New Sako S20 Hunter in 6.5CM + Precision stock - what now?

amassi

WKR
I just haven’t gotten around to shooting it yet. Deer season is in the way. I have 4 kinds to try eventually - S&B 140gr FMJ BT, Hornady 140 and 147 ELD-M and 140 Fed Tactical TMK. Can’t wait

One of those will hammer
The Berger 130 otm is an easy button as well, plus you get lapua brass out of the equation. I’ve never seen it not shoot lights out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
One of those will hammer
The Berger 130 otm is an easy button as well, plus you get lapua brass out of the equation. I’ve never seen it not shoot lights out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the Berger tip. They also seem to sell for a hair less than the ELD-Ms and TMKs.

I’ve not even shot it yet and I’m already having second thoughts about cutting it!

I have two of the Sako s20's with both sets of stocks for each. One in .300 Win Mag and another in 6.5PRC and both of them are tack drivers. The sling is on the other side of the .300 WM. I really like both guns.

s20s.jpg

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I have two of the Sako s20's with both sets of stocks for each. One in .300 Win Mag and another in 6.5PRC and both of them are tack drivers. The sling is on the other side of the .300 WM. I really like both guns.

View attachment 636401
Wow. That gives me a horrible idea. I've been second-guessing my initial decision to cut the barrel to ~16", in part because it looks so awesome as-is. Now I'm thinking I can get another and cut one. Such a bad idea.

SMH

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Wow. That gives me a horrible idea. I've been second-guessing my initial decision to cut the barrel to ~16", in part because it looks so awesome as-is. Now I'm thinking I can get another and cut one. Such a bad idea.

SMH
You should do it..... You really do need a back up rifle of the same caliber just in case deer ninjas abscond with your primary.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
I have the small case. Really works out well for me. Only one configuration will fit. Hate dragging full size case around airport. Broke down my muzzle loader and put it in the case for trip to Michigan (slight cut out required).

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Today I finally shot the rifle - full length barrel with a TBAC Ultra 9 (Gen 1) suppressor at around 1100 feet and 35-40 degrees. 10 shots each. All rounds are 6.5CM and all speeds are averages. If and when I get the barrel cut, I will retest and report back.
  1. S&B 140gr FMJ BT - 2653.0; 13.2 SD
  2. Hornady 140gr ELD-M - 2630.7; 11.4 SD
  3. Hornady 147gr ELD-M - 2615.2; 22.4 SD

Sako kinda pooped the bed on an otherwise excellent rifle forcing customers to either use their proprietary rail and rings or the machined rail.

The Tikka UPR is a CTR barreled action in a stock that is similar to the S20 but with better materials and a rough texture. The UPR also includes a 20 MOA rail. Wish they offered more calibers in the UPR like the S20.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sako kinda pooped the bed on an otherwise excellent rifle forcing customers to either use their proprietary rail and rings or the machined rail.

?

The Tikka UPR is a CTR barreled action in a stock that is similar to the S20 but with better materials and a rough texture.

They’re not remotely close.

The UPR also includes a 20 MOA rail. Wish they offered more calibers in the UPR like the S20.

Last edited:
?

They’re not remotely close.

I beg to differ. The S20 recoil pad spacers are a direct fit for the UPR stock.

No. The barreled actions are not similar but there are similarities between the S20 and the UPR stock. I don’t think it’s a stretch that the same team at Sako designed both.

It’s interesting Sako forces their customers to purchase their Optilock system but their Tikka line has a rail installed which allows the customer more freedom to choose their rings.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR

It’s interesting Sako forces their customers to purchase their Optilock system but their Tikka line has a rail installed which allows the customer more freedom to choose their rings.
I’m not sure what this has to do with this thread, but I suppose I cause more than my share of tangents. I imagine the rail setup depends on what you are shooting and the distance, which I think has been brought up before.

For me I have no issues with using the Seekins rings I had on hand, but I may switch to UM rings.

I’m not sure what this has to do with this thread, but I suppose I cause more than my share of tangents. I imagine the rail setup depends on what you are shooting and the distance, which I think has been brought up before.

For me I have no issues with using the Seekins rings I had on hand, but I may switch to UM rings.

The rail system is the only beef with the rifle. Otherwise I would have one. You either accept the 0 MOA rail machined in the receiver or you have to buy their proprietary system.

JGRaider

WKR
Been using the Arken Halo rings on my S20 6.5 PRC for a few months, killed loads of hogs, and dialed it shooting at targets about 300 times so far. The Arken 6-24x dials and returns to zero perfectly, gets you well past legal shooting light, and the S20 is superbly accurate and well made rifle, which should come as know surprise to anyone remotely familiar wth sako/Tikka rifles.

Also, the Bondstrike factory ammo is superb, and the bullet kills just as consistently as the accubond. The Golden match is superbly accurate as well and kills the crap out of pigs. Finally, the Garmin Xero chrono is stupid good and never misses a shot.

The Tikka UPR is a CTR barreled action in a stock that is similar to the S20 but with better materials and a rough texture. The UPR also includes a 20 MOA rail. Wish they offered more calibers in the UPR like the S20.
I'm using the proprietary rail and honestly that's part of the appeal for me. I really like both rifles I have and will absolutely be buying more. I'm not a big fan of the precision stock, but I'm a hunter not a range junkie so it's all good.

Slats!

FNG
I keep looking at this in 6.5 prc. I can get either the flutted and non flutted. Do you think there is an issue getting the lighter flutted with 6.5? Thanks

I keep looking at this in 6.5 prc. I can get either the flutted and non flutted. Do you think there is an issue getting the lighter flutted with 6.5? Thanks
Mine is the fluted barrel. I don't see it being an issue at all.

JGRaider

WKR
Norma Golden Target and Bondstrike in 143gr. The Hornady Precision ELDX is almost as accurate.

Slats!

FNG
That’s great. How are you finding the groupings with 6.5 prc. Does the barrel get pretty warm.

Every barrel gets warm as you fire rounds through it. With a good barrel it doesn't matter at all.