New rifle - for next season

Dunndm

WKR
I know this has been brought up a decent amount and it’s getting old for some. I sold my hunting rifles when I moved from the west coast to the east. I have bunch of brush guns, and shorter range rifles. I’m moving back to CA (yes, commifornia for family purposes). I will be hunting in Socal, central, AZ and hoping to get a Wyoming antelope hunt in. If I’m lucky I’ll get in some late rifle season this year. I have some decent glass that I took off my rifles before selling. So I’m looking for a rifle only package. What’s everyone’s go to? I’d like to be MAX 600. Preferably less.
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Tikka

Although I don’t own one (I’m a Winchester / Mauser guy), in that range I can’t think of a better option. Everyone I know who has one loves them.

prm

WKR
$600 will be a challenge. The easy button would be some form of T3X. Under $600, I had a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor that shot amazing.

edit: there’s a Ruger 7-08 in the classifieds for $575.

Last edited:
OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
$600 will be a challenge. The easy button would be some form of T3X. Under $600, I had a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor that shot amazing.

edit: there’s a Ruger 7-08 in the classifieds for $575.

I should have mentioned in OP. I’m trying to stick to either .308 or 6.5 CM since I have a good amount of ammo from my old rifles still.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Best advice this old guy can give you, go try some out, find the one that it’s you and just seems to line up by itself. Everyone has their favorites, sometimes more than 1, just have to find yours. Oh, and buy it before you move.

It’s like buying a new surfboard I guess haha you go in and feel it and hold it until one feels right

I should have mentioned in OP. I’m trying to stick to either .308 or 6.5 CM since I have a good amount of ammo from my old rifles still.

Tikka 6.5 creed is the easy button then. Or for less money the Ruger's shoot great but man are the actions rough and the 6 creedmor I bought my daughter doesnt feed for sh!t. It does shoot great though single feeding it.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Tikka 6.5 creed is the easy button then. Or for less money the Ruger's shoot great but man are the actions rough and the 6 creedmor I bought my daughter doesnt feed for sh!t. It does shoot great though single feeding it.

I might have to buy the 6.5 creed then, I didn’t care for the round at first but now I really enjoy it. Ammo can be a little tough to come by, but any ammo in commifornia is hard to come by.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Another tikka vote. I would stretch or go slightly used for a lite in stainless. I just bought one here for $650.

Man I want one but calling around my locals shops here new they run 849.99 made my butt pucker a little

jalire01

FNG
Just purchased a Ruger American creed 6.5 for 399.99. Just waiting for it to come in and mount my scope. Alot of hype around the tikka. I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Unckebob

WKR
I don't think you are going to find a new Tikka for less than around $650 + transfer fee if you buy online (I hate Optics Planet). I would look hard anyway in that price range.

A lot of people like the Ruger Americans, but I think the actions feel like hot garbage. In that lower price point, I much prefer the feel of the Winchester XPRs.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Just purchased a Ruger American creed 6.5 for 399.99. Just waiting for it to come in and mount my scope. Alot of hype around the tikka. I haven't heard anything bad about them.

I’m thinking of looking into the ruger American as well. Like I said I have decent glass I kept, just need a rifle that I can shoot 400 yards and not have to worry hah

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I don't think you are going to find a new Tikka for less than around $650 + transfer fee if you buy online (I hate Optics Planet). I would look hard anyway in that price range.

A lot of people like the Ruger Americans, but I think the actions feel like hot garbage. In that lower price point, I much prefer the feel of the Winchester XPRs.

Haven’t looked into that one yet. I’ll have to take a glance at that as well! Thank you

salo225

FNG
I’m surprised no one yet mentioned savage 10/110 platform. Definitely falls within your price range. Well-built. Barrell swaps seem pretty easy/DIY

I’m surprised no one yet mentioned savage 10/110 platform. Definitely falls within your price range. Well-built. Barrell swaps seem pretty easy/DIY
I’ve killed a pile of deer and antelope with a 25-06 Savage 110. Not fancy enough for Rokslide but it’s a monster and very accurate with factory ammo. A 117 SST at over 3,000 fps is a home wrecker. I hear the 100 gr TTSX moving faster are even more of a nightmare for deer.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve got 3 Ruger Americans. 2 with AICS mags and one with an AR mag. I’ve never had any feeding issues with these particular styles. I believe the early rotary mags had some problems. I would recommend something besides the rotary mags.
I know a lot of people don’t care for them, but mine have been super solid. And all shoot well. 2 Predators in 6.5 and 308 and a Ranch in 5.56/.223.
I’ll admit that there not Tikka’s, but there not Tikka money either.
Use a scope you already have and buy a RAP for $450. Spend the rest on ammo and shoot. IMO.

wnelson14

WKR
Howa 1500, easily customizable and upgradable (stock, bolt fluting, barrel change with a pre fit) in the future like the tikka,