s, 270’s with breaks? No thanks. These are calibers that women and children should be able to shoot without a break.

Also, even if you are diligent about hearing pro, how certain are you that your buddy next to you has his in? Again they just aren’t for me.

7wssm

FNG
All my hunting rifles have muzzle breaks from the light recoiling medium cartridges to the big magnums, for me it’s a must have

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I took my brake off my rifle. Most of my hunting situations I have to act fast, I do not have time to put on protection. If you ever hunt in the woods I can’t see a good reason to hunt with one. Most shots are less than 100 yards.

WTFJohn

WKR
It's a nice, quiet morning around here.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The constant companion, tinnitus.

Suppressors are the way on hunting rifles, not only is your hearing saved but the reaction of animals nearby from the shot is greatly reduced. This video is ~5 seconds after shooting a cow at under 100 yds, the rest of the herd knew something was up but couldn't place us or the shot. I'd also credit suppressors for my brother and I being able to pull off a double on elk this year, 15 yds and 30 seconds apart.